Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who agrees with idea for new RULE on sales - ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A picture can be very deceptive and not show what you expect.
    3-4 years ago I was looking for a .410" shotgun. I found one advertised, with photo's and it looked good.

my brother and I drove from Manchester to south Shropshire only to find that the butt had been sawn off in the past and screwed back on with pozidrive screws. The joint was very poor and did not show on the pictures. It was either taken at an angle that threw it into the shadows or it had been photo shopped. The muzzle had been filed at an angle, which did not show in the pictures.

It was, without doubt, a wasted journey.

Everyone’s opinion will differ- Doesn’t matter what the item is Forums are changing, people expect more info in the advert, I’m amazed the adverts I see, basic details are not listed, age and pictures etc.... I know this is not a selling platform but still I’m quite surprised how archaic it is.

Forums need fresh members otherwise it’ll stagnate, way I look at it if I was in my 20’s would this forum appeal to me? Would it attract new younger members to the sport?

On another note I’m loving all the info on here, valuable for someone starting out again (just need more pictures ;-)

Just an observation; not criticism...

Quote Originally Posted by Roblny View Post

On another note I’m loving all the info on here, valuable for someone starting out again (just need more pictures ;-)

And adverts need buyers, not browsers. anyone genuinely interested will tend to ask questions and request more details.

Currently, I want to sell some Blacksmithing items. The description is clear enough and if people need pictures, they won't know what they are looking at anyway and are probably just wasting my time. the items weigh about 200kgs so would have to be collected anyway and can be viewed then, much better than photos.

You can look at different ways, more browsers, more new members, more customers for the forum sponsors...... pictures attract buyers no matter what the product. Yes I agree can also attract tyre kickers, that’s the downside of selling anything.

I can’t see what the harm is posting up some quick pictures to go with an advert, if you’re prepared to send them to potential buyers then no reason not to post on the advert.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    And adverts need buyers, not browsers. anyone genuinely interested will tend to ask questions and request more details.

Currently, I want to sell some Blacksmithing items. The description is clear enough and if people need pictures, they won't know what they are looking at anyway and are probably just wasting my time. the items weigh about 200kgs so would have to be collected anyway and can be viewed then, much better than photos.

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    I think the excuse for cannot upload pictures is a bit weak.

Go here

1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    I think the excuse for cannot upload pictures is a bit weak.

Go here

If only we were all as perfect as you neil

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    If only we were all as perfect as you neil
    I was trying to help.

I used to do a lot of this, until I got wazzed off with the apathy on here.
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    I was trying to help.

I used to do a lot of this, until I got wazzed off with the apathy on here.
    Neil i have tried off my phone following advice to load pics so many times i lost heart. I managed to change my avatar once many years ago. But every time i try pics it always stops whilst uploading and says "loading of pics failed" if it was that easy why are so many of us ffs failing. maybe off a conputer it works but i do not have one. It seems a bit hit and miss depending on the device bring used to upload the pics. Sorry i snapped at you but it is not that we dont want to put pics on posts, irs because we have tried and failed and most probably because of the nature of uploading them does not work with the certain devices we use, ie phones. Also my minimum pixel on my phone is 10 megapixel so might be to large a file to upload. I tried seeing if i could minimise that on the pic but my phone cant do that. I am lost what else to do. I certainly aint buying a computer just for uploading pics thats for sure. Chris
    Last edited by WILBA; 07-06-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roblny View Post
    Everyone’s opinion will differ- Doesn’t matter what the item is Forums are changing, people expect more info in the advert, I’m amazed the adverts I see, basic details are not listed, age and pictures etc.... I know this is not a selling platform but still I’m quite surprised how archaic it is.

Forums need fresh members otherwise it’ll stagnate, way I look at it if I was in my 20’s would this forum appeal to me? Would it attract new younger members to the sport?

Yes, you got it, change now required IMO - And as the economy will be trickier, anything to reduce / discourage those that would take advantage, the better ....
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Yes everything is going to be trickier and challenging- I’ve only been here a short while so not sure how many cases of members being ripped off/ taken advantage of there have been. Still it doesn’t take much effort to put the basic details with pictures on an advert.

I was a member of the snooker forum for years, brilliant forum and is still going albeit barely... didn’t change for years, just relied on the older established members, no fresh blood, by the time it did try and change it was too late. Funnily enough I used to actually post pictures up for a couple of members that couldn’t work out how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Yes, you got it, change now required IMO - And as the economy will be trickier, anything to reduce / discourage those that would take advantage, the better ....

pics

I also like pics of the item for sale, I personally find they help as by the time you have asked for pics the item has usually been sold unseen or through pm. All sales through pm should see sellers banned for a period then we all know where we are up to.. Yes on the thread only and photo`s and date compulsory,,
    I also dont post photo`s through url at all so unless its coming off my camera or desktop then it is not going to be for sale on a forum.. Fed up with clicking on a picture then having to untick all the boxes for that particular hosting site,, Col.

For me if the seller is unwilling to put up or send pictures then its the buyers choice ultimately.

If you want to sell something why on earth wouldnt you want to show it? More so if its something expensive.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    I also like pics of the item for sale, I personally find they help as by the time you have asked for pics the item has usually been sold unseen or through pm. All sales through pm should see sellers banned for a period then we all know where we are up to.. Yes on the thread only and photo`s and date compulsory,,
    I also dont post photo`s through url at all so unless its coming off my camera or desktop then it is not going to be for sale on a forum.. Fed up with clicking on a picture then having to untick all the boxes for that particular hosting site,, Col.
    I agree that hosting sites are a PITA, but you don't need a hosting site to post pictures in the sales section here.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Why only the sellers band?????

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Why only the sellers band?????
    Why either banned when the rules allow it?

Dave
    Smell my cheese