Thread: New to reloading

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

New to reloading

Due to a crazy law I can only buy 2k factory centre fire rounds per gun per annum, but reloading is unlimited. So rather than limit myself to 40 shots a week I have decided to start reloading.

I had a play with a friend's progressive press at the turn of the century, but the memory is hazy. I have a couple of guys at the club who will coach me at the outset of this venture.

I have no equipment, no literature and a very slim grasp on what I may need. I have looked in sales and see I missed on a couple of bits that might have been useful, but knowing how things build up in unused drawers I thought it worth mentioning here in case anyone has stuff to offload. I will be starting with 9mm, but will also be looking at other cals over time.

Advice, comments and criticism welcome
    God rest ye jelly mental men

PM me your address I've got a 9mmP taper crimp die lying idle, I came across it last week whilst tidying up.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Lee stuff is great- Henry Kranks is the main supplier in UK- might be worth a look. Get the Lee reloading manual- it has loads of great data. Lee scales are not so great- I like RCBS ones.

Stay within published data and check everything.

Pistol calibres are easy. Definitely go for a progressive press for pistol calibres. Just watch out for things that might do a double or zero charge.

Mark 7 is the way you go. Pricey but you get what you pay for. They are owned by Lyman now.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Thanks all. I will hunt that book down and take a look at the lee stuff. A "beginners set" appeals for the obvious reasons, but I'll try and hold off any decisions until I've done a few loads through other peoples equipment
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Thanks all. I will hunt that book down and take a look at the lee stuff. A "beginners set" appeals for the obvious reasons, but I'll try and hold off any decisions until I've done a few loads through other peoples equipment
    I bought a Lyman Turret press over 40 years ago & it's still going strong and is still my main "go-to" press. I leave it set up for .223 & .308. ( I have since acquired a further two presses, a Lee Loadmaster & a Lee Progressive 1000 turret which I only use for .357mag nowadays.) The Lee Loadmaster is actually a beast of a machine that will handle most cartridges you'll ever want to reload.
    We've also got a Lee Classic Turret press at the club; which is more than adequate.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!