Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Prewar Haenel V Rifle

Early Prewar Haenel V Rifle

I bought this rifle on approval and was disappointed at the condition so I sent it back. Though it had some condition issues it was still an interesting rifle and my first look at prewar Haenel underlever. I not sure I’ve seen another with a checkered stock? Has the early logo on the tube as well as “Made in Germany“. It is a possible Stoeger import, they were in the Stoeger Catalog along with the Diana 58. They are well made but seem small to me, smaller than the Webley MK3 and a “toy“ next to the Diana 58? See pics. Still prewar German quality. Be interesting to see a first class example or this model with the longer barrel.

https://imgur.com/a/YgyDhUS

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi, these are very nice little rifles and are not common. they did a repeater model which are quite hard to find. very much along the lines of the Webley
    Mk3 as you say, but made well before them. Diana also did a model 26 which is very much like the Haenel V Junior. these are also quite hard to find. l have not seen a checked stock one like the one in your photo.

That’s a lovely little rifle.
    I want one of those low power underlevers to try for bell target .

It was a interesting gun, I would have kept it, just thought it was too much money for the condition? Also seemed to prefer the prewar Diana rifles?

At auction right now

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    It was a interesting gun, I would have kept it, just thought it was too much money for the condition? Also seemed to prefer the prewar Diana rifles?
    $525 thusfar!

Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    $525 thusfar!
    Not really he accepted a lower offer with a inspection period, but as said still too high for condition I thought once it was in my hands. It did give me a chance for the cost of shipping to get a feel for a Haenel I’ve never experienced, not a total loss given my collecting interest in vintage underlevers. I have had a chance to handle a Haenel III as well and I find the Haenel stocks don’t feel as graceful as the Diana’s or Webleys?
    Last edited by 45flint; 04-06-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi, these are very nice little rifles and are not common. they did a repeater model which are quite hard to find. very much along the lines of the Webley
    Here's one. This was the starting point of my collecting problem.

Dave

http://imgur.com/gallery/JfnUzg0
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Here's one. This was the starting point of my collecting problem.

Dave

http://imgur.com/gallery/JfnUzg0
    Yes the repeaters are something special! Hugo at his inventive best. I would not have sent one of those back. Lol

Davis has been trolling that Haenel V and other interesting airguns on Gunauctions,com for years with no takers, now lately his stuff is on the 'bay with no takers.
    Steve, I suspected you'd be interested but the big vise bites on the barrel would be off-putting.

Don R.

I did this side-by-side comparison between the junior version of the Haenel mod V and the Diana 26, which were comparable in terms of dimensions but the Diana was notably superior in quality of manufacture and finish:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....tos/#post-2490

If you have a Diana 58, the Haenel mod V is going to seem inferior on several levels I imagine!
    Last edited by Garvin; 04-06-2020 at 03:55 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Davis has been trolling that Haenel V and other interesting airguns on Gunauctions,com for years with no takers, now lately his stuff is on the 'bay with no takers.
    Steve, I suspected you'd be interested but the big vise bites on the barrel would be off-putting.

Don R.
    Vise marks and stock was ruffer than pics. I think He may be getting to the point that he feels he needs to do some actual selling?
    Last edited by 45flint; 04-06-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I did this side-by-side comparison between the junior version of the Haenel mod V and the Diana 26, which were comparable in terms of dimensions but the Diana was notably superior in quality of manufacture and finish:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....tos/#post-2490

If you have a Diana 58, the Haenel mod V is going to seem inferior on several levels I imagine!
    No question the Diana 58 Second Model is about an impossible act to follow. Not sure I will ever top that specimen? It’s my avatar for a reason. I was interested in the Haenel quality given their 28 pistols are about as good as it gets, and I have a large collection of those.
    Last edited by 45flint; 04-06-2020 at 06:32 PM.

A person would have to be certifiable to use a Stihlson pipe wrench on any air rifle.
    Were they attempting to remove the barrel form the cylinder? Nut-jobs.
    These types give butchers and plumbers a bad name

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    A person would have to be certifiable to use a Stihlson pipe wrench on any air rifle.
    Were they attempting to remove the barrel form the cylinder? Nut-jobs.
    These types give butchers and plumbers a bad name
    No doubt the wrench marks were the killer but they were fully disclosed. I probably would have lived with the other cosmetics but seeing those marks up close was a bit disturbing, I know that’s all I would see whenever I picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    No doubt the wrench marks were the killer but they were fully disclosed. I probably would have lived with the other cosmetics but seeing those marks up close was a bit disturbing, I know that’s all I would see whenever I picked it up.
    Are those barrels all joined forward of the rear sight? Surely not?
    I am not aware of its worth but in my opinion that damage takes too much away from its value. If the money paid was right then that is another matter and I would consider setting it up in a lathe and blending that atrocity away; conditional on the depth of the metal displacement.
    It is a good looking unit for sure.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 05-06-2020 at 02:18 PM.