Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap scopes vs expensive scopes on springers.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    I tried a cheap Nikko Sterling mountmaster once but it kept loosing it zero. May have been a one-off. Today I have various Hawke Airmax, Bushnell Legend and Nikon Prostaff on my springers. I would say they are more in mid price range.

I had a Simmons once too, was a nice piece of glass. Sold it on with HW80.
    I was wondering about others who have a mountmaster and if it was just pot luck if you got a nice one as I can't fault my 3-9x40
    but I think there must be something wrong with it because it was so cheap, it feels so robust especially with the one piece mount.
    The Nikko panamax looks interesting

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    The Nikko panamax looks interesting
    Yes they are nice scopes with decent lenses, they come up on here for sale every now and then and if you can pick one up for about £60-70 then they are a good buy, try to get an AO model as I bought a non AO model the other day and trying to adjust the front lens can be a problem, mine had so much thread lock on it, I had to heat it up to get it to turn but in the process it fogged up the front lens, so I'm going to have to get that sorted out now but don't let that put you off.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

ive had decent scopes on springers with a good damper mount ive had no issues

I've got a few quality scopes on some of my springer's, but the most surprising budget type scope for me is the Hawke reflex 6x42 with Mill dot ret, bought off here from fellow BBS members for £30 posted. What a great scope and very easy to reparrallax for airgun ranges.
    I have 3 fitted on various guns.
    Les.

Hearing good things about Konus.

In my 30 plus years of shooting airguns, I've always used the cheaper end of the scope market, certainly nothing flash or pricey. I've always used Sportsmatch two piece mounts and touch wood, never had a scope break.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    In my 30 plus years of shooting airguns, I've always used the cheaper end of the scope market, certainly nothing flash or pricey. I've always used Sportsmatch two piece mounts and touch wood, never had a scope break.
    As above. Where possible, however, I prefer the extra reassurance of a one-piece mount, but I've never used a Dampa mount.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Never heard anything good about Konus, from anyone who know about scopes.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

When I used £50 scopes, I was happy with them, still got a couple for plinking,
    When I used £150 scopes, I was very happy with them, still got a couple & they're superb at sub-12 airgun range,
    I never expected to be using £350 scopes, but now that I do, I appreciate how much better they are for FAC & rim-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by tmstech View Post
    Never heard anything good about Konus, from anyone who know about scopes.
    A couple that I was drawn towards, (and with etched reticles too which seemed even more puzzling), were only rated for up to 7.5 Joule air rifles. Perhaps someone in the know could shed some light?

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    A couple that I was drawn towards, (and with etched reticles too which seemed even more puzzling), were only rated for up to 7.5 Joule air rifles. Perhaps someone in the know could shed some light?
    I'm sure JSR sell the Konus scopes. I'd be interested in any answers.
    Which models were you interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    I bought quite a few of these scopes from an industrial unit landlord, who had been left with a bit of rent owing and a vanished tenant. I paid small money for them against RRP and bought everything from the Konus Pro M30 (top of the range IIRC) to their entry level Konus Shot. The M30's were good and I had no issues with them (one on a pcp and one on a springer) and the built in spirit level was useful and not too distracting. The Konus Pro scopes I had were okay, but one was killed by my FWB127 (a 3.5-10x44). All were parallaxed at 100yds and all were glued , which made re-parallaxing a pain (but worth it as optics were nice and clear). I still have at least four of these scopes on different springers, preferring the 32mm lenses.

I've had a couple of cheapy Hawke & Nikko scopes for years. In their time, they've been mounted on all sorts of springers and have never given any trouble. I have previously owned some higher quality (as in Nikon etc.) scopes and while you can undoubtedly see the difference for my type of use they're just not worth the extra outlay.

Of course, if I was shooting a centre fire at 600 yards then it might well be a different story.

While this may possibly ruffle a few feathers, it’s my personal, honest opinion.

I know that things like “pride of ownership” “bling factor“ and the “if it’s expensive, it must be better” effect, make some people find their shooting more enjoyable... So for them... Yes... A more expensive scope might be worth getting. And If you shoot in competition and you’ve spent lots of time perfecting your “soft hold” and you’ve already spent a lot of money having your gun tuned. A comparatively tiny increase in accuracy is well worth the extra cost.

On a springer, With a solidly clamped one piece mount, there’s little creep and consistency will be slightly improved, but all the shock goes through the scope and that’s not so good for it’s longevity. With two piece mounts, creep is more likely, and will reduce the shock by a fraction. But having the mount possibly moving around isn’t brilliant for consistency .

I’m quite happy to put my Sidewinder on any PCP with no worries. But on my TX200 I’ve got a £75 Mountmaster 3-9x50 AO on a one piece Sports Match mount, Because I don’t shoot it in competition, and at 40 yards, my groups are only a couple of millimetres larger than the ones I shot with my Sidewinder, while I was waiting for the Mountmaster to arrive by post.

I might have to replace the Mountmaster once, or twice over time if the gun shakes it to bits, and I might have to zero it more often, but I’m not going to risk losing a £400+ scope, when I don’t shoot in competition, and never shoot pests, or game beyond ethical 12FtLb range.

Like I said... It’s only my opinion... Others will differ... And even some who agree, will still use expensive scopes, because of peer pressure.
    Where be your gibes now? Your songs? Your gambols? Miserable bugger!

The best IMHO are cheap formerly expensive scopes.

Unfashionable ex-firearm use Leupolds (eg 4x28, 4x33, 6x40).

80s Japanese ones with less sought after brand names, but probably from the same factory or at similar quality levels. Not Optima or Venom. But the others. 80s ASI, Nikko Sterling, Kassnar, Original, etc etc. Lower-spec Tascos. Japanese or Filipino Simmons. 70s/80s Bushnells.

Once you get into Tasco TR (£100-150) or Leupold 4-12x40 or 6.5-20x40 (£200-250) territory, you are buying exceptional build quality and glass. If you don’t need/want 30mm tubes, or IR, or complex reticles, that’s what you need/want.