Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: New to reloading

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Todays results:

The .43 load (4.2grn) failed to rack the slide at all 860fps / 204 ft/lb
    The .46 load (4..5grn) failed to rack the slide most of the time
    The .49 load (4.7grn) worked perfectly but only achieved 960fps / 254 ft/lb

The next step up on my loader is .53 which weighs 5.2grns, the maximum stated load! I would have preferred a .51 / 5.0grn option.

Ideas, suggestions, words of caution or encouragement all welcome

[IMG][/IMG]
    Welcome to the fun, joys and tribulations of reloading! (and frustrations)
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Welcome to the fun, joys and tribulations of reloading! (and frustrations)
    what about the grouping

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Today I am mostly annoyed!

Test one: 5.0grn, five shot string 127-353 ft/lb
    Test two: 5.1grn, five shot string 95-289 ft/lb
    Test three: 5.2grn, five shot string 150-1233 ft/lb
    Test four: Factory ammo, five shot string 14-207 ft/lb

I think it's fair to say my chrono is not happy with the gun and all that testing was a complete and utter waste of time!

Next I shot off a bag (still with opens which are next to useless for me) to test groups, all were better than factory, which felt quite thumpy, and the 5.2grn was best. I put 25 shots into about a 5" circle at 25m.
    Please bear in mind this isn't much bigger than I can achieve with my Buck Mark with opens, but once the red dot is on it closes right up!

The journey continues........
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Seems that the chrono speaks with forked tongue. Not seen that kind of chrono before but are you shooting through it too close? Some get confused with the muzzle blast if too close. If shooting alone it is also quite difficult to be sure that you are lined up so the bullet passes through the centre of the aperture - get a friend to stand behind and confirm your line up vertically and horizontally.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Seems that the chrono speaks with forked tongue. Not seen that kind of chrono before but are you shooting through it too close? Some get confused with the muzzle blast if too close. If shooting alone it is also quite difficult to be sure that you are lined up so the bullet passes through the centre of the aperture - get a friend to stand behind and confirm your line up vertically and horizontally.
    Right up against it. I had been shooting further back on Sunday, but was told to shoot closer to avoid hitting the chrono. One one hand, they have a point. On the other, it would be nice to hit something!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Presuming that you have the model which will cater for firearms,then looking at their website it infers that you need to be 1.2M away if using center fire /rimfire guns & use a stencil over the front as an aiming aid (you may find that a red dot sight will make this a bit easier)
    I would suggest a tryout without the chrono first as you won't want to hit that with either cal)

Any more pics of your shot grouping so we can follow the improvement both 9mm & 22

ATB
    James

dont worry too much as you will improve.
    when i first shot my 1858 nma remmington at 25 yds the grouping was pretty bad ....in fact if it was a person they would have had a good chance of walking towards me zig zagging and taking the revolver off me and butt slapping me with it.......unharmed

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Right up against it. I had been shooting further back on Sunday, but was told to shoot closer to avoid hitting the chrono. One one hand, they have a point. On the other, it would be nice to hit something!
    So it worked previously from farther back, and now you get up close and it does not produce reliable results. Suggest read the manual to see if they have a recomendation about minimum shooting distance, and if you are worried about hitting the chrono at that distance you need more practice. Putting a piece of paper over the front aperture (put an aiming mark on it) might deflect enough of the muzzle blast to allow it to work up close.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL