Thread: Cheap scopes vs expensive scopes on springers.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Cheap scopes vs expensive scopes on springers.

I am asking out of ignorance as I know little about scopes and have only used cheap scopes with quality one piece mounts and have been satisfied so far and find them hard to fault as you seem to get a lot for your money these days.

I was wondering would there be a big gain if I treat myself to more expensive scope, what improvements could I expect in simple terms please

[QUOTE=Barryg;7877460]I am asking out of ignorance as I know little about scopes and have only used cheap scopes with quality one piece mounts and have been satisfied so far and find them hard to fault as you seem to get a lot for your money these days.

I was wondering would there be a big gain if I treat myself to more expensive scope, what improvements could I expect in simple terms please[/QUOTE i

Image quality.
    Build quality.
    Longevity.
    Pride in ownership.
    All adds up for a good shooting experience..
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

I mounted a Relatively cheap Hawke Vantage scope on a HW springer with 2-piece mounts and the scope quickly broke under recoil.

Since then I’ve always fitted Hawke Vantage scopes on HW springers with Sportsmatch 1-piece Dampa mounts with no problems.

Make of that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    I mounted a Relatively cheap Hawke Vantage scope on a HW springer with 2-piece mounts and the scope quickly broke under recoil.

Since then I’ve always fitted Hawke Vantage scopes on HW springers with Sportsmatch 1-piece Dampa mounts with no problems.

Make of that what you will.
    Just wondering what part of the scope broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just wondering what part of the scope broke.
    Reticle broke.

Hawke Vantage aren’t intended for springer airguns!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    Reticle broke.

Hawke Vantage aren’t intended for springer airguns!
    And where pray tell did you get this little gem...?

To my knowledge ALL Hawke scopes are spring gun rated.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Springers are had on scopes, better quality ones tend to last and perform better.

If you can afford a "better one" then I'd say go for it, not just by a few quid though, you need to jump up a level or two from what you have to see and feel the quality - it's just a nicer overall experience like driving a nice car.

If you get it second hand you will get most of your money back on selling it, so it's not really costing you a lot extra to actually own it
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Springers are had on scopes, better quality ones tend to last and perform better.

If you can afford a "better one" then I'd say go for it, not just by a few quid though, you need to jump up a level or two from what you have to see and feel the quality - it's just a nicer overall experience like driving a nice car.

If you get it second hand you will get most of your money back on selling it, so it's not really costing you a lot extra to actually own it
    Don't laugh these are the type of scopes that I have been using for a lot of years but to me they seem clear and I have had no problems, only one in the pic made in Japan, I'm still a open sight fan but starting to get a interest in scopes

What kind of money are you talking about £500 new or S/H something like that I have seen them for 1000's

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Don't laugh these are the type of scopes that I have been using for a lot of years but to me they seem clear and I have had no problems, only one in the pic made in Japan, I'm still a open sight fan but starting to get a interest in scopes

What kind of money are you talking about £500 new or S/H something like that I have seen them for 1000's
    Dude, if they work, don't knock it! I love my springer's, but I'll never spend more than £200 on a scope for a springer. In my long experience, the Sportsmatch Dampa mount, available in 1" and 30mm, will allow anything to be mounted on a springer without issue. Dampa mounts are available via our sponsor, J S Ramsbottom, at a very competitive price.

The Hawke Vantage SF 3-12x44 was mentioned in an earlier post today as performing well on springers. I am also having great results with that scope on HW and AA springers and you can pick one up new for well under £200.

HFT addict

hi,
    I have used Optisan, MTC, Sightron and even Bushnell Elite Tactical on my Walthers, never had any problem.
    Keeping zero and adjusting focus and return to the old value, without problems.
    But for a beter quality the pain will be in the wallet, the joy is for a lot longer time;-)
    Best,
    HJM

I'm using a discovery VT-2 on my HW99 in two piece mounts - not probs so far! Decent scope for the money.

Hawke 3x9 40 mm AO

I have used this Hawke scope on a Benjamin Trail NP & now on my HW95L with no scope problems so far. Good luck.