Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presentation cases for vintage rifles.

Presentation cases for vintage rifles.

It seems if you have a classic vintage rifle you would want to present it in a vintage case. I stole this pic from the awesome Bonehill Britannia Utube. That awesome rifle deserves a case like this. Are these vintage cases or modern cases made to look period? I have seen in the vintage gallery cases for old BSA’s and Webleys. Are these factory cases for after market. Any examples of what you have done for your favorite classic? I am looking to possibly try to case one of my rifles. Have done many pistols.

Don't know for certain, but looking at the baize in the screenshot, it looks to have been an old gun case repurposed with new dividers to suit the gun. If you look at the inside of the lid, that looks to be original, faded green. Don't they call doing this 'up-cycling' these days? If it saves an old non-descript case from the scrapheap then all's well and good...

That was an old 1940’s Brady case I bought for £40 and I fitted some baize covered dividers and repositioned the securing strap. Lucky to find a C.G Bonehill case label on the Bay.

It was difficult to find a full length case as most are shorter cases made for shotguns.

I don’t keep it in this case, instead a silicone sock in the cabinet so it can ‘breath’. Goes cased for outings though.

Been thinking of making a wooden case for my 1880 Hebelspanner as it goes, seems wrong in a modern gunbag.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by ptdunk; 02-06-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    That was an old 1940’s Brady case I bought for £40 and I fitted some baize covered dividers and repositioned the securing strap. Lucky to find a C.G Bonehill label case on the Bay.

It was difficult to find a full length case as most are shorter cases made for shotguns.

I don’t keep it in this case, instead a silicone sock in the cabinet so it can ‘breath’. Goes cased for outings though.

Been thinking of making a wooden case for my 1880 Hebelspanner as it goes, seems wrong in a modern gunbag.

Cheers,
    Matt
    I’m finding lots of shotgun cases but few full rifle length. Great job with case exactly what I would like to do, looks “right”.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I’m finding lots of shotgun cases but few full rifle length. Great job with case exactly what I would like to do, looks “right”.
    Thanks,
    I believe for this period (1905ish) it should actually be red Baize but I didn’t fancy re-lining the whole case and I prefer green anyway.

No idea what cases they would have used in Germany in the 1800’s...

It would be interesting to see how others have retro fitted rifle cases, I know early BSA’s were supplied with unlined wooden cases.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Thanks,
    I believe for this period (1905ish) it should actually be red Baize but I didn’t fancy re-lining the whole case and I prefer green anyway.

No idea what cases they would have used in Germany in the 1800’s...

It would be interesting to see how others have retro fitted rifle cases, I know early BSA’s were supplied with unlined wooden cases.
    I’m looking to case my 1931 Diana 58 given its really is mechanical art worthy of something special. But like you I have little idea what the Germans would have done. Looking at just trying to get a case that would do it justice? Seems to be more of a history of finely cased pistols?
    Last edited by 45flint; 02-06-2020 at 12:46 PM.

I know I’m preaching to the choir here but never really focused on the cases.

The BSA had a plain wooden box that was factory:

But the Webley Service given it’s barrel detachment was a easy fit to shotgun size cases? These seem custom and look awesome, cause I assume they are using high end shotgun cases? Still find nothing German?

Old Brady shotgun cases are particularly suitable for conversions, and many of the Webley Service cases are such, but most will only comfortably hold two barrels although there are some wider Brady cases about that will comfortable accept three barrels.
    I've seen some excellent such conversions, but also a very few where the converter shouldn't have bothered.
    That's a very nice two barrel conversion in a relatively modern canvas and leather case with one of my reproduction labels in the lid, and the three barrel conversion below is also a very nice example, but I can't see a physical division between the oil can and the stock, so it may not be totally finished.

Original Webley Service cases are said to have come in 3 variants according to Chris Thrale's superb book on 'Webley Air Rifles 1325-2005'
    Two are pictured in last months AGW

The other type pictured below shows 3 barrels, but it is only possible to fit 2

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Some very nice Service cases there. and the Britannia looks great. the Brady type cases are a good case to convert for air rifles. l have done a couple of them. but if you can get a antique wooden one they look really good.

arnie2b Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Don't know for certain, but looking at the baize in the screenshot, it looks to have been an old gun case repurposed with new dividers to suit the gun. If you look at the inside of the lid, that looks to be original, faded green. Don't they call doing this 'up-cycling' these days? If it saves an old non-descript case from the scrapheap then all's well and good...
    I agree, been made to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I’m looking to case my 1931 Diana 58 given its really is mechanical art worthy of something special. But like you I have little idea what the Germans would have done.
    I found a few pics of Germanic rifle cases under 'Vintage Gewehrkoffer' which can give us and idea:

The leather one looks very Teutonic!

Oscar Will advertised canvas bags in their 1930's Venus Waffenwerk/Tell catalogue but not hard cases, and I don't believe Diana ever offered hard cases for their rifles.

I'll approach making a case for my 1880 Oscar Will as something an original owner might have had specially made at the time.
    Not a canvas covered Brady Case as I think of that as being very British, but probably a leather covered one, or just dark varnished wood, and I'd add some kind of studding detail similar to the one above, and maybe some ornate corner pieces to tie in with the floral carving on my rifles stock.

Interesting to see the interior of the German case looks pretty much the same as an English one, just the exterior looks very German.

Nice project for the future.

Cheers,
    Matt

I think I have the label for my Diana 58 case thanks to photoshop, but no case yet. Label looking for a case. Lol. Got the right Diana showing more leg. Tried to age it in Photoshop may need to color it?

Second choice better Diana but weak text?

Last edited by 45flint; 05-06-2020 at 01:01 PM.

​Using photoshop could you not copy the better Diana from the second picture and paste it into the first picture to give you the best of both?

I gave a lovely case away last year to a good friend it had been in loft for years