Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Squirrels... a question

My garden is not a grey squirrel friendly environment. There are reds not too far away that need all the help they can get.

The only reason Grey Squirrels, tree rats, aren't a bigger pest than they are is become some people actually can be bothered to manage their numbers.
    They are an invasive pest and do untold damage; nothing cute about them.

Rabbits are cute, but also require their numbers managed.

I actually admire slugs. I also know millions upon millions are poisoned every year so I can have my Wetabix.

Greys, rats and magpies all get the message here, (i also have two dozen bird feeders) and after a few years the results are very rewarding, everything else is thriving, the garden is absolutely packed with young birds at the minute.

As an electrician I have been to many property and seen damage to the electric cables in lofts and holiday caravans that a squirrel has gained entry through the smallest hole and completely wrecked the joint so if they start too increase in numbers you have to knock them back
    Waveneyshootingclub.org

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Interesting post
    But talking about Eating Squirrels in the middle of a pandemic

When Doctors say some squirrels could carry Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, better known as mad-cow disease, which zombie-fies you by eating holes in your brains.

What next eating Bats

And squirrels could climb into your loft space, chew your wiring and burn you alive in the resulting house fire.

Not too sure about eating bats, I've eaten spiders, earthworms and ants but I think I'll take a rain check on bats until I'm desperate

Ps. Do you know the difference between PMT and BSE? the first is Mad Cow disease and the other is an agricultural problem

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiont10 View Post
    Squirrels are simply tree Rats - if you have never witnessed the carnage they cause to our native Wildlife then you need to get out in the countryside a lot more. We have been shooting 200 ish /year for the last 3-4 years due to a dramatic decline in some bird species - finally we are seeing Nuthatches and Treecreepers returning to our 5k woodland - EVERY opportunity to shoot a grey should be taken.
    That’s quite a good overview that sums up why Gray Squirrels are best shot on site wherever safe and legal to do so
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Give me a squirrel over a fat fluffy,psychopathic house cat any day,at least squirrels work for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiont10 View Post
    finally we are seeing Nuthatches and Treecreepers returning
    Used to see nuthatches in the garden, not seen one in years
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Interesting answers and thank you to all that replied.
    Having read all these and done some reading of my own, it does appear that some are quite sensible and knowledgeable on the subject and some just want to shoot something dead sadly.
    Some little extras to chuck in...
    It would appear that All squirrels (including reds) predate on bird's nests, so that argument is pretty poor for being selective about the species.
    It would also appear that there is some agreement that domestic and feral cats have a far greater effect on suburban songbird populations, but of course, these are not controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Having read all these and done some reading of my own, it does appear that some are quite sensible and knowledgeable on the subject and some just want to shoot something dead sadly.
    It would appear that All squirrels (including reds) predate on bird's nests, so that argument is pretty poor for being selective about the species.
    It would also appear that there is some agreement that domestic and feral cats have a far greater effect on suburban songbird populations, but of course, these are not controlled.
    Cats don't usually get into the attic and eat wiring.

My garden backs onto a couple of dozen acres of woodland which is home to a large quantity of squirrels, but they don't seem that interested in my garden

Although I do get a few now and again coming to visit the feeders.. To be honest I like seeing them along withe the large variety of bird life we get.. Over the past 40 odd years I must have shot thousands of avian quarry/rabbits/rats etc but never a squizzer.

However over the past year or so I have become uncomfortable with the whole idea of killing anything.. I can't even tell you why but it just clicked into my mind about six months ago to not shoot critters anymore..

Not decrying anyone for doing it but it's not my bag these days.. I mentioned this to my shooting buddy about the same time and he confided he was having the same feelings

Must be going soft in my middle age

With populations estimated at 140,000 red and 2.5 million grey, being selective about the species seems to be very reasonable.

The Red is native. It does nowhere near the damage that the grey does.
    They are also endangered and protected by law. I am happy for reds to roam the country from lands end to john ogroats.
    The grey on the other hand is an unwelcome invader and we need a more concertated effort to protect our environment whether is micro bacterial and virus protection or vegetation based.

I would do all I can to remove this species from our lands and join any initiatives to do so.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I shoot Grey's at my work.
    It's a one hundred acre estate but due to constraints I only shoot at one feeder.
    About five years ago we started a trapping program but it didn't have much effect due to the amount of trap tampering , so I just shoot now.
    At that one feeder in a one acre wood I have shot upwards of 600 squirrels in the past couple of years , in this past six months maybe about eight.
    Our estate is now absolutely alive with wild birds , nuthatches , tree creepers , tits , woodpeckers , finches of all sorts and especially this year a huge increase in goldfinches.
    We also see Red squirrels every day and have them nesting on site , whereas before we'd only see them in the autumn foraging about.
    Grey squirrel control certainly works all done with the cooperation of Saving Scotland's Red Squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    I shoot Grey's at my work.
    It's a one hundred acre estate but due to constraints I only shoot at one feeder.
    About five years ago we started a trapping program but it didn't have much effect due to the amount of trap tampering , so I just shoot now.
    At that one feeder in a one acre wood I have shot upwards of 600 squirrels in the past couple of years , in this past six months maybe about eight.
    Our estate is now absolutely alive with wild birds , nuthatches , tree creepers , tits , woodpeckers , finches of all sorts and especially this year a huge increase in goldfinches.
    We also see Red squirrels every day and have them nesting on site , whereas before we'd only see them in the autumn foraging about.
    Grey squirrel control certainly works all done with the cooperation of Saving Scotland's Red Squirrels.
    Spot on! I used to shoot the little b*ggers on the hill behind Rhu many years ago and always took the antis to see the damage they did to habitat. Not many here in D&G but we do get reds in the garden, and I notice the Magpies making a bid to repopulate the area - not in my back yard!! So D&G public enemies No1 as far as I am concerned are greys and magpies!

Keep safe and well
    atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!