Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New to reloading

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    That's great thanks! Mrs Bum likes the idea of ultrasonic as it works on jewellery too.

Do you have a pic or name to check I'm looking at the right thing?

Mine is a JPL Ultra 7000. Looking on t'bay the new ones seem to be more expensive than I remember. There are other brands. IMO you need at least 1 litre and 50W continuous (some of the real cheapies cannot run at full power for very long). Mine is not heated so I just nuke up the solution in the mirowave before use and the heat produced while running seems to keep it hot.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

If you are getting a US cleaner then you can't go wrong with one of the 2 ltr digital ones from the bay.
    I have three different cleaners, and ths one has proven to be the best so far.

To clean the cases I follow the exact same process as the article in the link,

https://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Reloading is not cheap or money saving.
    After spending out on dies, press, scales, vernier gauges, load trays, pocket cleaners, lube, powder, primers, heads and anything else I've missed this no cheaper than buying factory ammo, but it is a hobby and art form in its self. It's very relaxing and interesting and the results are fascinating.
    The only way to make it semi viable is to load multiple calbres and try and use the same powder for each one which is usually possible..
    You'll spend more time reloading than shooting !!!!
    ,AA , Magtech , Arnie, Sako, Ruger . plus the others .

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by baldycoot View Post
    If you are getting a US cleaner then you can't go wrong with one of the 2 ltr digital ones from the bay.
    I have three different cleaners, and ths one has proven to be the best so far.

Which one?!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by B&W FOX View Post
    Reloading is not cheap or money saving.
    After spending out on dies, press, scales, vernier gauges, load trays, pocket cleaners, lube, powder, primers, heads and anything else I've missed this no cheaper than buying factory ammo, but it is a hobby and art form in its self. It's very relaxing and interesting and the results are fascinating.
    The only way to make it semi viable is to load multiple calbres and try and use the same powder for each one which is usually possible..
    You'll spend more time reloading than shooting !!!!
    Yep, but local laws mean I can only buy 2k category "B" factory rounds per year per gun. There are no annual limits on reloading

Besides quantity, reloading is well worth it in terms of developing loads that are more accurate and consistent than factory ammo.
    The next thing you'll be looking at is melting pots and moulds!
    Donald

Yep, but local laws mean I can only buy 2k category "B" factory rounds per year per gun. There are no annual limits on reloading
    If your planning on reloading 2000 - 4000 rounds per year you need to buy an automated press or you will never find time to go to the range
    ,AA , Magtech , Arnie, Sako, Ruger . plus the others .

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Besides quantity, reloading is well worth it in terms of developing loads that are more accurate and consistent than factory ammo.
    The next thing you'll be looking at is melting pots and moulds!
    what is this "accuracy" of which you speak?

If your planning on reloading 2000 - 4000 rounds per year you need to buy an automated press or you will never find time to go to the range
    At present I have only 40 rounds per week available where 150 would be preferable, that's nearly 8k a year.
    I tend to go Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays for about an hour, hour and a half for a shoot and a natter.
    That leaves me 164 hours per week to reload 150 rounds, plenty

At present I have only 40 rounds per week available where 150 would be preferable, that's nearly 8k a year.
    I tend to go Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays for about an hour, hour and a half for a shoot and a natter.
    That leaves me 164 hours per week to reload 150 rounds, plenty
    what a life lol

what is this "accuracy" of which you speak?
    Lol, I didny mean accurate, I meant consistent
    Donald

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Lol, I didny mean accurate, I meant consistent

Actually I reload to achieve both. I don't do anywhere near enough to make it economic. Good home loads will always beat factory for consistency and (if the load is tuned) accuracy. I accept that not everyone wants to achieve that though.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

In that case, unless you wish to spend lots on a Dillon, then a Lee Pro 1000, progressive would best suit your needs. Once properly set up & mastered they're pretty good for pistol calibres. (CDSGLtd can be a little cheaper than Kranks)

https://leeprecision.com/reloading-p...ssive-presses/
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

I found hornady progessive ap was great press. I bought mine from US and got it shipped....even with VAT was 40% cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    There are various little tricks of the trade so to say which will make some things easier.

eg. When setting up/checking pistol loads (usually 2-5 grains) thrown with a powder measure, don't bother trying to get accuracy weighing every case full. Throw 10 loads, and then check the weight & divide by 10, gets you a better average load.

Beware of some of the "cheaper" digital scales (kind they use for coke etc.) some are very inaccurate with No repeatability. A good Beam Scale is better. If you buy a Lee reloading kit; don't even open the scale in box, just throw it away (or try and sell it) and buy a RCBS/Redding/Lyman/Hornady version instead.
    To that I would add try and get an OLDER RCBS beam scale - the 10-10 is THE best of the bunch - made by Ohaus. If you could ever lay your paws on an older Ohaus, do so.

And get a decent dial/digital caliper, too - none of the Acme type for $20 or so.Figure on getting one made by Starrett or Mitutoyo - I have both since I began reloading in the late '60's. They are both still impressively accurate when checked against standard pieces. I also have a couple of Mauser Vernier gauges, but it seems that these days nobody can be a$$ed to learn to read one.

The latest Lyman reloading book is THE one to get, IMO.