Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Squirrels... a question

Tasty

They make a really nice meal and are underappreciated as a food.
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Brano View Post
    But did you know that some Doctors say some squirrels could carry Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, better known as mad-cow disease, which zombie-fies you by eating holes in your brains.

Our houses back on to a decent sized wood and unfortunately there is a growing squirrel population in it.
    I say unfortunately because they chew through our wheelie bins to raid for food and sometimes scatter food scraps all over the gardens,
    which leads to another problem rats, because the next street over has a big problem with them and my neighbours and I are worried the food will draw the rats.

We have a lot of cats around our street and they are always in the small grassed area between the houses and the woods hunting mice so I think (hope) they also keep the rats away.

Either way to us squirrels are destructive vermin and although I have a bird box squirrel trap from squirrel management uk, I have no issues destroying them on sight.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    I too would rather watch them than shoot them, but they have cost me money by twice chewing through the wiring to the ABS sensors on my van and once chewing through CCTV cable. The CCTV cable was clipped to a steel catenary wire strung right across an industrial estate yard, the squirrels chewed it into foot long lengths right across the yard.

My old mother,sister and niece wonder why no small birds use the garden table anymore.

Those bushy tailed critters have chased them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    But did you know that some Doctors say some squirrels could carry Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, better known as mad-cow disease, which zombie-fies you by eating holes in your brains.
    I watched Hugh Furnley prepping one on tv.
    Looked hard work for what's on them.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    I watched Hugh Furnley prepping one on tv.
    Looked hard work for what's on them.
    They don't taste all that good either.

Diseases

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I'm aware that they 'may' carry a few things and thats like a few other animal's we interact with or eat such as rabies 'thankfully not an issue here' and Lyme disease.

At the end of the day intensively farmed animals are full of drugs and can carry and spread all sorts. I'll take my chances eating the odd healthy rabbit or grey squirrel and venison etc that are as near organic as your going to get.

It doesn't surprise me most people aren't keen on trying them but they make really good eating.
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brano View Post
    I took one home for the cat once, thought it would be a change from rabbit.

Cat had a sniff & looked up at me like I was mad