Thread: Hammerli Prinz - CO2 Valve Service

Hammerli Prinz - CO2 Valve Service

The Hammerli Prinz - 1967 - 1970 was Hammerlis second and final model that could shoot both .17 pellets and lead bbs from its rifled barrel.

On all of the Prinz models that I have owned, all but one has held gas. When the one that is the subject of this thread came to me it leaked all of it's gas straight out of the barrel. As with all Hammerli gas pistols they are well made and were designed to be stripped with just a few tools.
    The valve is a improved Sparkler design and once released from the pistol body you have to hold the end cap in soft jaws of a vice, as Hammerli did not provide any notches in which to undo the end cap. The only 'O' ring in the whole valve is the one that seals the cap. This should be replaced as even if it is not hard it will be deformed. The valve itself uses a ball bearing that is knocked off a polyurethane ring that then lets the gas flow through the stem and straight to the back of the pellet, no 90 degree bends to negotiate. On inspecting the ball bearing with a loop it was perfect, no marks or pits. On doing the same with the poly ring, which has a concave lip on one side that the ball bearing seats in. Best to mark up this side with a permanent marker.

My poly seat the side that seats against the valve stem body was marked up and scratched. Refinishing that side and checking the face of the valve stem to ensure it was flat and straight. You do not need to try and remove the valve stem from the cap as there are no seals in it, just clean it out and blow it through with an air line or use your mouth .Lubed and back together it now holds gas. It does help to have a Hammerli bulk fill cap, so that you don't waste 12grm CO2 bulbs when testing.

[IMG]MVC00005 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02994 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02991 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Just like a modern co2 pistol...not!

Wow wow wow.
    Thank you Mark for this excellent report, and the photos are great too.
    A great design; only one o-ring. That is remarkable.
    When you think of the number of o-rings in many other CO2 pistols...

May I ask you, how many shots do you get per bulb, at which velocity (with pellets)?
    And do you also have a box/paperwork? Just out of interest lol.

Regards, Louis

-2 in my garage today, so staying in the warm

Velocity around 370 - 380fps with pellets.

Gamo lead ball works well in the mag. On a warm 20-25C day you can expect around 60 shots per 12grm CO2 bulb. Can also use 8grm as Hammerli supplied a screw in adapter.

I will try out some pellets and lead ball on my testing device and post up some photos tomorrow.

Both boxed and some holes in one lid from previous life. Nice box design, but put a bullseye target on a pellet pistol box and you are asking it to be shot at.

Never seen specific owners manual for a 'Prinz' - maybe have a single sheet set of instructions. They did the same with the Rapid pistol, just stuck a sticker on the Master manual and added a few pages inside.

Some examples of shot pellets and gamo lead ball into a steel plate. Both sets identical as to how 'flat' they are.

The original 'inner' is a red flock on red plastic that is strengthened on the rear with wood strips. The second box has a polystyrene inner, that has been added at a later date. The original inner is a fragile item and most are cracked or damaged in some way.

End cap is as straight forward as can be, just a simple C clip to push off to release the inner parts. A simple seal that is a hard rubber like compound. Just cleaning required normally as the seal s very durable.

One of my examples is like new and in the box was the attached 2 sheet Instruction manual in it's own envelope. How quaint is that! It's in German only and instructs on loading 5 balls and single shot pellets and a section on using CO2 bulbs. Interestingly the Instructions are dated Aug 1967 the 1st year of production.

[IMG]DSC02995 by Mark
    Davis
    , on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02996 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02997 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC02999 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC03000 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC03001 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC03004 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC03007 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC03008 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC03009 by Mark Davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mark
    Just stunning. Do you have to cock it each time to fire or is it semi auto?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgibbar View Post
    Mark
    Just stunning. Do you have to cock it each time to fire or is it semi auto?
    It has to be cocked for each shot, just like a Sparkler. The only semi auto that Hammerli made was the Rapid.

Those look great, nice collection and excellent clear photos. I’ve not tried any of the Hammerli CO2 pistols but they certainty look like the design had beep well thought out and well engineered. Will have to keep my eye our for one.