Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I haven't gone mad , have I ?

I haven't gone mad , have I ?

I want a chinese break barrel,
    I have been doing so much development on the 21mm set up , which incidently is finished / finalised maybe , that I fancy a change I fettled a club members xs208 recently, simple tart up: o ring head and buttoned skirt , but it got me thinking , I have fancied doing a reduced cylinder 95 for a while , but they hold there price , now the xs208 is if you close your eyes and ignore the poxy engineering is a copy of a diana 34, so it has a good trigger which is half the battle , so reduce the cylinder to either 23/22mm depending on the stroke , make a new, steel probably piston , button everything, I reckon it would make a superb lightweight break barrel, either that or a Remington express, ( found a shop soiled one for £95 unfortunately in scotland !) these have a similar trigger group to the rekord so should be able to get it working well, only problem now is I dont have one , any out there ?

Go for it, Nick.

I'd have a damned good search once the shops re-open and have a good shop around, or see if anything comes up at the right price in the Sales Section. A wanted ad might bear fruit?

That same action you mention will also be available under different names, as many different rifles are marketed under different names. A friend of a friend got one last year, but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

Once the shops re-open, I'd guess there'll be a few used ones to be had at the right money.

You might also want to consider the Remington Pest Control that Pete Evans has on review in the current AGW? Think he got his for £60 brand new? He'll be taking a look inside it next month.

Something deeply satisfying about getting a low budget gun performing well. Indeed, some can impress out of the box anyway. With your expertise and knowledge, I can't wait for the outcome.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Smk

Had a couple of the SMK19's and for the money they are not a bad rifle and hard to beat for the price. The XS208 is also a great buy. Mach 1.5

Remington pest controller which ( I think ) is a smk xs19 rebadge are being sold new at neath gun shop for £59,95, having one myself as soon as they reopen...

I've done a HW95K reduced LWP Nick. Extended the stroke a little. I'm a bit light on the piston at 130gms or so.

I can't believe how well it shoots....IT'S ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I fettled a 208 a few years ago, even got a T06 conversion kit and fitted that, it shot really nice with a tuning kit as well.

I buggered up the thumbhole stock trying to fit an adjustable cheek piece so broke it for spares in the end.

I still have a cylinder if you're interested?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I employed a variation for my breakbarrel 24mm project.... instead of buying something that was made at a low quality level, I bought something that was made at a decent quality, but abused down to a nice cheap price
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Nick,
    Just PM'd you regarding an XS208.

Regarding some of the other models, old xs20 (B26) are HW95 clones, so pretty good, especially with the clone Rekord trigger. XS19 are good for the money, I have one here now and have dropped in a very soft spring. It's doing 8 ft/lb, but is a joy to shoot as the new spring is a very good fit to the original guide (12mm dia). The Remington's are nicely made, but the pistol grip takes some getting hold of - you have to consciously locate it in your grip to get anywhere near consistent. For me on the Express the best grip isn't ergonomically instinctive, you have to work on it. Otherwise it's a nice shooter.

I have a very nice XS-B20 ready for sale at £100, waiting for Kempton Park, these are a copy of the HW 95. Mine is very smooth shooter at 11.2 ft.lb.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

For the SMK 208, also look at the Ruger Air Hawk series (same gun)

Chinese stuff can shoot very well, I had an AGS SR2 think it was called and a SMK B20 both the same gun and very good to use.
    My prized one though is the TX200 clone called BAM B40 in .22 which i have had for a very long time now.
    Shoots as well as the TX200HC mk2 I have. It's smooth enough to shoot well but obviously the finish isn't as good as on the TX One of those guns that one enjoys shooting and never will part with!!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    For the SMK 208, also look at the Ruger Air Hawk series (same gun)
    Yep, and I think the one I was trying to remember earlier was a Hammerli Black Force (or something along those lines).

Whatever Nick ends up using as a base, I think it's fair to assume that the result will be something quite special.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Remington pest controller which ( I think ) is a smk xs19 rebadge are being sold new at neath gun shop for £59,95, having one myself as soon as they reopen...
    It may be worth giving Phil a ring, number on the website. He might be able to reserve one, from what I've heard they are selling like the proverbial hot cake

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Go for it, Nick.

I'd have a damned good search once the shops re-open and have a good shop around, or see if anything comes up at the right price in the Sales Section. A wanted ad might bear fruit?

That same action you mention will also be available under different names, as many different rifles are marketed under different names. A friend of a friend got one last year, but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

Once the shops re-open, I'd guess there'll be a few used ones to be had at the right money.

You might also want to consider the Remington Pest Control that Pete Evans has on review in the current AGW? Think he got his for £60 brand new? He'll be taking a look inside it next month.

Something deeply satisfying about getting a low budget gun performing well. Indeed, some can impress out of the box anyway. With your expertise and knowledge, I can't wait for the outcome.
    The Remington PC is a well finished gun for the price, for £60 I still don't know how it's possible.
    Trigger really needs attention, due to the creep, spring is too stiff and the piston weight too heavy, certainly a good project though.

I already did an X's 19 way back when I was starting out, it ended up with a lightened short stroked o ring piston, I modified the trigger to two stage , shortened and shrouded the barrel , it was pretty good but the trigger let it down , gave it to a mate as his 60th birthday present, god just realized that was 9 years ago !