Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley Tempest

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    I have several Tempests and Hurricanes in both .177 and .22, also a .22 Typhoon, and find all of them fine plinking pistols.
    I find no problem in making regular contact with the bases of bean cans placed end-on, and shot at from 20+ yards - particularly with my favourite .22 Tempest, which is fitted with Beeman wooden combat grips. It's always served me well on a diet RWS Hobbies, tho' the older 5.6mm British pellets sit tighter in the breech.
    Interestingly, the slightly lower powered Typhoon seems to be slightly easier to shoot well, with the lower strength spring allowing more forgiving characteristics.
    Regards to all, Clogger

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Cool

In .22 using geckos I shot a hung up Guinness can in half... eventually. It's OK at 6 yards, there after you're lucky to do much more than hit the target paper.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

Quote Originally Posted by CLOGGER View Post
    I have several Tempests and Hurricanes in both .177 and .22, also a .22 Typhoon, and find all of them fine plinking pistols.
    I find no problem in making regular contact with the bases of bean cans placed end-on, and shot at from 20+ yards - particularly with my favourite .22 Tempest, which is fitted with Beeman wooden combat grips. It's always served me well on a diet RWS Hobbies, tho' the older 5.6mm British pellets sit tighter in the breech.
    Interestingly, the slightly lower powered Typhoon seems to be slightly easier to shoot well, with the lower strength spring allowing more forgiving characteristics.
    Regards to all, Clogger
    I noticed my Typhoon was Veryvery accurate too. At 6 yrds. Dunno why though. Maybe it is because of weaker spring indeed. Maybe its just a very accurate example.
    ATB,
    yana

I must confess that I couldn't hit a barn door with the one I had. That might just have been me though!

Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    Hand on heart, and be honest. Has anyone hit the bullseye from 6 yards away with this pistol, in .177 or .22 ? Or is this pistol in the same category as the Gat ?
    I love my tempest and have always found it accurate for the type of pistol it is. Bottle tops out to 10yards are perfectly doable. I have noticed it takes a bit of practice to achieve good results, often if I hand it to a friend they struggle to hit even a bean tin but usually improve with some guidance and practice. It will never perform particularly well on a 10m card against a decent target pistol but I don’t think you can beat it as a compact, self contained fun plinker which is more what it was designed for.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    . It's OK at 6 yards, there after you're lucky to do much more than hit the target paper.
    Learn to shoot. The Tempest is impressive at 10m, for a recoiling pistol in the "wrong" calibre.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/147194...7679889617485/
    And, as the title of the pic says, "6 yards is too easy".
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/147194...7679889617485/
    All targets were shot single handed, target stance.
    Last edited by harry mac; 09-07-2020 at 12:32 AM.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Nice grip you have on that Tempest. Nice big thumbrest. Who made the grip?
    ATB,
    yana

My first air pistol was a Hurricane- I found it very accurate & at the time the 2nd most powerful pistol after the BSA scorpion. I fired mine in a double handed 'police' grip.

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Nice grip you have on that Tempest. Nice big thumbrest. Who made the grip?
    Could have been made by Andy, Airgunner177. He makes grips for quite a few pistols.

Webley Tempest

I ve had a .177 Tempest for the last 28 years ( still in great nick as well... ) and i get reasonably accurate shots with it - do get the odd flyer but usually pretty good to be honest - feels lovely in the hand so it does !
    - cheers, Les.

Had my Tempest since 1980 and love it, I stripped it last night to clean and relubed it with moly paste and it's unbelievably reliable.
    Ed - HW77 mk2 .22 + Vmach kit - HW80 mk1 .22 + Vmach kit - Webley Tempest 1979 -
    https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk

IMHO it's a good solid pistol excellent for short range plinking. I wouldn't consider it for serious target work.

Quote Originally Posted by pajj View Post
    IMHO it's a good solid pistol excellent for short range plinking. I wouldn't consider it for serious target work.
    Funnily enough I used a .177 Hurricane in a couple of 6 yard NSRA competitions around 30 years ago and managed to place 3rd out of 9 competitors. Not saying I was a competent shot back then - maybe the others were simply a lot worse than me! That Hurricane certainly did me proud though.

John

Indeed, you'd be surprised. Without practising 10m 1 handed with it, I shot a 47 ex 50 with it.
    And because of its reversed recoil system its ideal as FA trainer.
    ATB,
    yana