Thread: Steel bbs in a mak

Steel bbs in a mak

Bought some copper coated steel bbs for use in my mak rather than gamo round, they shoot well but get stoppages quite often due to fact some are quite large and some muh smaller than. 177

I've heard steel bbs can damage rifling so only use copper coated ones, has anyone actually had any rifling wear? Baikal actually say to use steel bbs on their site

Thanks

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisratbasher View Post
    Bought some copper coated steel bbs for use in my mak rather than gamo round, they shoot well but get stoppages quite often due to fact some are quite large and some muh smaller than. 177

I've heard steel bbs can damage rifling so only use copper coated ones, has anyone actually had any rifling wear? Baikal actually say to use steel bbs on their site

Thanks

Chris
    Hi Chris,

The Makarov was originally intended to shoot steel BBs and the factory claim to have undertaken long term testing with no ill effects.

However, I tend not to use steel BBs as I consider them to be less safe. This is because they have a tendency to bounce back from hard surfaces and they also damage steel targets. Both of the clubs I belong to ban their use on the range due to the increased risk of ricochets and I fully support this.

You can of course use a padded backstop such as a box filled with suitable soft materials but that kind of limits the targets you use to paper or similar soft materials. I have found the copper coated lead ball made by H&N and marketed under a number of different brands such as Excite or Accu BB work well in a Mak, along with GAMO ball. Some Maks prefer one over the other, so it is worth experimenting. I also tend not to fill magazines to capacity and load no more than 9-10 to avoid the bottom ball or balls deforming.

Kind regards,

John

Hi John, thanks for that out my mind at ease, I shoot at a box with a pair of old curtains inside so ricochet is not an issue, mine likes gamo lead but as you know they are all different sizes haha

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisratbasher View Post
    Hi John, thanks for that out my mind at ease, I shoot at a box with a pair of old curtains inside so ricochet is not an issue, mine likes gamo lead but as you know they are all different sizes haha
    Yes, I noticed that too. I thought I'd be clever last year and tested some Czech made 4.5mm ball that were a lot better made than the GAMO. Anticipating smaller groups, I was disappointed to see them group worse that the GAMO and copper coated lead at 6 yards in two different pistols.

One trick you may want to try is to load a steel BB or copper coated BB first and then load up with GAMO. That helps to keep the last ball from deforming as I have found that if lead ball jams on me, invariably it's the last ball in the magazine due to deformation of the soft lead.

Kind regards,

John