Thread: Squirrels... a question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Grey squirrel.

Clearly hunting can be an emotive subject. Even amongst those who's common interest is shooting sports in its various forms.
    Personally I respect those that prefer to use any form of weaponry for a test of their marksmanship. I too like to put myself to the test that way every so often.

When it comes to grey squirrels the point has been well made above. The grey is an invasive species. Pure and simple. No iffs, no buts. And the point has also been made it's not the only one. Man in his infinite wisdom has tinkered with nature. I think I've heard tell of Zander in our rivers, American crawfish too. I do get the point that the grey squirrels only crime is to be somewhere it's not wanted. It could not have got here on its own accord. However, now here it has become a pest. That is perhaps open to discussion and a point of view, but it is nonetheless official environmental policy.

For me I have shot grey squirrels for more years than I care to recall. Of late, my prime reason is by way of the amount of winter animal feed a local population made its way through on a local farm. But from way back I have always shot them on the basis of their threat to our own native red squirrel.
    Regrettably, I fear this is perhaps a losing battle. Though it was heartening that a grey squirrel cull on the Isle of Anglesey in North Wales has seen numbers of red squirrels increase in that area. And this cull was also backed by the noted and respected wildlife expert Iolo Williams. Someone who advocates for wildlife in all its forms.

So, for those who baulk at the idea of shooting a grey squirrel, from my point of view, that is perfectly fine. It really is genuinely a personal choice. However perhaps, just perhaps if we all stood on the sidelines we quite possibly could see the extinction of the native red squirrel population of this country. And by "all" I also mean the powers that be- our own government.
    They tell me that way before I arrived on this mudball it was possible to see red squirrels in the south Wales valleys. Unless a miracle happens I won't get to experience that pleasure in my lifetime.
    So, I do my little bit to give a helping hand to the reds. Even though it feels like swimming against a tide at times.
    Dave

Wildlife is undoubtedly facing a tough future. Just look at the Hedgehog, in 1950 theres was around 30 million today theres around a million.