Hi Folks,
I’ve been tweaking and sorting an old BAM DB4 over the last few weeks ( some may have seen my crazy snakeskin sprayed stock )
I got a chance to try it at a longer range than in the garden last week, and it’s reasonably accurate at 25yrds. ( Open sights ) However, although I originally stripped the spring, piston and compression chamber, cleaned and greased it all up, it still ‘twangs’ quite a bit

It’s running at an average of 8.7ftlbs with an average spread of 10fps, which I’m happy with ( it’s not a hunting gun ). I was reading a bit about top hats, spring guides and sleeves and having a lathe and some suitable Delrin rod I was wondering about
making a top hat for it and whether it would help with the twang ?
I haven’t done any measurements yet but i seem to remember when i took it apart there wasn’t much room between the spring and the piston so I’m not sure if there’d be room for a liner.

The questions I have are, if I do make a top hat, how thick does the end have to be, I assume were it goes into the spring it has to be a reasonably tight fit so the spring rotates on the delrin, also if it’s a reasonable thin end do I have to remove anything off the spring or live with a bit more pre-load? There isn’t a large amount of preload anyway.

i know it’s only a cheap chinese job but from what I’ve read on here and the UKCAF forum they can be turned into a reasonable plinker so any advice would be very gratefully received.

Norm