Thread: Anyone know what this Mayer & Grammelspacher patent was for?

Anyone know what this Mayer & Grammelspacher patent was for?

I believe its for their first break barrel air rifle. Or at least a patent connected to it.

I think I read somewhere that early German airgun patent records are hard to track down? I may be wrong.

One of Diana’s most important early airgun patents was for their barrel locking detent which is still in use today. British patent 7218 in 1905.

Don’t know what this one is though, is it dated 1901?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I think I read somewhere that early German airgun patent records are hard to track down? I may be wrong.

Matt
    Any German patent from pre WWII is difficult to trace as much of the paperwork got destroyed in the war. Added to that, the allies scrapped the system so what was left was probably thrown away or purloined to lie in other countries archives

The German language is quite descriptive so a translation of the handwriting should provide a good clue

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Any German patent from pre WWII is difficult to trace as much of the paperwork got destroyed in the war. Added to that, the allies scrapped the system so what was left was probably thrown away or purloined to lie in other countries archives

The German language is quite descriptive so a translation of the handwriting should provide a good clue
    I translated, gave no clue?

Could be this one:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....nts/#post-2225

Google Translate's 'keying for tilt barrel air rifle', may mean 'lever for break barrel' air rifle?
    Last edited by Garvin; 04-06-2020 at 09:21 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Literally breech/ closure mechinism for drop barrel air rifle. Dates from after their first break barrel rifle so i would say its for their barrel detent.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Actually German patents are the easiest to search for online, if you have the number. I just looked this one up and you can read the full pdf here:

https://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNe...599A&xxxfull=1

It looks closely similar to the one Danny refers to in the Gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Actually German patents are the easiest to search for online, if you have the number. I just looked this one up and you can read the full pdf here:

That's brilliant, thank you. I've been searching for a couple of German patents from the 1920s for years. This now gives me a chance

I would think the patent number would be the clue, along with the dates; M & G historians would possibly know, as would some of our mag. writers. Not sure if ggole would help by putting in this info, worth a try I suppose.

I have a copy of the DH Comings guns review articles 100 years of airgun Patents.....great read, but not too inclusive. I have also been doing a bit of Patent research....it's fascinating stuff, but very easy to wander of track!!

I don't suppose it's possible to search early German airgun patents by name of patentee or manufacurer?

Cheers,
    Matt

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I don't suppose it's possible to search early German airgun patents by name of patentee or manufacurer?

Cheers,
    Matt
    Yes, it is possible Matt, but not as straightforward as searching with the patent number itself. It used to be easier, but the German Patent Office has kept refining the system and has aimed it more at the expert searcher rather than the beginner. I haven't kept up with these changes and would need several hours reading all the guide notes to get where I was 10 years ago.

Anyway, this is what you can do. Go to the beginners search page, English version, here : https://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNe...witchToLang=en

Then in the box "All Classification Fields" insert F41B 11/00. This directs the search to the patent classification covering air guns. In the box "Application/ Owner/Inventor' insert the name of the inventor (or company). This is where it can get tricky, as it has to be in the right format. For example, Mayer and Grammelspacher will be rejected, Mayer accepted. You need to read the guide notes if it will not accept your entry.

Then click Search and you should get a list of all air gun patents from that person or company. Annoyingly, although the seach will cover patents from many countries, there is no way of restricting the search to just one country (unless you use the Expert search option). When the search sometimes throws up a couple of thousand hits, it would be helpful if you could narrow things down a bit.

Good luck!
    Cheers, John

Yes, it is possible Matt, but not as straightforward as searching with the patent number itself. It used to be easier, but the German Patent Office has kept refining the system and has aimed it more at the expert searcher rather than the beginner. I haven't kept up with these changes and would need several hours reading all the guide notes to get where I was 10 years ago.

Anyway, this is what you can do. Go to the beginners search page, English version, here : https://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNe...witchToLang=en

Then in the box "All Classification Fields" insert F41B 11/00. This directs the search to the patent classification covering air guns. In the box "Application/ Owner/Inventor' insert the name of the inventor (or company). This is where it can get tricky, as it has to be in the right format. For example, Mayer and Grammelspacher will be rejected, Mayer accepted. You need to read the guide notes if it will not accept your entry.

Then click Search and you should get a list of all air gun patents from that person or company. Annoyingly, although the seach will cover patents from many countries, there is no way of restricting the search to just one country (unless you use the Expert search option). When the search sometimes throws up a couple of thousand hits, it would be helpful if you could narrow things down a bit.

Good luck!
    Cheers, John
    That's brilliant,
    thanks very much John.

Had a quick look, nothing on Oscar Will, but plenty on Westinger & Altenburger (Feinwerkbau) and Fritz Barthelms (of Record pistols fame)
    Look forward to delving into their patent history for future Videos.

Cheers,
    Matt