Thread: Original 35 or 50 B

Original 35 or 50 B

Sparked off by a previous thread about the Original 35, anyone know what the 'b' stood for in the 35 & 50 designation. 'M'is usually taken to mean match, but I don't recall seeing anything for the 'B'.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Sparked off by a previous thread about the Original 35, anyone know what the 'b' stood for in the 35 & 50 designation. 'M'is usually taken to mean match, but I don't recall seeing anything for the 'B'.
    I’m not sure it stands for anything. For both models the base model has no letter after the number and quite simple sights, the A has better open sights, and the B has an aperture rear sight, all on a sporting stock. M as you say is Match with the appropriate stock and the aperture rear sight and complex front sight.

The 50E, by the way, was a U.K.-specific bargain model with simple rear sight and no rail on the cylinder. E probably stands for England, if it stands for anything.

You might well be correct in that it doesn't stand for anything, it's possible. I had heard that the E was for export rather than country specific, do you reckon that's probable?

I agree. Its just a way of identifying the different variants. The Germans weren't the most imaginative and went with numbers and letters instead of cool names like Osprey, Tempest, Airsporter, Meteor etc.
    I dont think E meant export since the UK and other markets got all or at least several other variants.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    You might well be correct in that it doesn't stand for anything, it's possible. I had heard that the E was for export rather than country specific, do you reckon that's probable?
    I used to think that. But, on reflection, all models were exported widely, and the E appears to have been specific to the British market.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I used to think that. But, on reflection, all models were exported widely, and the E appears to have been specific to the British market.
    That's interesting,I hadn't realised that the 50E seems to be UK specific. I wonder why they decided to do that? I would have thought that it might have appealed to other markets too.

Rather like the older Diana's & Originals. Asside from the above models I think the pre war Diana model 27 with wooden forend is an unsung hero in terms of design & function.

I’ve always assumed that the 50E was a deliberate attempt to compete with the Webley Mk3 and Airsporter in the open sight mostly .22” farm gun market in the U.K.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Years ago i had a 50E it was a hideous thing, no bluing at all, the stock had been "refinished" with some orange tinted varnish that was as rough as artex & it had cold chisel scope rails hacked into its cylinder very badly. It was so bad you would have been embarrased to take it anywhere in company.
    But once i put a new washer & spring in it the thing shot like a demon. it was one of the most accurate rifles i ever had & i wish i hadnt got shot of it.
    Wouldnt mind it back if someone recognises the description.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I’m not sure it stands for anything. For both models the base model has no letter after the number and quite simple sights, the A has better open sights, and the B has an aperture rear sight, all on a sporting stock. M as you say is Match with the appropriate stock and the aperture rear sight and complex front sight.
    This.

The use of 'b' was simply to distinguish it from the 'a'. The former was sold with a diopter sight and cost a few marks more, the latter without a diopter and cost a few marks less.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    This.

The use of 'b' was simply to distinguish it from the 'a'. The former was sold with a diopter sight and cost a few marks more, the latter without a diopter and cost a few marks less.
    Thanks for that.

Thanks for all of your replies to this, its nice to know a bit more about the history of how the varriants were developed for certain markets. Still wondering if the 'E' varriant was sold to other countries, albeit with a separate designation. Any thoughts?