Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to reloading

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Another question: Why is brass alone more expensive than the actual factory ammo? Unless I'm missing something here, Geco 124grn is €10.50 per 50, Remington brass is €23.95 per 100? I already know the guys at the club use geco for brass, so to my mind I should buy 1k factory ammo and just keep the brass, I'm already up on the deal!?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

I will need a tumbler, is there a preferred one, or are they all much of a muchness?
    The vibratory ones are OK but imho the "rock" tumblers are better, especially if you get into wet tumbling. Small ones can be had for less than £100; I would makes sure it's got a capacity of at least 3lbs or 1.5kg. (ok for a few pistol cases) but like other things in life, bigger is better. I have a big one & a small one, just like my cars, one's a 1.4litre and another is 3.9litres. "You can't beat Cubes!"
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Another question: Why is brass alone more expensive than the actual factory ammo? Unless I'm missing something here, Geco 124grn is €10.50 per 50, Remington brass is €23.95 per 100? I already know the guys at the club use geco for brass, so to my mind I should buy 1k factory ammo and just keep the brass, I'm already up on the deal!?
    That's the way to do it; just make sure your brass is Boxer primed; I doubt you'll ever wear out your pistol brass, if you look after it.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.

Theres a tumbler on optics warehouse just now for about 30 quid, you can buy it off their storefront on the bay like I did.
    My equipment consists of a single stage rcbs rockchucker, a set of rcbs beam scales. The single stage press is great as you have to check every round as you load. I wouldnt bothervwith a progressive unless you were shooting thousands a month and were experienced and vigilant.
    You can speed up single stage reloading with hornady lock n load die bushings.
    I would also recommend lee factory crimp dies.. they are excellent and take the pain out if using a seating/crimp die.

I also. An recommend the richard lee loading book B000N8OKAU
    Donald

buy a lee 4 turret press or a lyman spartan.
    agree with lee crimp dies
    i dont use a beam scale but a digital one.
    you can buy a chinese wet tumbler on the auction site which would be ok or make your own.
    you never wear out pistol brass so just buy factory stuff and save brass
    Last edited by loiner1965; 12-06-2020 at 07:06 AM.

+1 on wet tumbling I think it gives better results especially if used with a bit of citric acid powder added to the water. I then dry my cases in a cheap dehydrator or you can air dry or oven dry.
    Buy the factory ammo and reuse the brass unless you come across a deal on either once fired or new brass.
    Beam scales are great as a back up or initial use but I find digital are quicker.For loading pistol you’ll only need them to check weigh the powder (say every 10 rounds).
    I love the 45 round both ACP & Long Colt the recoil is more of a push compared to the snap of 9mm & easier to load as components are bigger & easier to handle.
    If you get a 45acp semi auto then do get a taper crimp die for reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    +1 on wet tumbling I think it gives better results especially if used with a bit of citric acid powder added to the water. I then dry my cases in a cheap dehydrator or you can air dry or oven dry.
    Buy the factory ammo and reuse the brass unless you come across a deal on either once fired or new brass.
    Beam scales are great as a back up or initial use but I find digital are quicker.For loading pistol you’ll only need them to check weigh the powder (say every 10 rounds).
    I love the 45 round both ACP & Long Colt the recoil is more of a push compared to the snap of 9mm & easier to load as components are bigger & easier to handle.
    If you get a 45acp semi auto then do get a taper crimp die for reloading.
    i made a home made wet tumbler from a car wiper motor and the brass was blinging after a few hours.
    i bought a chinese one of the bay as it was cheap, after 1 hour the brass was acceptable and clean.
    lee make the best crimp dies in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    Thankyou. Mrs Bum and I have watched all the vids we can find, there are some youtubers that just come across as believable and not trying to sell something.

There are various little tricks of the trade so to say which will make some things easier.

eg. When setting up/checking pistol loads (usually 2-5 grains) thrown with a powder measure, don't bother trying to get accuracy weighing every case full. Throw 10 loads, and then check the weight & divide by 10, gets you a better average load.

Beware of some of the "cheaper" digital scales (kind they use for coke etc.) some are very inaccurate with No repeatability. A good Beam Scale is better. If you buy a Lee reloading kit; don't even open the scale in box, just throw it away (or try and sell it) and buy a RCBS/Redding/Lyman/Hornady version instead.

