Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
Once you have that 1/2" group at 100 yards then try it at 200 yards. If it is sub 2" at 200 yards then keep that length and start tweaking the load in 2 or 3 grain increments to get the 200 yards to 1" (or better).
Is that meant to say 0.2 or 0.3 Grn increments?

Dave,

Some bullets just will not work in a particular rifle.

I must have tried 30 different bullets in my .223 and some of them will make tiny clusters all day long, but some just will not settle down, no matter what.
I found the same bullet issue with my .308 staking rifle only without the objective of making tiny clusters.

Before my .223 went in for a rebarrel I had four loads that were my goto loads, 52 grn AMax, 52 Grn SMK, 60 Grn VMax and 55 Grn Dog Town.

When the 60 Grn VMax were finished I tried to use the Sierra equivalent.
It was good out to 200 Yds and OK to 300, but would not work beyond that.
The Nosler equivalent worked as well as the VMax ever did all the way out to 600Yds.

When the 55 Grn Dog Towns were finished I tried to use the Sierra, Hornady and Nosler equivalent.
None would work consistently.
I eventually got those cheap and nasty PPU in 50 and 55grn to make consistent 0.5 MOA groups out to deer control ranges.

The SMK and AMax always performed consistently out to 400Yds, and were a dream to develop loads for, their BC falls off quickly beyond that so that was what they were devloped for.
When the 52Grn AMax went I changed to 53Grn VMax, and they worked just as well.

Also my 1-9 twist .223 wouldn't perform consistently with the heavier SMK, but it would shoot the 68Grn Hornady really well.

I have it all to do again when I get the rifle back, with a faster twist, but I'm actually looking forward to it.

I always work the load then the seating depth, it's each to their own so do what works for you, and I changed to using a lee hand press a few years ago whether in the field or at home.