Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA Mercury

Hi Gents.

Thanks for all the help so far:
    One is now completely stripped and ready to be rebuilt... now with Alloy head and all seals replaced, new spring guide etc... however:
    The trigger block does not return to its original position, about 20deg out - this is without the spring - just the Cylinder and Trigger block.

Can I re orientate the block by loosening the nut in the block and using a modicum of 'Engineering' trial and error?
    or....
    can this nut be just as hard to remove at the trigger blocki...an absolute swine!

BTW the other mercury still has the piston well and truly stuck in the cylinder and is being treated to copious amounts of plus gas....I think I may have to engineer a puller to remove it.

Cheers Steve
    Last edited by Weasle; 15-06-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Hi Weasle

I've done a few Mercurys with stuck pistons and managed to get them all out by placing a round bar that fits into the cocking slot in the piston at right angles and hammerer them out . You must put the edge of the rifle cylinder against something that won't damage it of course .if I remember rightly you can knock it out far enough to expose the top of the piston in the slot so you can then knock it out from there . It's been quite a few years since I've done one good luck
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    I've done a few Mercurys with stuck pistons and managed to get them all out by placing a round bar that fits into the cocking slot in the piston at right angles and hammerer them out . You must put the edge of the rifle cylinder against something that won't damage it of course .if I remember rightly you can knock it out far enough to expose the top of the piston in the slot so you can then knock it out from there . It's been quite a few years since I've done one good luck
    Many thanks Ill give that method a bash- the other one was tight as well...just not a stuck as this one...

Cheers Steve

As with the scorpion pistol,stand the action upright and heat the cylinder with a hot air gun.
    As smoke starts to appear the piston and head will usually drop out of the back end.

Hi Weasle,

Before unscrewing the trigger block, I make a small scribe mark cylinder to block position (on the underside where it is not seen!). Yes, the block can be difficult to unscrew, but, a bit of heat on the cylinder applied quickly before the alloy has a chance to expand somewhat has worked for me. The heat does not damage the bluing. A thin walled socket is needed to get onto that hex nut to adjust alignment. Fortunately mine have gone back into position without excessive tightening force. For one of them, it got far too tight for aligning, I cheated, carefully filing square, a smidgen off the end of the cylinder!!! I'm talking of two or three passes with a fine wide flat file. I copper coat the threads on re-assembly.

All the best to all......
    Last edited by SRV1; 16-06-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Hi Weasle,

Before unscrewing the trigger block, I make a small scribe mark cylinder to block position (on the underside where it is not seen!). Yes, the block can be difficult to unscrew, but, a bit of heat on the cylinder applied quickly before the alloy has a chance to expand somewhat has worked for me. The heat does not damage the bluing. A thin walled socket is needed to get onto that hex nut to adjust alignment. Fortunately mine have gone back into position without excessive tightening force. For one of them, it got far too tight for aligning, I cheated, carefully filing square, a smidgen off the end of the cylinder!!! I'm talking of two or three passes with a fine wide flat file. I copper coat the threads on re-assembly.

All the best to all......
    Great tip...many thanks.

Steve

could someone in the know with mercury's answer this for me not trying to hijack the thread im in the process of servicing my mk2 mercury should the section that's fitted to the under side of the cylinder has a single screw with split washer part no BK003 in the mercury diagram. my question is should this part be a tight fit to the cylinder or a loose fit as the one on my rifle is loose like others have said in this thread i doubt mine rifle has ever been serviced.its a mk11 in 177. thanks in advance. SSF

Quote Originally Posted by supersportfive View Post
    could someone in the know with mercury's answer this for me not trying to hijack the thread im in the process of servicing my mk2 mercury should the section that's fitted to the under side of the cylinder has a single screw with split washer part no BK003 in the mercury diagram. my question is should this part be a tight fit to the cylinder or a loose fit as the one on my rifle is loose like others have said in this thread i doubt mine rifle has ever been serviced.its a mk11 in 177. thanks in advance. SSF
    Hi, with the stock and action separated, tighten the screw such that the bracket can be moved with a a little pressure. Put action in stock with just the long rear screw nipped up, have a look through the stock screw holes to check alignment. If not, use a pin punch or similar to move the bracket into alignment through the stock hole. Remove action, fully tighten bracket screw and reassemble. If the screw is not tight, through recoil, it will probably drop out, or if loose, the accuracy will suffer as the action will be jumping round with each shot.

All the best
    Last edited by SRV1; 17-06-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Hi, with the stock and action separated, tighten the screw such that the bracket can be moved with a a little pressure. Put action in stock with just the long rear screw nipped up, have a look through the stock screw holes to check alignment. If not, use a pin punch or similar to move the bracket into alignment through the stock hole. Remove action, fully tighten bracket screw and reassemble. If the screw is not tight, through recoil, it will probably drop out, or if loose, the accuracy will suffer as the action will be jumping round with each shot.

All the best
    this is great advice SRV1 many thanks for taking the time to reply and offer a solution i'll put this into practice. SSF

Mercury Spring...Titan 2

Gents.
    I've finally got to the point of assembly and spring replacement. I've got a couple of Titan 2 springs...which I believe are the ones to use...although longer than the originals....I'm not surprised due to the use they have had...do you believe these need cutting and then trial and error by checking over my Skan...or do Mercury's never make 12 fpe due to their design?🤣
    Many thanks in advance. 👍

Hi,i have had a fair few,they make just a tad more than the airsporter.i think that it will get to 11 ish but wont be very happy,10 is sweet and does the job
    I have the t robb head in mine(keeper) and it is a real cracker to shoot,a far better and simpler gun than the hw35.
    Atb
    B

its a gun ive never owned but always wanted

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    its a gun ive never owned but always wanted
    Get one while you can,
    They are a brilliant little gun.

BSA Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    I wish I could find a tin of original Wasps at a price that wouldn’t bankrupt me
    Lol me too they've appreciated better than gold since the early 90's, imagine having a pallet of them stashed .....
    Last edited by junglie; 21-09-2020 at 10:31 PM.

BSA Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    I wish I could find a tin of original Wasps at a price that wouldn’t bankrupt me
    Lol me too they've appreciated better thab gold since the early 90's, imagine having a pallet of them stashed .....