Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HW30S for target shooting. MPL and Bell Target?

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    I needed to raise my HW30S front sight and Ryan at Intershoot recommended a Centra 8mm raiser (Walther fitting.)
    It bolted straight on to the barrel's dovetails but needed 5 minutes of very easy filing to accept my HW80 sight and is rock solid.

I have a good selection of Walther raiser blocks, so I will see what I can do with them, but the dovetails in the HW barrel to take the front sight are a fair bit narrower than those that the Walther fitting raiser blocks are intended to fit.

With the use of some shim (on both sides of the dovetail) to take up the differences between the two different widths it should be possible to make a fit and the shims will prevent the front sight from being shifted across to one side if all of the tightening is take up on the one side only.

Russ uses a very similar method to fit a Centra front sight onto his HW barrels, so I will do the same on the raiser block so my Centra front sight can fit directly onto the raiser block with no width adjustment being needed.

........I should have thought about this sooner - so thanks for the inspiration!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I only ever use my HW30S for Bell Target and 10m paper and have never considered the couple of thou discrepancy that mixing these rail, block and sight combos raise to be a real issue.

Certainly not at my skill/accuracy level anyway.

And, if it's any further help, there's some pics and dimensions here -

And... the link doesn't work. Looks like something here is stopping it from pasting in full because it comes from another forum.
    Oh well...
    Last edited by Brimfire; 19-06-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Shallow ‘looks’ driven

I ridicule myself for saying this, but...

A lot of the peep sights are a visual monstrosity - like bolting a brick outhouse to the Saturn 5 rocket IMO. I have a Williams that is very low and small, so doesn’t spoil the lines (even with the little bit of aluminium to raise the peep hole by 8mm). Why oh why can’t we add a picture instead of a link! If the Williams had thread adjusters instead of grub screws graunching into dovetails it would be perfect.

zephyr,

I find with the Williams receiver sights, the distance of the aperture to my eye is far too large.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Picked one up today, old injuries are making the 75 a struggle to hold after more than 15/20 shots, so will see how this goes, feels tiny though

Rob,

After a good fettle, they are a joy to shoot

Mine had the worst galling ever seen on an HW, had a torn piston seal, and an S-shaped spring - it was brand new !

A good fettle, PTFE blocks in the cocking lever slot, a Vortek PG2 spring kit, and an appropriate lube : the rifle now cocks and shoot sublimely.

It now lives in a Warren Edwards stock.

By way of some experimenting, the HW30S now wears a Holosun HE510 2 MOA red-dot sight.

First impressions of shooting with the red-dot are very good indeed

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post

If the Williams had thread adjusters instead of grub screws graunching into dovetails it would be perfect.

My Williams peeps have a sliding bar that clamps onto the dove tail so doesn't mark it. [See photo for a better explanation.]

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Rob,

After a good fettle, they are a joy to shoot

Mine had the worst galling ever seen on an HW, had a torn piston seal, and an S-shaped spring - it was brand new !

A good fettle, PTFE blocks in the cocking lever slot, a Vortek PG2 spring kit, and an appropriate lube : the rifle now cocks and shoot sublimely.

Russ
    I must have been lucky. The two I acquired (mine & Zoomas) needed little fettling - just a re-lube, a couple of bearing washers and the trigger tweaked - and they are great. Resting I did a 49 ex 50 @ 10m.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

[QUOTE=I. J.
    I must have been lucky. The two I acquired (mine & Zoomas) needed little fettling - just a re-lube, a couple of bearing washers and the trigger tweaked - and they are great. Resting I did a 49 ex 50 @ 10m. [/QUOTE]

Tis true - the pair of HW30S that IJ acquired for us are very good.

The action has always been superb on them and Ian's minor tweaking just made them even better.

I found the rifle a bit small, but the Warren Edwards stock has made it a perfect fit to compliment the excellent action.

I understand the IJ has has his stock cut down to make it fit him better

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

I understand the IJ has has his stock cut down to make it fit him better
    Bog orf Lofty.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Bog orf Lofty.
    That must be the most pleasant and restrained reply I have ever had from you

Have you had the snip?

Very Impressed of Rossendale

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    That must be the most pleasant and restrained reply I have ever had from you

Have you had the snip?

Very Impressed of Rossendale
    No - Im still a complete prick.

Big Boy of Blackburn.

No - Im still a complete prick.

Big Boy of Blackburn.

It's not only an inflated ego that you have then eh?

Knob!

My Williams peeps have a sliding bar that clamps onto the dove tail so doesn't mark it. [See photo for a better explanation

I must have been lucky. The two I acquired (mine & Zoomas) needed little fettling - just a re-lube, a couple of bearing washers and the trigger tweaked - and they are great. Resting I did a 49 ex 50 @ 10m.
    You know you wanna sell me one wiv knobs on!🙏
    J.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot1kill View Post
    You know you wanna sell me one wiv knobs on!🙏
    J.
    You mean - one of my SPARE ones?

The answer starts with 'N' and ends in 'O' because it may make me one SHORT.

Short in leg,
    Long in memory.

My mate!

You mean - one of my SPARE ones?

The answer starts with 'N' and ends in 'O' because it may make me one SHORT.

Short in leg,
    Long in memory.
    Have I told you recently how big a guy I consider you to be?
    J. Xx
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]