Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Tempest

Webley Tempest

Hand on heart, and be honest. Has anyone hit the bullseye from 6 yards away with this pistol, in .177 or .22 ? Or is this pistol in the same category as the Gat ?

I tried.

I just happened to have my .22 to hand so I've shot 3 groups at 7 and a bit yards rested. One 10 shot group which is going high, then two 5 shot groups held under in the hope of hitting the middle. Hopefully the links below work.

These aren't my best groups, just the first twenty pellets I had to hand.

https://ibb.co/kSpjwTq
    https://ibb.co/M9hyMnh

I know I can do a bit better and anyone with a bit of talent could do much better. The main thing is, I've had great fun shooting it and everyone who has used mine hasn't wanted to hand it back.

I have always found the Tempest very accurate. Years ago, I used a Hurricane in an open 6 yard air pistol match and placed 3rd out of 9, so was well chuffed.

Excellent pistols IMHO

John M

Red face They're the best...

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I have always found the Tempest very accurate....Excellent pistols IMHO

John M
    Agreed. It's not a match pistol for most, but they are very comfortable, virtually indestructable and you can get (for a springer) good groups. I have scored bulls on numerous occasions with Tempest and Hurricanes, but that's because I've had both for knocking on 30 years, I shoot them a lot and I'm happy to put them (the bulls) down to luck, with a bit of judgement. And as a single shot plinking pistol as well, I see no better alternative out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakyChef View Post
    I just happened to have my .22 to hand so I've shot 3 groups at 7 and a bit yards rested. One 10 shot group which is going high, then two 5 shot groups held under in the hope of hitting the middle. Hopefully the links below work.

These aren't my best groups, just the first twenty pellets I had to hand.

https://ibb.co/kSpjwTq
    https://ibb.co/M9hyMnh

I know I can do a bit better and anyone with a bit of talent could do much better. The main thing is, I've had great fun shooting it and everyone who has used mine hasn't wanted to hand it back.
    They can be pellet fussy and like big ones. What pellets were you using and was any part of the pistol touching the rest please?

I was using some very old, slightly dull looking Hobbies that I'm using up.

I shot off a beanbag footrest, which would have been in contact with the gun at the front, trigger guard and butt.

I have noticed better power and better groups with some pellets, but I can't remember what this one prefers.

So the answer is to shoot at 7 and a bit yards?
    No wonder I couldn't hit my target.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakyChef View Post
    I was using some very old, slightly dull looking Hobbies that I'm using up.

I shot off a beanbag footrest, which would have been in contact with the gun at the front, trigger guard and butt.

I have noticed better power and better groups with some pellets, but I can't remember what this one prefers.
    I have a habit of not letting any part of the gun touch a rest when using any springer. I think the different damping provides too many variables to get best results. Keep trying different pellets and you will settle on one that works.

Soft rests are fine for springers, never rest them on a hard surface.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Certainly better than a GAT

I'm on my second Tempest. Loved the first one. Grass is greener on the other side syndrome. The first one was very accurate, the replacement not so accurate. I lost a tad confidence in using the replacement pistol but it might not have been paired with the right pellet yet. It would certainly group an inch at 10m. I wouldn't expect much more than that with open sights and so I am very happy as pistol go

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    It's no Gat, but it's still ok.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

At 6 yards I could certainly get a 1 inch group with my old Tempest in .22 but I suppose it depends on the gun, I have had a few over the years and they were all pretty good apart from the last one (the Turkish model) which was dreadful in all aspects..

Not really into air pistols but I do like a Webley, it's certainly a classic

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    Hand on heart, and be honest. Has anyone hit the bullseye from 6 yards away with this pistol, in .177 or .22 ? Or is this pistol in the same category as the Gat ?
    My arms are buggered and I have to shoot two handed---but pretty much every Webley pistol I own will hit a bottle cap at 7 1/2 -- 8 yards more often than not.
    I took a Senior out tonight, that I changed the piston on a few days ago and is still settling in (over oiling) and by aiming at 7 o clock) was killing bottle caps even after a bottle or so of wine.

I do wish we could still get Milbro Caledionians as these seem to fit the Webley barrels so well and plink well.

I have done a thread on tuning the Tempest trigger. It is on here and on Dannys site https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....pest/#post-233
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

I am not alone in a consensus of opinions this little pistol should be pretty good at the range you are shooting, bottle tops at this range is a good guide.

Since you are having accuracy issues, try a change in pellet as some barrels can be pellet fussy. Also, clean the barrel and check the muzzle exit for minor damage as it could be clipping on exit.

Both my Tempest has an aggressive twang so maybe try resting it's butt on a cushion to steady the aim. Lastly, I'd let a friend have a go to see if better groups can be had.

Ive shot 1cm edge edge groups (5 shots) with it at about 5 yards. And Ive shot 47 ex 50 on 10m one handed and 1"groups at 10m of about 20 shots. . So yes, no problem hitting a bullseye.
    As long as YOU do yr thing, theyre very hold sensitive. Them do best with a firm grip from shooting hand
    ATB,
    yana