Thread: .223 s.m.k 52 gn data

.223 s.m.k 52 gn data

I have found a supplier of 223 sierra matchking 52 gn heads (s1410) for almost a £10 cheaper than I can get locally

I'm currently using 53 gn sierra matchking (s1400) with 27.5 gn of CFE 223 in my sako 85 1-12 twist which are grouping quite nicely

thing is I cannot find any reloading data for the 52 gn bullet all the reloading info jumps from 50 gn to 53 has anyone used this 52 gn bullet and have any data/ powder weight for this must be CFE 223 .

the lowest powder weight for 53 gn is 27 gns of CFE max 28.6 ( I think without looking) was thinking of a starting point of 26.5 gn of CFE and working up to 27.5 same as 53 gn or will1 gn weight difference make to a low end 53 gn charge ?

these are for paper punching

thanks all

Nosler give a starting load of 27gns & max load of 29 gns for CFE223 for their 50-55gn bullets.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/223-remington/
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

I don't think it'll matter too much if you keep to a similar charge weight and work from there.

But your assumption of a lighter bullet = lighter charge isn't necessarily the case. Most data I have suggests the lighter bullet has a heavier charge weight, all other things being equal. For example, with a 77gn bullet and CFE223 powder the suggestion is for around 22.5-24.5gn charge and a 53gn bullet is 27.0-28.5gn charge. I wouldn't go lower than the lowest 53gn suggested powder weight.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

From the info that is turning up it seems to keep the same as a low end 53 gn weight so think I will will do 10 x 52 gn at the same weight of powder as 53 gn.
    27.5 gn of cff223 is the " optimal " weight for a 53 bullet and is bang in the middle

Will let you know the results

I doubt you'll notice much difference between the 53 & 52 gn load. I load 75 & 77 gn bullets with the same powder load. (both more accurate than me!)
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.

hope so with a £10 per 100 heads saving its going to be well worth it

Heads are the toilets in ships, bullets are the thingies that come fleeing out of the barrels of rifles.
    Bullet, case, powder, primer. Case head is the bit that holds the primer and faces against the bolt. The case head usually has the headstamp imprinted in it.

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Case head is the bit that holds the primer and faces against the bolt.
    Which, oddly enough, is nowhere near the case shoulder.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Heads are the toilets in ships, bullets are the thingies that come fleeing out of the barrels of rifles.
    Bullet, case, powder, primer. Case head is the bit that holds the primer and faces against the bolt. The case head usually has the headstamp imprinted in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    Which, oddly enough, is nowhere near the case shoulder.
    Or the neck...it's a topsy turvy world isn't it; this black art (I am allowed to say that am I?) of reloading!

Or the neck...it's a topsy turvy world isn't it; this black art (I am allowed to say that am I?) of reloading!
    and the whole thing becomes a 'round'
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    and the whole thing becomes a 'round'
    No, it's a 'pill' if you believe a certain shooting journalist and cool boys on the web who 'run' their rifles rather than 'use' them.

Wrong.
    The case head encompasses the base of the case, rim, extractor groove and up as far as the webb where it becomes the case body.

If you’re going to be a pedant at least get it right!
    Thanks for looking

There's Pedants and then there's Pedantic Gits!