Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which air rifle for a youngster?

Which air rifle for a youngster?

When my lad was ten or eleven i bought a BSA Supersport for him to use when i took him rabbiting etc. My grandson is now at the same age and i am wondering what would do a similar job as the Supersport did. There are so many air rifles now i have lost touch with them. Any ideas?

Weihrauch

HW30, light, easy to cock, accurate.
    HW30STL .177, HW45 Blackstar .177, HW77 .177, LGV Challenger .177, BSA Airsporter S Mk1 .22. Original 65 .177, BSA Lightning GRT .177, HW99 .177.

Are we talking spring or pcp ? Pcp hits the target better than a spring in novices hands.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    My first rifle was a supersport.
    Master Debater

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    Are we talking spring or pcp ? Pcp hits the target better than a spring in novices hands.
    Better to instill good habits early with a springer that will pay handsome dividends later with any gun.
    That's if you have the skills yourself to pass on of course

Quote Originally Posted by Bullnose View Post
    Are these of sufficient power to shoot rabbits etc?

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    Sorry, yes a springer to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullnose View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    Are these of sufficient power to shoot rabbits etc?

The HW30 usually produces about 7ft.lbs in .177 and 8ft.lbs in .22 as standard. In my view, a practised shot will cleanly take rabbits at close to medium range with this sort of power. The rifle has a lovely, mild firing cycle making accurate shooting very possible. Go for the S version with the Rekord trigger. I took many rabbits with my Meteor Super (of unknown power) and a FWB127 (which I later learned "only" produced 9.5ft.lbs).

If the young chap can handle a slightly heavier rifle, the HW99S would make a terrific choice. Very accurate and still very forgiving, but also produces "full UK limit" power.

The BSA Supersport and the later Lightning version are still available new. However, many would say that they don't represent such good value for money now against the two rifles mentioned above and also when compared with a fair few of the ever-improving "budget" rifles. They do make an excellent secondhand buy, though.

Many Gamo models are worthy of consideration. Cheap, most are light and most have very slight cocking effort requirement. Models like the Whisper and Varmint models can produce high energy figures in unrestricted markets. Once detuned for the UK they display very benign recoil characteristics and very low cocking effort. Triggers are not the best, though.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The HW30 usually produces about 7ft.lbs in .177 and 8ft.lbs in .22 as standard. In my view, a practised shot will cleanly take rabbits at close to medium range with this sort of power. The rifle has a lovely, mild firing cycle making accurate shooting very possible. Go for the S version with the Rekord trigger. I took many rabbits with my Meteor Super (of unknown power) and a FWB127 (which I later learned "only" produced 9.5ft.lbs).

If the young chap can handle a slightly heavier rifle, the HW99S would make a terrific choice. Very accurate and still very forgiving, but also produces "full UK limit" power.

The BSA Supersport and the later Lightning version are still available new. However, many would say that they don't represent such good value for money now against the two rifles mentioned above and also when compared with a fair few of the ever-improving "budget" rifles. They do make an excellent secondhand buy, though.

Many Gamo models are worthy of consideration. Cheap, most are light and most have very slight cocking effort requirement. Models like the Whisper and Varmint models can produce high energy figures in unrestricted markets. Once detuned for the UK they display very benign recoil characteristics and very low cocking effort. Triggers are not the best, though.

Thanks for that, good information.

I started off with the BSA Meteor and then to the more refined Supersport SE carbine, and I have fond memories of both rifles, so much so, 30 years on, I have recently bought back into these. But there are caveats.

You don't mention the height or build of your grandchild and you've not mentioned whether you are buying new or secondhand.

Recently, I bought back into BSA to relive a childhood. I bought the new Meteor Silentium, Lightning XLSE and the Lightning XLSE GRT. I looked at the Supersport also and stop short of getting one. In general, all these names of old have become overweight and grown up by 2 dress sizes over the past 3 decades. Like a VW Golf, over the generation, it has got bigger and heavier to the point the merits you remembered is not the same now. I sold the new Meteor within 3 days of buying it. The Lightning, again I lived to regret. Didn't feel the same. The new Supersport takes on the same ageing girth.

To rediscovery the merits of the old Supersport, I had to buy back into that era - The 90's supersport. Yes, memories came flooding back as to why I used to love them. The new generation is not the same. Both mine are in Carbine format and produces 10ftlb. I love the compact dimensions, short and slender. The muzzle energy is plenty good for marginally over medium range of 30m. Do check out the new range BSA is offering before buying. It may not be the same as you remembered them to be.

As for alternatives. Again depending on your grandchild's build, a HW30s (for the slighter) and the HW99s (for juniors) are highly recommended. the 30 does have limited power of 7ftlb with the 99 being nearer legal limits. I personally wouldn't recommend the 30 for rabbiting other than precision short range. (personal). HW's are one of the most worked on airguns. Straight out the box, it can be a bit rough. A little tinkling and greasing will improve its firing characteristics immeasurably. It does not need lots of money, but rather a little TLC. Maybe this is an interesting intro to engineering.

I have the 30s in carbine (barrel weight without open sights). Deadly accurate little thing that can shoot 10p at 35m. Piston sleeved it with a milk carton, a bit of polish and the right amount of moly grease got it shooting sweet as a lady. The 99 is an overall bigger gun more suited to a teenager. It is heavier and longer and many will agree it is a little rough out the box. Open it to smooth sharp edges, again piston sleeve it and moly grease. It is a very capable rifle but out the box can be twangy. Doesn't need money spending on it, but rather some TLC.

Depending on what kind of training you wish to instil, double check for open sights option before buying. Not all have these as standard.

SMK XS15 .177 Break Barrel Air Rifle

I bought my son a .177 SMK XS15 which is a nice little rifle with an automatic safety catch - it has been good so far!

Thanks to all that have replied certainly some good points to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewismroberts View Post
    I bought my son a .177 SMK XS15 which is a nice little rifle with an automatic safety catch - it has been good so far!
    Never ever ever trust a safety catch !!!

best rifles for a youngun to start on, no contest really. you will not better for cheaper than a hw99s . also you could lower the power so its easier to cock and smoother to shoot for a kid as its incredibly easy to strip down and do . around £200 new and everything else around that price is utter rubbish .

if you fancied a pcp, you can get a smk pr900w for about the same price , its a small light rifle , small shot count though , but for the money a good accurate rifle to about 25 meters . he'll never win any medals with it , but its good enoigh to have fun with

I bought a cheap SMK for my son to learn on when he was 12, I focused on teaching him good practice and safe handling, made him use the open sights at first then fitted a small scope.

Cant recall the model but its got a self setting safety at the rear. Shame you arent closer as he is 20 now and it hasnt been used in years just sits in my safe