Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: WHAT should i change my .177 MCT Airwolf for ???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wednesfield
    Posts
    62

    WHAT should i change my .177 MCT Airwolf for ???

    Hi Folks,

    After lock down I fancy a new gun and change...


    What would be a good alternative, to my sub 12 ft lbs .177 Daystate MCT, with a budget of about 2000.


    I use the gun for hunting, plinking and a bit of target shooting

    THE GUN MUST BE

    Reliable
    Accurate
    Decent shot count
    Consistent
    Quiet
    Value for money
    Sub 12ft lbs
    .177 cal


    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Jesim1's Avatar
    Jesim1 is offline Can juggle 3 pineapples but not 4!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Wigan
    Posts
    3,632
    No gun at 2k is good value for money

    I'd also be wary of taking a gun of that value out into the field hunting, so it may be your budget, but for your use I'd probably dial it back a bit.

    Think what you like/dislike about your current gun and then let us know what you want - the brief is very large as it is and I'd be leaning towards a Red Wolf in walnut or a Wolverine R which are both awesome and no heavier than what you have
    I'll be an Air-Gun God when I master the 4th Pineapple!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wednesfield
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    No gun at 2k is good value for money

    I'd also be wary of taking a gun of that value out into the field hunting, so it may be your budget, but for your use I'd probably dial it back a bit.

    Think what you like/dislike about your current gun and then let us know what you want - the brief is very large as it is and I'd be leaning towards a Red Wolf in walnut or a Wolverine R which are both awesome and no heavier than what you have

    Only two complaints.

    The first issue being servicing, as most places wont touch it. Due to the electronics.
    The second is the Daystate magazines wearing, thus causing accuracy issues. Using the single shot tray the gun has been excellent.

    It' just getting old so i fancy a change

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    1,248
    I swapped my MCT for a Redwolf and haven't regretted it, I also find the balance is better.
    For servicing and repairs you have Dave at Stafford Custom Rifles, which isn't a million miles from you, who seems to be highly recommended by all accounts.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Caythorpe, Lincolnshire (near Newark)
    Posts
    102
    I know you might want a better shot count.. But, If I had spare cash for a new gun, Id go for the...
    AA hft 500
    Especially for hunting and target punching
    Where be your gibes now? Your songs? Your gambols? Miserable bugger!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    2,708
    A Cricket or Vulcan and keep the change..??
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wednesfield
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I swapped my MCT for a Redwolf and haven't regretted it, I also find the balance is better.
    For servicing and repairs you have Dave at Stafford Custom Rifles, which isn't a million miles from you, who seems to be highly recommended by all accounts.


    Thank you.
    I had been looking at Redwolfs. Though i fancied Something without the eletronics...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Wallington
    Posts
    803
    HW100 BP ticks all the boxes... Lovely rifles !

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wednesfield
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Septic View Post
    I know you might want a better shot count.. But, If I had spare cash for a new gun, Id go for the...
    AA hft 500
    Especially for hunting and target punching

    Thank you. But i didn't like the pistol grip and I struggled reaching for the trigger. (Just didn't feel right)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wednesfield
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    A Cricket or Vulcan and keep the change..??


    Thanks for the reply.

    I've not tried a Cricket or a Vulcan (yet). But i will be getting a Uragan Compact in .22 once we come out of lock down.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wednesfield
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by shootgun View Post
    HW100 BP ticks all the boxes... Lovely rifles !
    Cheers

    I've never picked a HW100 BP up. Though i used to have a Hw100 kt in .177. It was a brilliant gun but the shot count was crap. I only got about 45-50 shots before the power started tailling off.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Barnstaple
    Posts
    163
    How about a Steyr Challenge HFT Hunting. Think it ticks all your boxes apart from 1 - Quiet!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wednesfield
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Robet View Post
    How about a Steyr Challenge HFT Hunting. Think it ticks all your boxes apart from 1 - Quiet!


    Thanks,

    But, it must be quiet and multi shot

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    1,248

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigroo View Post
    Thank you.
    I had been looking at Redwolfs. Though i fancied Something without the eletronics...
    If you don't want to go down the electronic route the Wolverine could be an option? You could still use SCR for servicing.
    I may have been lucky but the only issue I've had with a Daystate magazine is one I bought with a used gun.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    mountain ash
    Posts
    5,879
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    If you don't want to go down the electronic route the Wolverine could be an option? You could still use SCR for servicing.
    I may have been lucky but the only issue I've had with a Daystate magazine is one I bought with a used gun.
    As above or even a mk2 air ranger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •