Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Rifles and Other Interests

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I like airguns - some new, but mainly older ones float my boat.
    I own a motorcycle, classic jap of course.
    Cars are more of a tool - I had a few performance cars in between bikes, but older ones.
    I work on a steam heritage railway (normally).
    Tools of all kinds - I have a well equipped workshop inc. a small lathe.
    I like watches, but lack sufficient income to indulge seriously.
    I quite like some knives, but I'm not fussy about owning them.
    I like cameras, binos, scopes and telescopes and have a few - but I'm not a collector.
    I also like models of every kind, but again I'm not a collector.
    I like the idea of mountain bikes and I own one - but truthfully I don't use it as much these days.
    I used to be quite into computers in the early days, but lost interest as soon as I realised most 'upgrades' were about lining peoples pockets rather than any real technical innovation - now shoddy software and sloppy coding just irritates me.
    Lately I am developing an unhealthy interest in old garden machinery as well...

Interesting and varied responses from our community in common.

Yes, as some of our learned commentators have replied; dogging is perfectly acceptable as it is in keeping with the spirit of our most rewarding and pleasurable pastime, enhancing our experience especially at night time. Healthy outdoor activities is to be encouraged, giving us a chance to get our weapons out and bang a reward or two, or maybe even more, for the younger members. And, not to limit us to one area, maybe a a Shengen type Permission would allow ease of travel to further locations?

By the way, I am not into these extreme sports, but just for academic purpose, does one have the post-codes for these vigorous activities?
    Last edited by SRV1; 07-06-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I like airguns - some new, but mainly older ones float my boat.
    I own a motorcycle, classic jap of course.
    Cars are more of a tool - I had a few performance cars in between bikes, but older ones.
    I work on a steam heritage railway (normally).
    Tools of all kinds - I have a well equipped workshop inc. a small lathe.
    I like watches, but lack sufficient income to indulge seriously.
    I quite like some knives, but I'm not fussy about owning them.
    I like cameras, binos, scopes and telescopes and have a few - but I'm not a collector.
    I also like models of every kind, but again I'm not a collector.
    I like the idea of mountain bikes and I own one - but truthfully I don't use it as much these days.
    I used to be quite into computers in the early days, but lost interest as soon as I realised most 'upgrades' were about lining peoples pockets rather than any real technical innovation - now shoddy software and sloppy coding just irritates me.
    Lately I am developing an unhealthy interest in old garden machinery as well...

What do you do in your spare time ?

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    By the way, I am not into these extreme sports, but just for academic purpose, does one have the post-codes for these vigorous activities?
    Be careful what you wish for. Pre covid, a gay friend of ours counted dogging as one of his pre married hobbies. He could describe the washing up and have you rolling on the floor needing your ribs bandaged. There's no way I can relay this in its entirety on here and I can't do it justice.

He tells the story of breaking down in a gentleman's dogging lay-by not far from us. He had no option other than to call his mum out for a jump start. His description of the phone call, along with instructions not to flash her headlights had us in apoplexy.

I'll never forget it.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

I'm into 'extreme' sports (not dogging -???), collect old airguns to relax. Sports include skateboarding, surfing, kite/windsurf, snowboarding, trampolining and mountain biking, by no means on Red Bull level (intermediate level mostly)
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Had my first airgun when I was about 7, never looked back . Got my motorbike licence at 18. I still ride to work and we'll into airguns. I enjoy all sort of mechanical things, particularly repairing them in my free time along with any woodwork that crops up.
    These things help to give me a few tranquil hours away from my regular job which is totally unrelated to my pastimes.
    I think that quite a few of us here are into two wheels of one sort or another.

Apart from fettling airguns, repair, restoration, I enjoy reading technical articles and books about airguns plus airgun history. Then there is gardening, mainly fruit and veg for which we are almost but not quite self sufficient ... I do not grow things that are cheaper in the shops e.g carrots / potatoes or which I find I cannot grow here e.g cauliflowers. And we do have to buy some salad stuff over winter.
    Then there is WW1 history; fascinating. For anyone else interested in this, are you a WFA (Western Front Association) member? The 'magazines' they publish are worth far more than the membership fee and are superb.
    Otherwise, technical engineering of all sorts as it happens .....
    I enjoy cycling history but am pretty much not cycling these days ... used to enjoy cycle mechanics as well.

Cheers, Phil

Apart from Air guns I also have a interest in antique obsolete firearms, classic motorcycles and classic cars. I used to go shooting with my Grandfather but I have not gone out in about five or six years.

I have a really keen interest in Crossley motorcars. My Grandfather used to have a 1925 18/50 model which is now in Bristol and the oldest known example according to the Crossley register (just wish I could afford one!).

Also I like old antique furniture (dont know why, old dark wood chairs and tables look better than the modern stuff to me).

Very interesting comments from our air rifle enthusiasts; some commonality of hobbies and interests outside of the air-gun world, and much more diverse subjects too. It certainly builds a background to our individuality as members of this great forum....

And yes Huttles94, I love the old antique furniture, especially mahogany from which I have adapted various cabinets bought from local auctioneers to display a collection of Dinky Toys.

All the best to all.....

Deer Stalking, Taxidermy, Photography, Walking, Steam engines and classical music. Would get into more such as falconry, but sadly don't have the time or money.

I tend to believe that most older things are better made than most modern things, so I tend to buy older stuff out of preference.

Lakey

Once upon a time I played the saxophone, and have several different sizes of them sitting around the house. Not so much any more, but that may start back up after retirement (which is not too far away).

My main other hobby is another with strong British roots - scale model aircraft, mostly in 1/72 scale. As with airguns, I've done this since I was a kid and never slowed down too much. I specialize in WW2-era, single-engined stuff but have a general interest in the history of the era and all manner of aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Once upon a time I played the saxophone, and have several different sizes of them sitting around the house. Not so much any more, but that may start back up after retirement (which is not too far away).

My main other hobby is another with strong British roots - scale model aircraft, mostly in 1/72 scale. As with airguns, I've done this since I was a kid and never slowed down too much. I specialize in WW2-era, single-engined stuff but have a general interest in the history of the era and all manner of aircraft.

That's incredible Mike. It puts my efforts at making Airfix kits all those years ago to shame. My models made good airgun targets once I obtained my first airgun!

Kind regards,

John

I keep and breed Working Terriers ( Bedlintons ) Rough Shooting, Bell Target Shooting,
    President of the Bridgend & District Air Rifle Leage( BELL TARGET), Been shooting 50 years this season.
    I have researched and written a book on the 110 years of Bell Target shooting Bridgend & District Air Rifle League,
    I like making the odd walking stick
    I also breed Fife Canaries and other cage birds.
    https://i.imgur.com/abZypFg.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/4oyTGjm.jpg
    Last edited by Jimlad; 09-06-2020 at 12:56 AM.

The things mentioned on this thread are depraved and disgusting and I am ashamed to be associated with you all, putting it bluntly I am considering reporting this thread.

Who in their right mind would want to collect old implements called air guns, and secret them away in a dark corner of your bedrooms, caressing, lubing and polishing with vigour in a dim candle light where nobody can see you.

You're all sick. I don't have any hobbies like that.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    That's incredible Mike. It puts my efforts at making Airfix kits all those years ago to shame. My models made good airgun targets once I obtained my first airgun!

Kind regards,

John
    If i remember bostic was the glue to use on airfix models back then.