Thread: BSA Breakdown spring

BSA Breakdown spring

Could anyone please let me know the dimensions of the BSA Breakdown model spring? I stripped my first batch breakdown this afternoon &, when I unscrewed the trigger block there was no 'kick' as it came free because the spring was still a good cm. inside the cylinder. It's dimensions are 18.5cm long, 19.5 diam, 33 coils of 3.1mm wire. No breakages or kinks, evenly spaced between coils & smoothly ground ends. It looks in quite good condition but would appear to be too short when compared with the springs I've come across before, some of which have several cms preload.
    Looking forward to your learned opinions on this matter.
    Thanks, Glyn

Quote Originally Posted by Mzee View Post
    Could anyone please let me know the dimensions of the BSA Breakdown model spring? I stripped my first batch breakdown this afternoon &, when I unscrewed the trigger block there was no 'kick' as it came free because the spring was still a good cm. inside the cylinder. It's dimensions are 18.5cm long, 19.5 diam, 33 coils of 3.1mm wire. No breakages or kinks, evenly spaced between coils & smoothly ground ends. It looks in quite good condition but would appear to be too short when compared with the springs I've come across before, some of which have several cms preload.
    Looking forward to your learned opinions on this matter.
    Thanks, Glyn
    Not sure of exact dimensions but a meteor spring will fit, may need a coil or 2 removing though.
    Regards Graham

Thank you very much Graham. I'll get hold of a meteor spring when Aaron Wheeler opens up shop again & experiment with it.
    I've put the old lady back together &, with the short spring, is very easy to cock, producing 3.8 ft.lbs & half inch groups at 8 yards & very smooth to shoot. In fact, an ideal little garden gun as she is. I'm tempted to leave things as they are, but I'd like to see how she performs with a longer spring when I can get to the club again. It would only take a few minutes to swap springs over.
    Best wishes, Glyn

I've seen them shoot 3/4" groups at 20 yards. Iron sights and shooters eyesight seems to limit them though

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    I've seen them shoot 3/4" groups at 20 yards. Iron sights and shooters eyesight seems to limit them though
    Now there's a challenge for me & my Breakdown!