Thread: Walther LVG .177 - not what I was expecting!

Walther LVG .177 - not what I was expecting!

After many years away from airguns, I decided to buy a airgun to shoot rabbits, to beat the 'lockdown' blues. Naturally I chose a springer due to lack of compressed air supplies during lockdown, and it is for casual use. I did my homework, and chose a used Walther LVG, as I read it could be a top choice. I had owned a Walther Dominator LG300 FT in the past and was mighty impressed by that, so expected good things!

Wow, what a shock. The trigger was poor to say the least, with massive sloppy first stage creep. The action did not deliver the smooth shot cycle I had read about, certainly not much better than my HW77s from the past. The accuracy was initially all over the shop. I had shot springers pretty well in the past (all Weihrauchs), and this just seemed like hard work. However I set about making some changes...

First, the trigger had to go. I bought and fitted a BM Precision trigger. I adjusted down the stages to my liking, and removed the first stage travel to only 4 or 5 millimetres. The second stage is now really crisp. So that solved the problem of me pulling off some shots. The only problem I was not aware of was that the safety is made redundant by this trigger blade. So I removed the mechanism, and that solved the rattle from the gun.

Next, I realised that for the best accuracy, my left hand had to be close to the forward stock screws. I had initially bought a compact scope that had a short eye relief (and it just did not deliver a clear view, casting shadows). I replaced it with a Sightron 10x42. The eye relief is nearly 4", so now the scope is further forward, improving the balance and dulling some muzzle flip. So now there are less stray shots.

Thirdly, I bought a Tin Bum Tuning Maximiser kit. The original gun was putting out 10.9lbs. When I opened the action, I noted that the top hat was partly broken. I used the replacement TNT kit, but the power exceeded 13 fpe. I had to shorten the spring (my first attempt at this) and I butchered it! So, I used the original Walther spring, and two power washer. The power is now 11.2 fpe.

The chronography results (Webley mosquito express 7.9g) shocked me with how consistent it now was. I think some PCPs may struggle to deliver this consistency. Average 800 fps, high 803, low 796, spread 7, standard deviation 2.2 over 10 shots.

Lastly, to get more stealthy for the bunnies, I fitted a piston sleeve and a moderator. The Huggett Atom (Belita Mini) fits the gun perfectly, and completes the handling. If I miss, I can now get that second shot in, and the bunnies cannot find me!

Accuracy at 20 yards seated on a bean bag (5 shot groups) is respectable I think. Can be covered by a 5p. I need to try it over longer distances properly, but I have done a 5 shot seated groups at 45 yards that can be covered by a 10p. Groupings at 55 yards do open up a good bit though, but I think I am rusty and need some more practice. I would love to hear what others have managed to achieve?

The only thing I have noted is that the gun does go through breech seals quite quickly. The top edge often develops slight split outer edges. Luckily they are cheap and easy to replace, but I wonder if others share the same experience? I don't ever remember replacing a Weihrauch breech seal.

I'm now very pleased. However I did not expect to have to invest so much effort, based on what I had read. It has been worth it now I think.
    Weihrauch HW30s, Hawke 2-7x32 Endurance AO

I have 4 LGVs and after adjusting the factory trigger they are superb.

Only one of them had a slight boing so I put a sleeve in that, and although mine are incredibly quiet from the start, I put a specially made moderator on my hunting gun which has made it ultra quiet, to the point people don't belive it's a springer.

Having spent more money on other well known makes, the little work done on the Walthers is worth every penny. As for muzzle flip, I have had none what so ever. All four of them are absolutely pinpoint accurate, smooth, quiet and a joy to shoot.

I am not sure what yours is doing to the breach seals but I have never changed them in the few years I have had them let alone the few months you have had yours. That to me needs further investigation.

Along with the 2 LGU's they are wonderful rifles and more people should give them a try. They are as accurate as any of my Weihrauchs, Air Arms and Dianas and they are superbly accurate.

A short eye relief scope is best avoided on a springer even how smooth the Walther is, at least you found out before you got Snipers eye.
    Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    I have 4 LGVs and after adjusting the factory trigger they are superb.

Only one of them had a slight boing so I put a sleeve in that, and although mine are incredibly quiet from the start, I put a specially made moderator on my hunting gun which has made it ultra quiet, to the point people don't belive it's a springer.

Having spent more money on other well known makes, the little work done on the Walthers is worth every penny. As for muzzle flip, I have had none what so ever. All four of them are absolutely pinpoint accurate, smooth, quiet and a joy to shoot.

I am not sure what yours is doing to the breach seals but I have never changed them in the few years I have had them let alone the few months you have had yours. That to me needs further investigation.

Along with the 2 LGU's they are wonderful rifles and more people should give them a try. They are as accurate as any of my Weihrauchs, Air Arms and Dianas and they are superbly accurate.

A short eye relief scope is best avoided on a springer even how smooth the Walther is, at least you found out before you got Snipers eye.
    Ade
    Thats my experience also with the LGV only gun I have never Stripped in 50 years of owning Air Rifles

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Thats my experience also with the LGV only gun I have never Stripped in 50 years of owning Air Rifles
    I stripped mine just to see how easy it was to do (very). Best internal finish of any new air rifle I've seen so far.
    Good deals with these members