Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet seating depth's for rifle barrel node

Eyefor is offline The Artist Formerly Known as Maple
    Quote Originally Posted by warbucks View Post
    Thanks very much Eyefor for this ---------------so if i load at 34.5 then alter the seating length by 5 thou over the minimum to maximum seating length your saying some where along this i will get 1/2 group.

Dave (warbucks)
    Start at 5 thou off the lands. Then working from that reduce that in 5 thou increments until you find a decent (sub 1") group. Don't stop at the first decent group, there may be a better one. After finding the best length then tweak the load to make that sub 1" group to be 5 holes touching.

Quote Originally Posted by baldycoot View Post
    Is that meant to say 0.2 or 0.3 Grn increments?

Dave,

Some bullets just will not work in a particular rifle.

I must have tried 30 different bullets in my .223 and some of them will make tiny clusters all day long, but some just will not settle down, no matter what.
    I found the same bullet issue with my .308 staking rifle only without the objective of making tiny clusters.

DEFINITELY .2 or .3 increments. SORRY(and thanks). Post edited.

I agree re bullets and found Sierra 1360 best in my 22-250
    If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it - it's cheaper in the long run. - Felix Dennis

Another thanks for all help and suggestion's

An up date on this
    Shot 10 sets of three bullets starting from 5 thou off the lands pushing back in 5 thou increments -------all loaded with 34.5 gn's of n140
    Best group was 14mm, the group at 5 thou either side of this was 29mm &38mm
    If you imagined all these's 10 groups sort of laid on top of each other, it was shooting in a 60mm type circle or over the 30 shots ie a 60mm group---------if that is a good way to explain it.

Ive loaded another 30 bullets to carry on where i left off so i will have the total data from minimum to maximum length. -----------or am i just wasting my time on these's Hornady 55g v-max bullets.

Question for the experienced re loaders -----on the above information is this a typical sign that the rifle just doesn't like the bullet ?

Iv'e watched a lot of y-tube for information and there is quite a for saying that for a 1-14's are better with 50g bullets or lighter do better.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Hi Dave,
    is 14mm edge to edge or centre to centre?

If it was edge to edge I would now be tweaking the powder charge either side of your current load to see if I could hit the node where the bullet is leaving the muzzle at the same point of oscillation every shot.

Elwood is offline Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean to say they aren't trying to get me.
    As someone has said drop down to 50 grain projectiles. The Nosler ballistic tips although expensive are a good projectile.
    God has a hard on for green rifles

Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
    Hi Dave,
    is 14mm edge to edge or centre to centre?

If it was edge to edge I would now be tweaking the powder charge either side of your current load to see if I could hit the node where the bullet is leaving the muzzle at the same point of oscillation every shot.
    Centre to centre.
    Without exactly repeating the 34.5 gn's and 2440" over all length i cannot 100% say this was a fluke/ none repeatable but i'm 99% sure.

I loaded up the remaining 10 lots of 3 at 5 thou increment to complete the entire minimum/10 thou under minimum, to maximum/ 5 thou off the lands, started from the low end so if i hit the spot, i could then push the remaining ones back -------stopped at the 5th set ie 15 rounds, it was clear that they were just doing the same as all the rest, basically moving randomly within this imaginary 60mm circle.

My advise to anyone else thinking about doing overall bullet seating depths first before overall/sorted powder charges is, its a complete waste of time money and barrel life.

Been watching a lot of y-tube for good information, there is a lot that have adopted the "Scott Matterlee" 10 round crono test to find plato's in velocity/s and '"tweeked" bullet seating depth from there --------seem' s to have worked for a lot of people.
    I hear what your saying about trying a 50 g v-max type bullet.
    With the amount of rounds that iv'e already gone through (150) -ish, and the load still no where near (perhaps with me going about it the wrong way ?) it would have been cheaper for me to buy a chronograph -----if this would cut down the load development time.
    Think my load of 34.5gn's is just too for off a accuracy node.
    Going to progressively try further up the powder load and see where i go from there.

Dave (warbucks)
    Theoben Rapid MK1 177
    AA S410 22
    Bushnall Scout Range Finder
    Hawk 3 x 9 x 40 m.a.p scopes
    Deben mini pro lamping system

Elwood is offline Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean to say they aren't trying to get me.
    Dave, if the barrel doesn't like the bullet it doesn't matter how much testing you do it will be worthless, chronograph or not . Any modern day rifle should be capable of 3/4 - 1/2 MOA groups
    God has a hard on for green rifles

Try the 50 gr v-max
    Thanks for looking