Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad compression tubes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa g View Post
    Yep I have the very same thing with a BSF 55, and a problem with an anshutz 335 mk1 where the name is stamped on the cylinder
    Regards Graham
    That's interesting all B55's must be like it then and doubtless some other BSF models,too.I haven't ever stripped either of my 2 Annie's,but shall try and remember what you have said about the name stamp if I ever do!

Cheers,
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Do other people get rifles with bad comp tubes?
    When working on my own springers have found a few bad tubes: some have tight/high spots in the middel of the tube, and some have ridges down at the bottom that chew up piston seals.
    I'm not talking about Chinese guns, but German and British guns that are supposed to be good; a HW80 had a sharp ridge at the bottom, several Supersports seem to be oval and leak lubricants past the seal, a Tx200 with bulges, and the list goes on...

Do other people get them too, or is it just me?
    Seen tx tubes with high spots . Just as FPoole says , in the area of the millings . They must go in pretty hard with the tools .

Seen tapers and ovality too , It depends on what tolerances you want to measure to .

Para seals will compensate for most of these imperfections to an adequate degree for most shooters .

People using different sealing methods will demand higher degrees of accuracy in size ,roundness and parallelism of the comp tube walls .
    I'm lucky to have a friendly honing company just up the road .

Cant see why your home made hone won't work if you have the patience ,even if you make a few in stepped sizes .
    I've done it too , but using lengths of ground silver steel stock ( it's ground round to a tolerance ). That wears eventually ,so I don't expect you get many goes at full size from a brass lap before it then becomes the one for starting off with .

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Do other people get rifles with bad comp tubes?
    When working on my own springers have found a few bad tubes: some have tight/high spots in the middel of the tube, and some have ridges down at the bottom that chew up piston seals.
    I'm not talking about Chinese guns, but German and British guns that are supposed to be good; a HW80 had a sharp ridge at the bottom, several Supersports seem to be oval and leak lubricants past the seal, a Tx200 with bulges, and the list goes on...

Do other people get them too, or is it just me?
    Had a 95 and 80 with different tube probs
    I think one gen of AA TX’s were blues with rear plug in and tubes contracted differently in that area leading to problems
    It definitely happens (rifles with problem tube)
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Had a 95 and 80 with different tube probs
    I think one gen of AA TX’s were blues with rear plug in and tubes contracted differently in that area leading to problems
    It definitely happens (rifles with problem tube)
    Rear plug on a TX is aluminum, so not blued. I think you are thinking of the HW 77/97.

I had a mk1 TX that was found to have a defective compression tube by Venom. This was replaced with a mk2 compression tube as part of the tune. I have no idea what was wrong with the original though.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    Rear plug on a TX is aluminum, so not blued. I think you are thinking of the HW 77/97.
    Nope, I think AA dipped something incorrectly, and sold the narrow at one end tube guns anyway - now I understand what happened !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

A tuner was having problems with some rifles recently. He could not get them up to required power no matter what he did. HW99' s if I remember right.

New piston seals and other things tried but the power would not rise.

I have seen pics of some HW rifles with swarf issues in the cylinders at the breach. Often ruining the piston seal.