Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who agrees with idea for new RULE on sales - ?

There's always a trick in photography
    https://youtu.be/vrUQ0X7SI-M

If I was to buy an item that was no longer made and I was told that a seal was blown then I would have looked to see if spares were available .

I was going to buy an old .22 rimfire from my local RFD cheap and I found out the reason it was cheap was that spares were non existent and the rifle in question would no doubt need spares as it was far from pristine in looks plus it needed a few parts replaced but at £50 it was dirt cheap. If I had bought it may have became a paper weight .

Bottom line is don't expect the seller to tell you what you could have researched yourself especially when you have been told the thing may need spares like seals .
    Last edited by bighit; 02-06-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Most on here are trusted sellers, Any concern I would rather face to face ,

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    If I was to buy an item that was no longer made and I was told that a seal was blown then I would have looked to see if spares were available .

I was going to buy an old .22 rimfire from my local RFD cheap and I found out the reason it was cheap was that spares were non existent and the rifle in question would no doubt need spares as it was far from pristine in looks plus it needed a few parts replaced but at £50 it was dirt cheap. If I had bought it may have became a paper weight .

Bottom line is don't expect the seller to tell you what you could have researched yourself especially when you have been told the thing may need spares like seals .
    Dam wish i had you as my crystal ball. As he was a long standing member a little to much trust was put his way. Will not fall far that shite again.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Dam wish i had you as my crystal ball. As he was a long standing member a little to much trust was put his way. Will not fall far that shite again.
    He did say it had a leak as you admitted in your post correct ?

Your words from the above post

Only thing he could said was wrong was that the bulb seal had gone. He said it dumped the C02 when he put a bulb in it so thinks the bulb seal had gone but be could not be bothered to change it so was selling it off cheap as an easy fix

If I was told the above I would have done a search to find out if spares were available before I bought it and I guess others would also have done the same .

It does not matter how long the seller has been on here to be ripped off . Its happened before and no doubt will happen again.

Following the forum advice around buying and selling.

I bought a sidewinder scope and offered to paypal immediately, but was told bank transfer only?

I asked again and the seller agreed to provide a paypal address.

Sadly then he updated the sale as 'still for sale' and someone happily bank transferred the money

I think majority of people will not have a problem with adding a picture with name and date if they want to sell stuff on here. As already said on this thread, that even with pictures it can still arrive different to whats being advertised, that could be down to numerous reasons, eg not being honest or just having a different standard.
    So maybe adding a feedback section for sellers/ buyers could help.

Quote Originally Posted by nonmank View Post
    Following the forum advice around buying and selling.

I bought a sidewinder scope and offered to paypal immediately, but was told bank transfer only?

I asked again and the seller agreed to provide a paypal address.

Sadly then he updated the sale as 'still for sale' and someone happily bank transferred the money
    Maybe a bank transfer was offered at the same time, Myself unless the buyer has a bucket load of posts I would rather monopoly money over paypall , Its that dodgy now.

OK then.

After six years of being on the Admin team and seeing thousands of sales on here, the number of reported disputes in that time would be less than 100 --- it's probably less than 50 but I'm being generous.

A superb photograph of the item being offered for sale alongside a piece of paper with the vendor's username and date is worthless if the item never shows up.

Another problem with buying from a photograph rather than a written description is that a gun could look mint in a photograph but when it lands on the buyer's doorstep it could be a complete knacker, in the event of a dispute the vendor can then simply turn round and say "you saw what you were buying"', leaving the buyer with no comeback.

Earlier this year Admin ran a running battle with Freeads dealers trying to join the forum and invade the sales section, some got through and a few had sleeper accounts and were already members --- thankfully they seem to have moved on now.
    The only way Admin can keep the sales section in order is by removing access from dodgy sellers and folks who are only on here to trade, and by completely banning anyone who we consider to be a scammer --- this has worked for the last twenty years and I see no reason to change it now.

All the best Mick

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Although I do use photos, I have to use an external site to host them as posting photos here is a right royal PITA.

Where people get into trouble is falling over themselves for a 'bargain' when they could have asked for pictures anyway.

Remember the old days when you used buy things from classified ads in papers?

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    He did say it had a leak as you admitted in your post correct ?

Your words from the above post

Only thing he could said was wrong was that the bulb seal had gone. He said it dumped the C02 when he put a bulb in it so thinks the bulb seal had gone but be could not be bothered to change it so was selling it off cheap as an easy fix

If I was told the above I would have done a search to find out if spares were available before I bought it and I guess others would also have done the same .

It does not matter how long the seller has been on here to be ripped off . Its happened before and no doubt will happen again.
    Neglected to say about the glued on bloody back sight though eh and unless you had a close up pic you would not see that it was glued. . Bighit you always reply negitively. Yes the spare parts as in the seal i should have checked but the rear right is not original and was glued on ffs. If a long standing member tucks you up you have no chance with a newbie eh. Just leave it there!

I completely agree, pictures can only help so much when buying any second hand goods- doesn’t matter what the item is people’s perception of VGC, good condition, needs work etc... will vary. I think it just helps with the overall forum look and ethos, attracts new members to the forum and sport? I’m not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs i’m active a few different forums (non gun related) and over the years have seen some flourish and some stagnate and fall away.

Unfortunately it’s inevitable that you will get the chancers, closet dealers and scam artists on any forum, just as a suggestion why can’t the sales section have limited access, say 3/6 Months and a minimum post count? May help with wheedling out the undesirables..... I for one wouldn’t have minded waiting to access it, haven’t bought anything as of yet, just a good reference point for me seeing what second hand bits are making.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    OK then.

After six years of being on the Admin team and seeing thousands of sales on here, the number of reported disputes in that time would be less than 100 --- it's probably less than 50 but I'm being generous.

A superb photograph of the item being offered for sale alongside a piece of paper with the vendor's username and date is worthless if the item never shows up.

Another problem with buying from a photograph rather than a written description is that a gun could look mint in a photograph but when it lands on the buyer's doorstep it could be a complete knacker, in the event of a dispute the vendor can then simply turn round and say "you saw what you were buying"', leaving the buyer with no comeback.

Earlier this year Admin ran a running battle with Freeads dealers trying to join the forum and invade the sales section, some got through and a few had sleeper accounts and were already members --- thankfully they seem to have moved on now.
    The only way Admin can keep the sales section in order is by removing access from dodgy sellers and folks who are only on here to trade, and by completely banning anyone who we consider to be a scammer --- this has worked for the last twenty years and I see no reason to change it now.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    OK then.

All the best Mick
    I think you are spot on mick. No amount of pics will show the flaws or the mechanical faults. Its still just a lucky dip when you are buying gear out there. I have sold quite a bit and have always been over honest when selling stuff even if it means i will be stuck with it. I have never and will never lie or tuck anyone up with stuff i am selling. No amount of pics will show faults up. Its as should be the sellers integrity to give a honest s
    Discription of things that the pics do not show up

Red face

Try telling the 20 something brigade that we used to buy things without pictures , scouring the freeads, waiting for the Autotrader magazine to come out..... they’d look at us like we had two heads or something

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Although I do use photos, I have to use an external site to host them as posting photos here is a right royal PITA.

Where people get into trouble is falling over themselves for a 'bargain' when they could have asked for pictures anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post

In sales photo's are piss easy as you add them as attachments direct from "your photo's" on the computer.