Thread: Wadcutters

Wadcutters

Hi, I have bought an off the shelf Air Arms MPR Precision in .177. I fancy have a go at 10 metre rifle. I have just chrono'd it with RWS R10 match rifle pellets, at 8.2grains. and it is averaging 8ftlbs. I tried H an N Field Target Trophy Power which are 8.8 grains and it came down to 4.5ftlbs, which is just about right. The H and N's are dome pellets and not really suitable for paper Target shooting. I havent been able to find any quality wadcutters above 8.2 grains. Can anyone recommend a suitable pellet please?
    Last edited by jimmytwobikes; 29-05-2020 at 06:16 PM.

RWS r10
    http://nmproducts.co.uk/rws-r-10-mat...s-p-70466.html
    various head sizes and weights, there is rifle and pistol versions of this pellet
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Jimmy

Its about accuracy and consistency, not power, the RWS R10 and for a rifle in 8.2gr are the ideal and probably the best pellet for that rifle for accuracy and consistency, any variance in power is the rifle, MPR stands for Multi Purpose Rifle, the action was not designed for 10 mt precision, just use the R10's probably in 4.50 size, stop worrying about the power, and just concentrate on learning 10 mt technique.

I have been coaching and shooting for 40 years, and with all makes of rifle, I can count on my thumbs the number of times I've Chrono'ed a match air rifle and only when there was a fault.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Jimmy,

What matters is what pellet shoots the most accurately for you and in your rifle.

For now, velocity & energy are immaterial.

I would recommend that you get a copy of Mr. Carter's most excellent book 'Air Rifle Target Shooting' - truly packed with informations, written by a shooter who has 'been there and seen that' at the international level

( As an aside, the RWS R10 Rifle weigh in at an actual 7.77 gr., despite them being labelled as 8.2 gr. nominally )

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Hi
    as above but why not try some air arms wadcutters ? Made by jsb for them.
    Cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    RWS r10
    http://nmproducts.co.uk/rws-r-10-mat...s-p-70466.html
    various head sizes and weights, there is rifle and pistol versions of this pellet
    Thanks for this link, i didnt know of them. They certainly do a lot of kit, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Jimmy

Its about accuracy and consistency, not power, the RWS R10 and for a rifle in 8.2gr are the ideal and probably the best pellet for that rifle for accuracy and consistency, any variance in power is the rifle, MPR stands for Multi Purpose Rifle, the action was not designed for 10 mt precision, just use the R10's probably in 4.50 size, stop worrying about the power, and just concentrate on learning 10 mt technique.

I have been coaching and shooting for 40 years, and with all makes of rifle, I can count on my thumbs the number of times I've Chrono'ed a match air rifle and only when there was a fault.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Cheers mate, I agree with everything you say, and i do love those RWS R10's. I am just trying to get the gun to shoot under 6ftlbs which as you know are the rules for the 10 metre shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Jimmy,

What matters is what pellet shoots the most accurately for you and in your rifle.

For now, velocity & energy are immaterial.

I would recommend that you get a copy of Mr. Carter's most excellent book 'Air Rifle Target Shooting' - truly packed with informations, written by a shooter who has 'been there and seen that' at the international level

( As an aside, the RWS R10 Rifle weigh in at an actual 7.77 gr., despite them being labelled as 8.2 gr. nominally )

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ
    Thanks for the advice, interesting point about the RWS R10's, I have never weighed them, i will do now though!.

cheers/.

Quote Originally Posted by Helm View Post
    Hi
    as above but why not try some air arms wadcutters ? Made by jsb for them.
    Cheers ian
    Its impossible to know everything about shooting, i didnt know that Air Arms did pellets! I will have a look now, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmytwobikes View Post
    Cheers mate, I agree with everything you say, and i do love those RWS R10's. I am just trying to get the gun to shoot under 6ftlbs which as you know are the rules for the 10 metre shooting.
    Which rules do you intend to shoot under? There is nothing in the NSRA rules that refers to muzzle energy.

8.2.4 10m air rifle. Flat headed projectiles of 4.5mm (.177in)

8.3.4 Air. Any type of compressed air or CO2 rifle of calibre 4.5 mm (.177 in).

Rutty

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

power

Jimmy

Rutty is spot on, in the UK, 6 ft/lb is generally club rules, and only for the protection of the range, I have never heard of any club or competition testing the actual ft/lb of any rifle, some clubs may have a quiet word with some one with a clearly over power (12 ft/lb) rifle who is knocking lumps out of the range furniture.
    If you go to the British Championships you will see the Sporter class, which is predominantly using the MPR (dozens of them), and no one bothers or cares about whether any (or all?) are pushing an extra jule, just forget it and shoot it with decent pellets.

Pellets are so cheap I'd recommend RWS R10 rifle (marked 8.3) in 4.50, or Qiaung Yang in the same size and weight.

Enjoy the sport and have fun.

Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thank you for your invaluable assistance, I used to shoot 10m pistol, and i thought the 6ftlb rule applied to all 10m competitions. With the benefit of hindsight i could have saved myself a packet by not buying the MPR as i already have an S200. Mind you the MPR is much lighter to hold standing. I am a big fan of RWS R10's so will continue to use those.

Is there a league for bench rest 10m rifle? I am partially disabled and cannot stand upright for too long. I do FAC 25 yard rimfire at benchrest, which is great.

I belong to a fullbore rifle club, i only shoot air rifle, but the 10m air range is limited to 6ftlb only either rifle or pistol.

There is a 10m benchrest comp on here but its springers only.

I have just got some r10 rifle pellets from intershoot for a fair price

Thumbs up

Bisley practise are 8.18gr
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive