Thread: Intention tremor

Intention tremor

My shake when i try to do stuff like use a screwdriver or hold a glass has been diagnosed as intention tremor. Do any pistol shooters on here suffer from this and is it possible to reduce its effect on holding an aim point?

Any advice gratefully received.

After looking it up I would suggest get a 2nd opinion .
    Increasing the weight of the pistol / wrist weights may help.
    If you’ve not done so have a look at the management of it on Wikipedia .
    Hope this helps
    James

Tremor

Have you tried shooting with your weak hand? I found I had to concentrate far harder, and this forced me to concentrate on the basics and when I reverted to using my dominant hand I was shooting better! David

Are you able to use a two handed grip, such as isosceles or perhaps a weaver stance?
    If not, try resting between shots: lowering the pistol to the bench for a few seconds then come back up onto target and take your shot.
    I hope you find a technique which helps
    Best of luck
    Nigel

Thank you all for your replies. The tremor seems to affect only one side. I'll need new grips to switch hands. Maybe that's not such a bad idea as I used to play a musical instrument that needed a lot of facility in my left hand. Then there's only my eyes to swap round.
    Last edited by flintlock50; 08-06-2020 at 04:45 PM.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Tremur

If you wish to shoot competitions, there is a rested pistol event, where you shoot with a correct single hand hold, but with the bottom of the grip rested on a 50 mm dia bar.

Its not as easy as it sounds, there is a competition promoted on here for the event under the MPL group, and some county competions include it, and it is also included in the British Championships.

If you PM "Zooma" on here he can give you the rules and run down on it.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    If you wish to shoot competitions, there is a rested pistol event, where you shoot with a correct single hand hold, but with the bottom of the grip rested on a 50 mm dia bar.

Its not as easy as it sounds, there is a competition promoted on here for the event under the MPL group, and some county competions include it, and it is also included in the British Championships.

If you PM "Zooma" on here he can give you the rules and run down on it.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Thank you Robin. I'll bear that in mind. I might have another go at the GP, he didn't seem to thik it was anything worse than the effects of time. But maybe I can persuade him on a quality of life argument.

Intention tremor

My shake when i try to do stuff like use a screwdriver or hold a glass has been diagnosed as intention tremor. Do any pistol shooters on here suffer from this and is it possible to reduce its effect on holding an aim point?
    Have just found this thread and glad I did as I have been suffering from this for some time and did not know that it had a name. I thought in my case it was due to a trapped nerve, but after having many Thai massages there was no improvement.
    Had to switch to left hand shooting, and though my left eye is the dominant one, there is the start of a cataract which keeps altering the astigmatism and hence the prescription. May have to go private to have it done.
    I tried weights on the pistol, they do not stop the tremor, also light weight training - no benefit from that either.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    Have just found this thread and glad I did as I have been suffering from this for some time and did not know that it had a name. I thought in my case it was due to a trapped nerve, but after having many Thai massages there was no improvement.
    Had to switch to left hand shooting, and though my left eye is the dominant one, there is the start of a cataract which keeps altering the astigmatism and hence the prescription. May have to go private to have it done.
    I tried weights on the pistol, they do not stop the tremor, also light weight training - no benefit from that either.
    Maybe we should form a club or try to get protected minority status. Good luck. My tremor seems to be bilateral.