Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
There are times when pest control is carried out because it is badly needed . I wouldn't say it is carried out with a 'heavy heart' but one can indeed not like the task. One I remember was clearing about 60 feral cats out of a hospital grounds. The RSPCA had been involved but every time they set traps, some 'enlightened' animal loving hospital staff were either tripping the traps or releasing captured cats. In the end, shooting was decided to be the only realistic solution to the problem. The task was not enjoyed as 'Sport' by the 3 of us that carried out the task and it was actually hard work to achieve success.

Pests like Rats are a major health risk to humans and a predator risk to other species. They are not the easiest creatures to eradicate so if someone gets pleasure out of carrying out a job that is of benefit to the community as a whole , why not.

Grey squirrels are not only a real, introduced pest, but also are good eating so I'll take most opportunities to put healthy food in the freezer that I can. Feral pigeons are top of my pest list actually, the health risks they create and the damage they cause is greatly underestimated.

'Conservation' is only 1 of the many reasons to control pests. There are many others.
Interesting post
But talking about Eating Squirrels in the middle of a pandemic

When Doctors say some squirrels could carry Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, better known as mad-cow disease, which zombie-fies you by eating holes in your brains.

What next eating Bats