Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap scopes vs expensive scopes on springers.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Cheap scopes vs expensive scopes on springers.

I am asking out of ignorance as I know little about scopes and have only used cheap scopes with quality one piece mounts and have been satisfied so far and find them hard to fault as you seem to get a lot for your money these days.

I was wondering would there be a big gain if I treat myself to more expensive scope, what improvements could I expect in simple terms please

[QUOTE=Barryg;7877460]I am asking out of ignorance as I know little about scopes and have only used cheap scopes with quality one piece mounts and have been satisfied so far and find them hard to fault as you seem to get a lot for your money these days.

I was wondering would there be a big gain if I treat myself to more expensive scope, what improvements could I expect in simple terms please[/QUOTE i

Image quality.
    Build quality.
    Longevity.
    Pride in ownership.
    All adds up for a good shooting experience..
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

I mounted a Relatively cheap Hawke Vantage scope on a HW springer with 2-piece mounts and the scope quickly broke under recoil.

Since then I’ve always fitted Hawke Vantage scopes on HW springers with Sportsmatch 1-piece Dampa mounts with no problems.

Make of that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    I mounted a Relatively cheap Hawke Vantage scope on a HW springer with 2-piece mounts and the scope quickly broke under recoil.

Since then I’ve always fitted Hawke Vantage scopes on HW springers with Sportsmatch 1-piece Dampa mounts with no problems.

Make of that what you will.
    Just wondering what part of the scope broke.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Springers are had on scopes, better quality ones tend to last and perform better.

If you can afford a "better one" then I'd say go for it, not just by a few quid though, you need to jump up a level or two from what you have to see and feel the quality - it's just a nicer overall experience like driving a nice car.

If you get it second hand you will get most of your money back on selling it, so it's not really costing you a lot extra to actually own it
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just wondering what part of the scope broke.
    Reticle broke.

Hawke Vantage aren’t intended for springer airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Springers are had on scopes, better quality ones tend to last and perform better.

If you can afford a "better one" then I'd say go for it, not just by a few quid though, you need to jump up a level or two from what you have to see and feel the quality - it's just a nicer overall experience like driving a nice car.

If you get it second hand you will get most of your money back on selling it, so it's not really costing you a lot extra to actually own it
    Don't laugh these are the type of scopes that I have been using for a lot of years but to me they seem clear and I have had no problems, only one in the pic made in Japan, I'm still a open sight fan but starting to get a interest in scopes

What kind of money are you talking about £500 new or S/H something like that I have seen them for 1000's

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Don't laugh these are the type of scopes that I have been using for a lot of years but to me they seem clear and I have had no problems, only one in the pic made in Japan, I'm still a open sight fan but starting to get a interest in scopes

What kind of money are you talking about £500 new or S/H something like that I have seen them for 1000's
    Dude, if they work, don't knock it! I love my springer's, but I'll never spend more than £200 on a scope for a springer. In my long experience, the Sportsmatch Dampa mount, available in 1" and 30mm, will allow anything to be mounted on a springer without issue. Dampa mounts are available via our sponsor, J S Ramsbottom, at a very competitive price.

The Hawke Vantage SF 3-12x44 was mentioned in an earlier post today as performing well on springers. I am also having great results with that scope on HW and AA springers and you can pick one up new for well under £200.

I'm using an old Hawke Sport 4x32 on a Beeman C1 in a Dampa mount - I like the simplicity of the scope and 30/30 reticle but, I suspect that it's survival has been helped by the mount.

All of the above.

I have had a massive different selection of scopes over the years. For my springer, I always thought my leupold 3-9x33 EFR was as good as it could get. I then bought a rifle with a “cheap” scope already mounted, I thought I would be taking it off and selling it.
    I have now sold the leupold and have kept the cheap scope as I prefer it!!!

Get yourself a 3-9 x 40 nikko panamax- they truly are value for money.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I started with cheap Chinese scopes which seemed to fall apart and then I splashed out and bought a Bushnell banner, this was about 20 odd years ago, so it was the older better style of Bushnell scopes and was impressed with the build quality, I then joined the forum and ended up buying a secondhand Bushnell Trophy which was fantastic and a step up lens wise from anything I'd had before, so I've sort of stuck with the older Bushnell Trophies and Legends but I have found Nikko Stirling Panamax scopes to be on a par with the Bushnells, so have a tendency to try and buy them secondhand now, I don't normally spend much more than £100 on one unless it's an exceptionally good (as in make and lens quality) secondhand one.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 30-05-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    Dude, if they work, don't knock it! I love my springer's, but I'll never spend more than £200 on a scope for a springer. In my long experience, the Sportsmatch Dampa mount, available in 1" and 30mm, will allow anything to be mounted on a springer without issue. Dampa mounts are available via our sponsor, J S Ramsbottom, at a very competitive price.

The Hawke Vantage SF 3-12x44 was mentioned in an earlier post today as performing well on springers. I am also having great results with that scope on HW and AA springers and you can pick one up new for well under £200.
    I have old simmons pro are on my springers. Yes they are old and have duplux recticles but they take vety harsh recoil and wont break. Can pick them up for £100-120.

I tried a cheap Nikko Sterling mountmaster once but it kept loosing it zero. May have been a one-off. Today I have various Hawke Airmax, Bushnell Legend and Nikon Prostaff on my springers. I would say they are more in mid price range.

I had a Simmons once too, was a nice piece of glass. Sold it on with HW80.
    Last edited by Dragonboy; 30-05-2020 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Simmons

How many use the dampa mount on their springers and rammers?
    Suppose if you had a cheap scope you may feel its not worth the money to put it on a dampa mount which may cost more than the scope itself. The cheap scope would probably need it more to protect from shock, whereas if a more expensive scope that may not require a dampa mount due to better build quality was fitted you may feel you need to protect that investment with a dampa mount if you get my drift. I have recently bought a Nikon 3-9x4O efr and have fitted it to my RM1OO on standard 2 piece mounts, i haven't shot it yet as i am wondering should i just splash out on a damper mount to be safe.
    Last edited by buttloaves; 30-05-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    I tried a cheap Nikko Sterling mountmaster once but it kept loosing it zero. May have been a one-off. Today I have various Hawke Airmax, Bushnell Legend and Nikon Prostaff on my springers. I would say they are more in mid price range.

I had a Simmons once too, was a nice piece of glass. Sold it on with HW80.
    I was wondering about others who have a mountmaster and if it was just pot luck if you got a nice one as I can't fault my 3-9x40
    but I think there must be something wrong with it because it was so cheap, it feels so robust especially with the one piece mount.
    The Nikko panamax looks interesting