Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Eley Wasp Pellets.

Original Eley Wasp Pellets.

Does anyone know what happened to the dies, tooling, etc, that was used to make the original Eley Wasp pellets ? the Wasps available now are rubbish compared to those of old.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by GATMAN View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to the dies, tooling, etc, that was used to make the original Eley Wasp pellets ? the Wasps available now are rubbish compared to those of old.

Paul.
    They were seen as a monument to imperialism so were torn down and chucked off the dock.... new pink wasps are more woke regardless of their inaccuracy.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    They were seen as a monument to imperialism so were torn down and chucked off the dock.... new pink wasps are more woke regardless of their inaccuracy.
    Yes - I hear the new Wasps work well if you "take the knee"

Not called wasps anymore the are called Wokes.
    Good standard pellet i always used.

The original tooling might have been used for the new ones but they are not set up properly, using the wrong mix or something.

I found Defiant Vintage to be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    The original tooling might have been used for the new ones but they are not set up properly, using the wrong mix or something.

I found Defiant Vintage to be very good.
    I also heard that story when quality issues with the post Eley Wasps first came about. Whilst the earliest Rothery made Wasps still resembled Eley's pellets up to a point, this has not been the case for some time now as the modern version is of far lower quality than those made during the 1980s. Today, the only connection to the old Wasps are the tin labels.

I wonder if the old dies were seen as used and knackered, so new ones were obtained instead. A real shame if this was the case.

Mind you, I've found quality German pellets such as FTT and Hobby work very well in most barrels, even the wider 5.6mm ones, so whilst the Wasp was once the benchmark I used when evaluating pellets, this is no longer the case.

John M

The wasp was the bench mark for all testing back in the 1980-90. I believe the mould wore out. I am sure with modern technology and original pellets such moulds can be remade exactly to original spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I also heard that story when quality issues with the post Eley Wasps first came about. Whilst the earliest Rothery made Wasps still resembled Eley's pellets up to a point, this has not been the case for some time now as the modern version is of far lower quality than those made during the 1980s. Today, the only connection to the old Wasps are the tin labels.

I wonder if the old dies were seen as used and knackered, so new ones were obtained instead. A real shame if this was the case.

Mind you, I've found quality German pellets such as FTT and Hobby work very well in most barrels, even the wider 5.6mm ones, so whilst the Wasp was once the benchmark I used when evaluating pellets, this is no longer the case.

John M
    I had also heard that the older equipment was compromised in transit to the new owners, John, but your explanation sounds most plausible and I also agree with your observation over the fact that many modern pellets do, indeed, perform well in the larger ".22" barrels.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    The wasp was the bench mark for all testing back in the 1980-90. I believe the mould wore out. I am sure with modern technology and original pellets such moulds can be remade exactly to original spec.
    What the Wonkey Eye Joe Standard The old Marksman pellets were fair but best old school is the Superdome but by heck not a bargain they once were
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Newer non-Eley Wasps are nowhere near as bad as many would have you believe, especially in 5.6mm format.
    I'm convinced that most of this has come from people just repeating what they've heard elsewhere rather than personal experience.
    These were 5 shot groups shot with the new Wasps at 25 yards through a .22 Webley Tracker :
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey...posted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey...eposted-public
    It's all moot now as the factory caught fire some time ago and Bisley said there were no plans to reopen it... so pretty soon even these will be unobtainium.

The new ones don't work in my airsporter. I tried several tins. All were too small on the heads. I've got one old blue tin and a few old purple ones left.

I too have several tins of the original Eley Wasps in 5.6mm and 5.5mm in the mauve tins. These are good in most of my rifles. I recently bought a tin of the "new" one and could not believe how bad they were - amongst the worst pellets I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Newer non-Eley Wasps are nowhere near as bad as many would have you believe, especially in 5.6mm format.
    I'm convinced that most of this has come from people just repeating what they've heard elsewhere rather than personal experience.
    These were 5 shot groups shot with the new Wasps at 25 yards through a .22 Webley Tracker :
    It's all moot now as the factory caught fire some time ago and Bisley said there were no plans to reopen it... so pretty soon even these will be unobtainium.
    Believe me, I have tested the post 2002 Wasps on a number of occasions and through a number of barrels. They are not of the same shape and consistency as the original Eley made pellets. Sadly their performance is nowhere near as consistent as the old Wasps in my experience. I was given a tin of modern .177 Wasps a couple of years ago by a gun shop and much of the tin was full of deformed pellets. Those that were 'formed' shot groups like a shotgun, so it is not just the .22s that are of poor quality.

John M

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    From their website

Wasp Pellets are currently out of production, but we are working towards a solution.
    Speak to our Sales Team and follow us on Facebook for the latest update.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    From their website

Wasp Pellets are currently out of production, but we are working towards a solution.
    Speak to our Sales Team and follow us on Facebook for the latest update.
    Have you got a link to that website please?

Let's hope so, all us old .22 users need something since those tossers at H&N bought Pax who made the Defiant Obsoletes and then did sweet FA with the companies products and can't even be bothered to reply to an enquiry.