Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Original Eley Wasp Pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Brano View Post
    I'd agree the current or recently out of production pellets are poor at best. This thread has prompted me to email Bisley and point out how poor they are and how missed etc the originals are. I won't hold my breath for a reply.

Current prices are getting silly at an average £30 per tin of 5.6mm Eley Wasps.

4.5 tend to go for about a tenner and theres some rather deluded people on the bay trying to sell them for 20 quid or more.

Last week two tins of the .22 wasp finished at £76 plus postage, and more than once i have even seen .22 blue tins of eley wasp with some other make of pellet in them not wasp pellets and still make £20, i bet who ever bought them was not happy when they got them lol.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    Maybe we could scan a 1990's liz Hurley while we,re at it!
    Weird science .

Just don't include Bra's on heads

Pellets

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Try reading the rest of the thread first and you'll find out why you're wasting your time...
    I'm sure I am but no harm in giving Bisley a nudge if they have any intention of carrying on the Wasp line. If they do get someone to make them it would be interesting to see if they up the quality. I think they were quite happy just churning them out as a cheap option as I'm pretty sure they'll have had plenty of contact over the years pointing out the difference.

I suppose they may see the market for the 5.6 as a limited market particularly if the price was touching premium pellet prices.
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.

Eley wasp prices

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    Last week two tins of the .22 wasp finished at £76 plus postage, and more than once i have even seen .22 blue tins of eley wasp with some other make of pellet in them not wasp pellets and still make £20, i bet who ever bought them was not happy when they got them lol.

Yes I've noticed the different contents a few times and it might be a lack of looking or buyers with not so good eyesight.

Almost £40 per tin is mad but shows just how popular the 5.6 mm 'proper' Eley Wasp are.
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.

Yes I've noticed the different contents a few times and it might be a lack of looking or buyers with not so good eyesight.

Almost £40 per tin is mad but shows just how popular the 5.6 mm 'proper' Eley Wasp are.
    Better get my 4tins in the bay then

Its difficult to imagine those pellets being bought to shoot. They are more likely to have been won by a collector.
    The different contents may be explained by IMI Eley when at Witton, Birmingham subcontracting manufacture of Wasp out to a subcontractor occasionally when they encountered manufacturing problems. There go to subcontractor was the late Luke Camillari of Champion pellet fame, or otherwise Purchasers of these at the time would have been shooters who once the quality of Champion "Wasp" was discovered would put the tin back in the cupboard. They are now emerging as all the old wrinklies have reached the end of their shooting life Only a guess but perhaps the current poor quality, when compared to the old originals, "Wasps" are being made using Champion tooling.

I've one old tin left. Give them a sniff once a year. And sends me back to the good old days! Lid back on. Great pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    I've one old tin left. Give them a sniff once a year. And sends me back to the good old days! Lid back on. Great pellets.
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Exactly this for me.

I don't think there is any other pellets that smell like the original Eley Wasp of the 80s and 90s.

Johnj.
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

Quote Originally Posted by johnj View Post
    Exactly this for me.

I don't think there is any other pellets that smell like the original Eley Wasp of the 80s and 90s.

Johnj.
    I agree, must have been the lube they used
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I have a very early tin of .22 marksman with the push on lid, they have the same smell as the good eley wasps.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    I agree, must have been the lube they used
    Ooooooh! Naughty

Johnj.
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

Quote Originally Posted by johnj View Post
    Ooooooh! Naughty

Johnj.
    Not sure about your thinking...

im sure i read on here a few years ago , someone else was asking the same . think the answer was the original moulds were destroyed somehow and the new wasps are made in moulds that were the best attempt to recreate them . ive used load of tins of the new ones for tin can , and id not even say they are up to the job for that. the only thing the new wasps are good for , is for a make your own fishing sinker kit . and even then you'd prob miss where you are casting at .

but , i do have to say, there is nothing more fun than filling a tin of wasps with aa diablo field , going down the range and outshooting someone with a 1500 quid rifle who gets more and more annoyed with himself as he thinks you are blowing him away with an rm8 and wasps lmao

My 4xtins have sat in my gun cabinate since i bought them in 1989. At the prices they are fetching i might just try my luck on the bay of evil