Thread: Smk cp1

Unhappy Smk cp1

Hi All,

it's been a while since I've had much time to do any shooting, and I've just got out a SMK CP1 that I hadn't really used much due to time constraints.
    Knocking over tin cans at the weekend with my son's, it struck me odd that every so often it would seem we got a shot that "went missing"..
    Then whilst loading, and keeping the muzzle pointed at the floor, I noticed the problem, the pellet fell out of the end of the barrel!
    I tried it again, same thing happened.
    It's actually quite tight to get the pellet past the breach. So was quite surprised at this.
    There is not much in way of marks on the pellet caused by the barrel rifling.
    Now I think the pistol is maybe 3 years old, so getting a warranty claim on it might be a challenge. But I've emailed SMK to find out.

Firstly, I assume this is not normal!
    Secondly, how easy is it to obtain and replace the barrel.
    I have tried it with Bisley Practice, JSB and some old Eley wasps - all the same. The Eley wasps just a bit tighter in the breach.

Any advice welcome!

Rich

You have three grub screw on top Of barrel ,take it out and see inside The only thing I can think if someone has put a ,22 barrel instead of .177
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    You have three grub screw on top Of barrel ,take it out and see inside The only thing I can think if someone has put a ,22 barrel instead of .177
    After a bit of digging around, it seems it's a problem with some CP1 and CP2 pistols, where the breech end of the barrel is left undersized slightly, by a burr or other machining effect.
    I have removed the barrel, and using fine abrasive paper wrapped around a skewer smoothed the inside of the barrel until just passed the transfer port.
    Before that, the force of pushing pellets past the transfer port was high, and the pellets were being reduced in diameter to below 4.4mm, with totally smoothed skirts. The pellet would then fall out once passed that constriction.
    Afterwards, the force is much less. The pellets need pushing all the way through the barrel, and there is at least now some evidence of rifling marks on the skirt of the pellet. They are now sized at about 4.5 after being pushed through, and the barrel choke provides a notable constriction force.
    Bisley Practice seem to be easier than 4.52 JSBs.
    I probably could smooth out the first inch of the barrel a bit more, but I'll try it before doing any more.
    There is a YouTube video where somebody used a 5.5mm drill to open up their .22 barrel.
    Unfortunately, I now need a new barrel seal!

Thanks

Rich