Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Military Pattern Heads Up

BSA Military Pattern Heads Up

Heads Up,

BSA Mil Patt on Gunst@r,S/No.36 (Not mine) £2600

I saw this and it looks a nice genuine rifle, priced to sell quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    It's not in great condition, apparently, according to someone who said it was desrcribed a 'grade 4' when it was up for sale in 1982. But if the seller is the BBS member of the same name, he's a very reliable person to deal with.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

My reality

A military is probably a nice unit to possess.
    However, this thought comes to the fore; a person can own a lot of nice pre and post war BSA;s for 2600 quid. Or any number of classic air rifles for that money.
    I imagine that there is a limited market for a military pattern or am I right off beat there?.
    Then again this is no concern or worry of mine because I am not old money, new money or any bloody money; readies or loan debt to heap on such an air rifle? Nah , not likely at all.
    Or is a military pattern better than money in the bank? It could well be, with the possibility of negative interest bearing down, or not.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 27-05-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    However, this thought comes to the fore; a person can own a lot of nice pre and post war BSA;s for 2600 quid. Or any number of classic air rifles for that money.
    I imagine that there is a limited market for a military pattern or am I right off beat there?.
    Then again this is no concern or worry of mine because I am not old money, new money or any bloody money; readies or loan debt to heap on such an air rifle? Nah , not likely at all.
    Or is a military pattern better than money in the bank? It could well be, with the possibility of negative interest bearing down, or not.

That's a bit like a classic car collector saying: Why would I want an Aston Martin DB4 for a million, or a Ferrari Berlinetta for two million. For that money I could own 25 MGB's, 15 Mini Coopers, assorted Ford Cortinas and a nice Hillman Imp! Much more interesting? Er, no.

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    That's a bit like a classic car collector saying: Why would I want an Aston Martin DB4 for a million, or a Ferrari Berlinetta for two million. For that money I could own 25 MGB's, 15 Mini Coopers, assorted Ford Cortinas and a nice Hillman Imp! Much more interesting? Er, no.
    Exactly. Ken if the market was that limited they wouldn't be worth lots of money. The only thing limited is the number of Milpats available.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Indeed they are limited, about 430 made, and many of those would have been exported to the 'colonies', therefore far fewer left in the UK. But it is not just the fact they are rare, important though that is when determining desirability.

After all a Relum Tornado prototype is probably rare, but who would want one, other than as a gift? No, it is the fact that the BSA Mil Pat also has presence. It is big, long, and heavy with a ruddy great bolt sticking out the side of it!

It is this aspect, plus the rarity, plus the history and provenance associated with them, (ie the army training connection) that makes them worth in excess of 2K. And looking at what collectors pay for far more modern and more common collectables in other fields, eg Star Wars stuff, 2K + is actually very good value.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Seller replied to my first enquiry, but not my second. Thought it might have sold.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Well, I am not a Classic car collector either so my perspective and rationale is governed by my interest and pocket.

If you had mentioned old Chevs, Fords, Nash et al you may have been closer in relativity to where my interests lie.
    In my world, ownership of a Aston Martin or Ferrari of any sort is incomprehensible. Equally a military pattern, stamps, coins ....

An MGB , Mini Cooper or Hillman Imp equally so but for aesthetic and engineering reasons.
    An early MK1 Cortina two door; yes. I had one in my youth and another 4 door GT 1500 when first married. The memories would be rekindled by ownership of another.
    We did slot a dirty 2.5 litre V6 Zephyr motor into a 4 door once. It could r*pe apes without a sweat.

If I fell over an MP I would snap it up but at 2600 quid? Not a hope in Hades.

Phone cards and registration plates were 'worth' money once too. Why was that?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 28-05-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Exactly. Ken if the market was that limited they wouldn't be worth lots of money. The only thing limited is the number of Milpats available.
    Perhaps a poll Danny?
    Who would buy a military pattern at 2600 quid or more, if one presented itself? A serious purchase we are talking about, not wishful dreaming.
    At 2600 quid, it would be a wishful dream for me; I couldn't justify the 'investment' when the bills keep coming in and the budget has to be met.
    My perceptions of values are personal and a variance. Maybe it is the same for others? Maybe not.

Perhaps a poll Danny?
    Who would buy a military pattern at 2600 quid or more, if one presented itself? A serious purchase we are talking about, not wishful dreaming.
    At 2600 quid, it would be a wishful dream for me; I couldn't justify the 'investment' when the bills keep coming in and the budget has to be met.
    My perceptions of values are personal and a variance. Maybe it is the same for others? Maybe not.
    It's quite possible nobody on the BBS would pay that much Ken but that's probably why it's advertised on Gunstar...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    But if the seller is the BBS member of the same name, he's a very reliable person to deal with.
    From his email it is, Danny.

And in my dealings with the vendor I have also found him to be a complete gentleman and a pleasure to deal with.

All the best Mick

Cheers chaps, yes it sold within a day of being advertised for full asking price, Bearing in mind I slept in that period as well! Gunstar is not a platform I like but after seeing one advertised on here a few months ago and not selling I thought it was the better place to advertise.

There were some very silly offers made by people chancing there arm and were met with a similar silly response

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Cheers chaps, yes it sold within a day of being advertised for full asking price, Bearing in mind I slept in that period as well! Gunstar is not a platform I like but after seeing one advertised on here a few months ago and not selling I thought it was the better place to advertise.

There were some very silly offers made by people chancing there arm and were met with a similar silly response

Never in doubt

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post

Can you share a photo please?