IMHO over cleaning your brass is unnecessary for most people . Clean the primer pocket and perhaps the inside of the neck using a wire brush, and you are good to go.

One cheap way of getting into loading is to use a lee loader. It is slower, and perhaps a bit tedious, but it does the job, and is a great piece of SHTF equipment to have on the side even in addition to a bench mounted press as it is very portable. You could use this to reload at the range. They are £35 from CDSG and the only additional thing you need is a rubber mallet - plus of course primer, bullet, and powder.

Plenty of vids on youtube showing how it works.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Wonderful info, thanks! The Lee Classic Turret is looking favourite at the moment, Mrs Bum is keen to try it as well and wants a .45 cos the bullets are cute and tubby. Just like me

I will need a tumbler, is there a preferred one, or are they all much of a muchness?
    I have never used a tumbler and I don't plan to either. There are several reasons for this:

a) If, like me you like the shiny nickel plated cases a tumbler will rub through the nickel in no time and they then look horrible

b) If you tumble empty cases you then have to clean out the media

c) Tumbling does not clean primer pockets very well

I use an ultrasonic cleaner on my cases - no media residue and primer pockets are clean too. Don't buy a shooter's ultrasonic cleaner - they are silly money. Look on the site which must not be named - I think mine is a 1L 50 W unit and it will take 100 .38 spl cases loose or a brick of 50 (I use the plastic cartridge holder found in many branded boxed of 50). Add the cleaning fluid of your choice. I use boiled water with a dash of citric acid and a drop of detergent will work fine. If you have hard water in your area then a single drop of dishwasher finisher will prevent water marks. 10 minutes in the bath and set them out to dry - you can clean 300 cases in an hour in batches of 50 then overnight to dry or cook them up in the oven at 120C for 20 minutes. That said for many years I did not clean cases at all and had no problems, but they don't look so good as nice shiny ones. WARNING: do not let your cases sit in the bath after it has finished - a lot of the very fine muck will settle out on to the cases and if that dries it is really difficult to get it off again.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I have never used a tumbler and I don't plan to either. There are several reasons for this:

a) If, like me you like the shiny nickel plated cases a tumbler will rub through the nickel in no time and they then look horrible

b) If you tumble empty cases you then have to clean out the media

c) Tumbling does not clean primer pockets very well

I use an ultrasonic cleaner on my cases - no media residue and primer pockets are clean too. Don't buy a shooter's ultrasonic cleaner - they are silly money. Look on the site which must not be named - I think mine is a 1L 50 W unit and it will take 100 .38 spl cases loose or a brick of 50 (I use the plastic cartridge holder found in many branded boxed of 50). Add the cleaning fluid of your choice. I use boiled water with a dash of citric acid and a drop of detergent will work fine. If you have hard water in your area then a single drop of dishwasher finisher will prevent water marks. 10 minutes in the bath and set them out to dry - you can clean 300 cases in an hour in batches of 50 then overnight to dry or cook them up in the oven at 120C for 20 minutes. That said for many years I did not clean cases at all and had no problems, but they don't look so good as nice shiny ones. WARNING: do not let your cases sit in the bath after it has finished - a lot of the very fine muck will settle out on to the cases and if that dries it is really difficult to get it off again.
    That's great thanks! Mrs Bum likes the idea of ultrasonic as it works on jewellery too.

Do you have a pic or name to check I'm looking at the right thing?

Just to add to the mix I’ve used dry media , ultrasonic and wet tumbling for cleaning cases and settled on the latter as it gives the best overall results.It also cleans out the primer pockets as well .
    Essentially get what works for you, it’s like asking an opinion on what’s the best air rifle - you’ll get loads of opinions.
    Clean cases look nice😁and feed better (overall) and keeps the Loading dies cleaner.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    That's great thanks! Mrs Bum likes the idea of ultrasonic as it works on jewellery too.

Do you have a pic or name to check I'm looking at the right thing?

It's a JPL Ultra 7000. Looking on t'bay the new ones seem to be more expensive than I remember. There are other brands but IMO you need at least 1 litre and 50W
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL