Thread: Some people have the skill . . .

Some people have the skill . . .

. . . to create beautiful stocks from fine wood. Proper craftspeople (keeping it PC &#128521

I just about have the skill to hack up an old piece of flat pack cupboard to make a DIY shooting table, inspired by a YouTube video. May not be pretty but it's definitely functional!
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

stocks

But would the likes of Steve brown or Gary Cane be able to put flat pack furnature together,, I`m lucky enough to have one off each of them,, Craftmanship, Thats all i can say,, Col.

If they have the sort of skill to produce the woodwork that I so regularly drool over then it would probably be considered some sort of carpentry heresy if they ever touched a piece of flat pack chipboard! Leave that to lesser mortals.

Forgot to post pics of the finished article!
    http://imgur.com/a/Nr6EsDw

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    But would the likes of Steve brown or Gary Cane be able to put flat pack furnature together,, I`m lucky enough to have one off each of them,, Craftmanship, Thats all i can say,, Col.
    I have a few of Gary's stocks but still enjoy making my own
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by charliemow13 View Post

I just use the wife's ironing board.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I just use the wife's ironing board.
    And I thought I was being resourceful. It probably wouldn't have been missed either! Now if I could only think of a way to disguise air rifles as domestic equipment I might have half a chance of smuggling a couple more into the house 😁

theres some good stock makers out there

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    If they have the sort of skill to produce the woodwork that I so regularly drool over then it would probably be considered some sort of carpentry heresy if they ever touched a piece of flat pack chipboard! Leave that to lesser mortals.

Nice job, and the carry handle is a neat touch. Was the metalwork yours as well, or an off-the-shelf item?

Jerry

Good job with the table...
    I used to really enjoy making stocks. But I made so many, it ended up feeling like an unpaid job, and I lost all enthusiasm.
    Where be your gibes now? Your songs? Your gambols? Miserable bugger!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I just screwed a 2x4 "spine" underneath a lump of appropriately jigsawed MDF board, and then clamp the spine in the jaws of a workmate. Yours looks more professional
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I cheated with the metalwork. Couldn't find any adjustable legs or think of a way to make them that wouldn't come out just as expensive as buying something off the shelf so after a bit of searching round found a Sealey FTAL1 saw horse for about the same price as three tins of pellets on the auction site. Adjusts from something like 600 - 900mm tall. One of the DIY stores has some folding saw horse legs which are even cheaper but non-adjustable 650mm high (quite low really) and nowhere near me had stock for click and collect. Size for the top came off the YouTube video that led to this little project. I may have to do a little more chopping in the future as I hadn't thought about if i ever wanted to take it anywhere except the back garden. May need to trim it down to fit across the boot of the car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RYzlUACLPBA

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I just screwed a 2x4 "spine" underneath a lump of appropriately jigsawed MDF board, and then clamp the spine in the jaws of a workmate. Yours looks more professional
    Cheers Shed Tuner! Wish I could say the same for my welding. Got to get some pictures of a home made spinner to post later which looks like it's got a load of bird droppings holding the targets in place 😁

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Cheers Shed Tuner! Wish I could say the same for my welding. Got to get some pictures of a home made spinner to post later which looks like it's got a load of bird droppings holding the targets in place 😁
    funny you mention that.. I was just welding a brace to my lathe bench this morning... the odd area looks almost acceptable, but most of it is pretty much as you describe. Least it's functional though
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.