Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
Do other people get rifles with bad comp tubes?
When working on my own springers have found a few bad tubes: some have tight/high spots in the middel of the tube, and some have ridges down at the bottom that chew up piston seals.
I'm not talking about Chinese guns, but German and British guns that are supposed to be good; a HW80 had a sharp ridge at the bottom, several Supersports seem to be oval and leak lubricants past the seal, a Tx200 with bulges, and the list goes on...

Do other people get them too, or is it just me?
Seen tx tubes with high spots . Just as FPoole says , in the area of the millings . They must go in pretty hard with the tools .

Seen tapers and ovality too , It depends on what tolerances you want to measure to .

Para seals will compensate for most of these imperfections to an adequate degree for most shooters .

People using different sealing methods will demand higher degrees of accuracy in size ,roundness and parallelism of the comp tube walls .
I'm lucky to have a friendly honing company just up the road .

Cant see why your home made hone won't work if you have the patience ,even if you make a few in stepped sizes .
I've done it too , but using lengths of ground silver steel stock ( it's ground round to a tolerance ). That wears eventually ,so I don't expect you get many goes at full size from a brass lap before it then becomes the one for starting off with .