Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Squirrels... a question

Rats, Grays, Magpies - just out n out varmints !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

back yard shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I perfer to watch them than kill them
    https://youtu.be/DsuVLsDyln4
    i agree, iam not a fan of magpies, but i guess they have young to feed, also raptors take a selection of young birds from the garden, again for food, cats do it for fun, cant really see how you can shoot squirrels in you back garden anyway unless they are on the ground.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by sarpaul View Post
    i agree, iam not a fan of magpies, but i guess they have young to feed, also raptors take a selection of young birds from the garden, again for food, cats do it for fun, cant really see how you can shoot squirrels in you back garden anyway unless they are on the ground.
    Not all back gardens are the same. A lady who lives not very far from me has more than 1,800 square miles of back garden.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    There is only one thing that should be shot in backyards...rats...there is a no good reason for killing anything else.
    Thats why they get called tree rats.

back yard

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Not all back gardens are the same. A lady who lives not very far from me has more than 1,800 square miles of back garden.
    i dont think that could be classed as a back garden?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by thumbhole View Post
    Thats why they get called tree rats.
    Did you know that the first human ancestors looked like squirrels

When I first got permission to shoot in a forestry site the owner explained the damage they do was like someone taking money from his account and getting nothing for it. Add into the damage to bird life and the red squirrels there is very little to praise the grey for!

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    This is what I would say is fair enough, with a heavy heart, not use conservation as a excuse to enjoy killing something with your airgun.
    I wonder how many hunter's kill with a heavy heart
    Well here's another 50 something going soft, I like to watch the squirrels but they do a lot of damage and take a lot of birds and eggs when they get larger in numbers.
    I haven't really liked killing anything for a good 20 years or more, and only do so when needed now, with a heavy heart.
    I have a small holding with of which three acres I have left as a wildlife meadow, and planted a shelter bed of about 250 trees at the bottom, and I control very little other than a few magpies and squirrels when I think they are doing damage.
    The rabbits were prolific but they were wiped out about five years ago, probably with the liver fluke or similar and are just coming back, but they collapse the dykes when the numbers are higher with their burrows as we are on sandy land. There are only about three rabbits at the moment but already they are chewing saplings I have planted and burrowing into the field. I am not a wealthy farmer so I will have to dig deep so to speak, to hire an excavator to clean the dykes out again this year so that we don't flood.

This is what I was referring to in an earlier post when I said it depends how big your back yard is, if you are lucky enough to have a bit of land, then they become more of a nuisance.
    Having said all of that the meadow is already bringing in more voles, more kestrels and occasional barn owl, and little owls. The birds nesting around the small holding now are very numerous. This year we've got everything nesting from pheasants, partridge, thrushes, blue tits, great tits, blackcaps, chaffinch, wrens, robins, wagtails, whitethroat, woodpeckers, etc etc.
    The biggest problem I have are Roe deer and an occasional muntjac. I don't have the heart to get rid, so I put up with the occasional tree lost and buy more tree guards.

Not everyone that kills vermin is a blood thirsty heartless soul.
    Last edited by DEAN C.; 29-06-2020 at 11:46 PM.
    BASC

robby is offline Whos the odd one out now
    I had one went into my kitchen and left a yellow piss on the table! Hardly shy to say the least!. Plenty of them critters in my local park, kinda tame as they come right at you looking for tasty bits.

as I read this and look out window theres one on next doors bird feeder

Your feelings about them doesn't come in to it, any more than your feelings about paying your tax.

They are listed as an invasive pest species end of argument, as such we all have an obligation to the British Countryside to dispatch them should the opportunity arise.

Not to do so is as harmful to native wildlife as lobbing your rubbish out the car window.

Disease carrying destructive nest thieves.

as the two previous,atb mick

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock50 View Post
    Cats don't usually get into the attic and eat wiring.
    Yeah, but they do crap in my garden and make it stink.
    If there was choice, I know which would go first on my property.

Wildlife is undoubtedly facing a tough future. Just look at the Hedgehog, in 1950 theres was around 30 million today theres around a million.