Thread: Getting permission to shoot on a landowners property and how long it takes

Getting permission to shoot on a landowners property and how long it takes

I hear that getting permission to shoot on land is usually very hard, restricted and can sometimes cost you a few quid for the privilege, what are your thoughts and experiences?

Well I managed to get some 25-30 acres of woodland and fields off a landowner today in East Lancashire free of charge with open access to days and times, got signed paperwork for me and a couple of people I know and trust.

With the area that it is in it may also open up other opportunities for vermin control with other landowners as it ins't what you know but who, word of mouth is priceless and one of my landowners contacts is the local rural Police officer who also uses the land, which I will be introduced too and take it from there.

In your own opinion how hard is it to get a permission to shoot? Mine only came about by fishing at a lake, speaking to the owner, having a chat, asking a few questions, being friendly, asking about any problems and squirrels and rats came into the conversation and took it from there.

Anyone else have have any experiences they like to share for others to help them out?

Must also say showing the landowner I was a member of a few clubs assisted even though I have only been involved for 5 months even with lockdown.

Interested in others experiences and thoughts on getting land to shoot that's all

Crossy1882

In Blackburn and the surrounding area it’s not easy .
    I have a few permissions and friends have others.
    A lot of land is owned by united utilities and they like to be seen to be P.C whatever that means .

i got my main one as my brother in law rents the farm . I shoot the rabbits on it .

i tried for others closer to home as my main one is 9 miles each way and i don't drive so my wife has to drive me there and come home then the same to pick me up.

I went to 4 farms near my house and they were all covered and in some cases too many shooting there .

I then tried one an advice of my father in law and the guy I spoke to said that they have paid shoots on the land but there is a field that is not shot on . so got that permission but no paperwork came through from him. so I called on the phone a month later and it turned out it was not his land but his parents .

The mother then asked who I was and I told her my name and that my father in law was a church elder at the local church and she named him before I told her his name and said yes you can shoot here and I can go any time I like but if there is any one working the field do not shoot till they have finished ( common sense really)

She also told me another guy who was local shot there also but he was hardly there due to working offshore .

I then left her a permission authority slip the next time I was passing and she called me to pick it up a few days later .

There is a council cemetetry on the edge of the land so I don't shoot there while is open unless I go down the hill abit .

Most of the land here is already accounted for but they are mostly covered by the same people which is not so good as they dont tend to cover them often .

Russ Douglas has done a blog on getting a permission for shooting company here http://www.bisleycountryblog.co.uk/h...ng-permission/

His youtube page here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Te6u1lBU8U&t=0s
    Last edited by bighit; 05-06-2020 at 05:10 PM.

I moved here just before Xmas, about a week later farmer who owns the fields over the garden fence said hello when I was cleaning the gutters.
    About a month later I was plinking in the garden, he said hello again & we had a chat about farms/animals & without my even asking he said "anytime you fancy walking the fields with a gun feel free"

All my permissions have been clients at some point. My oldest shoot I've had for over 15years. Banging on doors has never worked for me. Once you get friendly with one landowner other doors usually open. Best client I had owned a pest control business, couldn't believe my luck. You've done well to get permission for friends aswel, non of mine will accept anyone but my son to go with me. I hope they dont mess it up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    All my permissions have been clients at some point. My oldest shoot I've had for over 15years. Banging on doors has never worked for me. Once you get friendly with one landowner other doors usually open. Best client I had owned a pest control business, couldn't believe my luck. You've done well to get permission for friends aswel, non of mine will accept anyone but my son to go with me. I hope they dont mess it up for you.
    I ask my brother in law if my mate can come with me . I text my brother in law to see if it is ok to go shooting as he may be working in the fields and its not safe for me to be there as I shoot my .22lr there more than the airgun .

My mate would never go there himself as he has a permission of is own that I am allowed to go to on my own if I text the farmer before hand but i have never been there with out my mate yet .

Permission

Offered a small holding shoot from a guy I used to work with,permission No 1.
    His wife works at a vets and she told someone about me and I got permission No 2.
    Unfortunately the land was sold to a property developer(happening a lot around here) so I lost the shoot.
    I attend a Pilates class where a couple told me of a rat/rabbit problem they had
    where they keep horses,permission No 3.
    Those 2 keep me busy enough for now so I have not actively looked for new permissions,
    but you never know where the next one will come from?
    Diana 52 .22 short stroked
    AA S410.177+Hawke Vantage
    Think outside...no box required

most of my permissions ive had for years,i normaly phone old bill tell them when im going on and again when im leaving,as in past people who have no right to be on the land with dogs have called the police on me the cheek of it

most of my many shoots came from a simple advert in my local
    parish church magazine which covers 10 local villages,
    offering free pest control i had 5 new shoots in the first
    week,,i now have loads of shoots mostly large houses with
    1 acre of garden ,treerats, rats ,rabbits, are usualy the problem,
    I have x2 new rat shoots on Monday to go and see
    so lots to keep me busy!!! am retired so plenty of time to shoot&
    ride my motorcycle!!!
    atb brian