Thread: Bullet seating depth's for rifle barrel node

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    https://load-data.nosler.com/load-da...250-remington/

I tend to double check with nosler as often a bit more generous than Viht, if you are getting 1 1/4" i don't think changing COAL will dramatically reduce it, it may improve it but I'd be looking at a different bullet or if you want to stick with that bullet then try primer and powder.

FWIW the 50 gr v-max out of my 1:14 .223 AI is an awesome bullet and hammers foxes out to sensible ranges.
    Thanks for looking

Thanks all three of you for taking the time to give me your advice.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Not sure how far you want to go with your case prep but....

I found neck turning the cases made a significant difference.

Ideally you need to load up several ‘batches’ of differing lengths and bench test each for grouping starting at the minimum COAL and move up in say 5thou increments or 10 thou and when you see a distinct group reduction at a point you can then fine tune the length again by group testing.
    To improve concentricity (& therefore consistency) of the rounds when seating the bullet once rotate the cartridge 180 degrees and reseat .

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    Ideally you need to load up several ‘batches’ of differing lengths and bench test each for grouping starting at the minimum COAL and move up in say 5thou increments or 10 thou and when you see a distinct group reduction at a point you can then fine tune the length again by group testing.
    To improve concentricity (& therefore consistency) of the rounds when seating the bullet once rotate the cartridge 180 degrees and reseat .
    Thanks very much for this, iv'e already loaded some up at 5 thou increments just need to test them now.

I hate and detest developing new loads, try to short cut it as much as possible, never seem's to work.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
    Thanks very much for this, iv'e already loaded some up at 5 thou increments just need to test them now.

I hate and detest developing new loads, try to short cut it as much as possible, never seem's to work.

Dave (warbucks)
    easiest way to sort seating depth out is with a lee hand loader.
    set all cases at maximum col with your seating die in the handloader at the range or in the field ( all cases filled with same amount of powder etc ) then shoot a group off etc.
    measure group size and col of ammo used.
    now reduce all the remaining cases by 5 or 10 thou and test again and record.
    keep reducing all remaining cases by same amount and repeat........
    all i do is copy all nightstalkers loads and tailor them to my rifle like i did with my .223
    with my other calibres like 308 and 30-06 i have been lucky and sussed a load out quite quickly

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    https://load-data.nosler.com/load-da...250-remington/I tend to double check with nosler as often a bit more generous than Viht
    Nosler make bullets, not powder, so where pressure figures are involved I'd tend to take notice of the powder-maker's figures.