Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap scopes vs expensive scopes on springers.

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    How many use the dampa mount on their springers and rammers?
    Suppose if you had a cheap scope you may feel its not worth the money to put it on a dampa mount which may cost more than the scope itself. The cheap scope would probably need it more to protect from shock, whereas if a more expensive scope that may not require a dampa mount due to better build quality was fitted you may feel you need to protect that investment with a dampa mount if you get my drift. I have recently bought a Nikon 3-9x4O efr and have fitted it to my RM1OO on standard 2 piece mounts, i haven't shot it yet as i am wondering should i just splash out on a damper mount to be safe.
    Never tried dampa mounts here, always use Sportmatch two piece. Never felt the need as I always tune my springers so they have a smooth firing cycle. I have had no issues with with Nikon scopes.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    The Nikko panamax looks interesting
    Yes they are nice scopes with decent lenses, they come up on here for sale every now and then and if you can pick one up for about £60-70 then they are a good buy, try to get an AO model as I bought a non AO model the other day and trying to adjust the front lens can be a problem, mine had so much thread lock on it, I had to heat it up to get it to turn but in the process it fogged up the front lens, so I'm going to have to get that sorted out now but don't let that put you off.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

ive had decent scopes on springers with a good damper mount ive had no issues

I've got a few quality scopes on some of my springer's, but the most surprising budget type scope for me is the Hawke reflex 6x42 with Mill dot ret, bought off here from fellow BBS members for £30 posted. What a great scope and very easy to reparrallax for airgun ranges.
    I have 3 fitted on various guns.
    Les.

Hearing good things about Konus.

In my 30 plus years of shooting airguns, I've always used the cheaper end of the scope market, certainly nothing flash or pricey. I've always used Sportsmatch two piece mounts and touch wood, never had a scope break.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    In my 30 plus years of shooting airguns, I've always used the cheaper end of the scope market, certainly nothing flash or pricey. I've always used Sportsmatch two piece mounts and touch wood, never had a scope break.
    As above. Where possible, however, I prefer the extra reassurance of a one-piece mount, but I've never used a Dampa mount.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I've had a couple of cheapy Hawke & Nikko scopes for years. In their time, they've been mounted on all sorts of springers and have never given any trouble. I have previously owned some higher quality (as in Nikon etc.) scopes and while you can undoubtedly see the difference for my type of use they're just not worth the extra outlay.

Of course, if I was shooting a centre fire at 600 yards then it might well be a different story.

Never heard anything good about Konus, from anyone who know about scopes.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

I bought quite a few of these scopes from an industrial unit landlord, who had been left with a bit of rent owing and a vanished tenant. I paid small money for them against RRP and bought everything from the Konus Pro M30 (top of the range IIRC) to their entry level Konus Shot. The M30's were good and I had no issues with them (one on a pcp and one on a springer) and the built in spirit level was useful and not too distracting. The Konus Pro scopes I had were okay, but one was killed by my FWB127 (a 3.5-10x44). All were parallaxed at 100yds and all were glued , which made re-parallaxing a pain (but worth it as optics were nice and clear). I still have at least four of these scopes on different springers, preferring the 32mm lenses.

When I used £50 scopes, I was happy with them, still got a couple for plinking,
    When I used £150 scopes, I was very happy with them, still got a couple & they're superb at sub-12 airgun range,
    I never expected to be using £350 scopes, but now that I do, I appreciate how much better they are for FAC & rim-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by tmstech View Post
    Never heard anything good about Konus, from anyone who know about scopes.
    A couple that I was drawn towards, (and with etched reticles too which seemed even more puzzling), were only rated for up to 7.5 Joule air rifles. Perhaps someone in the know could shed some light?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    Reticle broke.

Hawke Vantage aren’t intended for springer airguns!
    And where pray tell did you get this little gem...?

To my knowledge ALL Hawke scopes are spring gun rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    A couple that I was drawn towards, (and with etched reticles too which seemed even more puzzling), were only rated for up to 7.5 Joule air rifles. Perhaps someone in the know could shed some light?
    I'm sure JSR sell the Konus scopes. I'd be interested in any answers.
    Which models were you interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I'm sure JSR sell the Konus scopes. I'd be interested in any answers.
    Which models were you interested in?
    Both Konus Pro's, the 3-9x32 AO and the 2-7x32 fixed focus ones and yes, the info was gleaned from JSR's website.