Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

Quote Originally Posted by STR8SHOOT3R View Post
    Dunno about perfection, but a Walther LGV with a Rekord trigger would be pretty close for me.
    To be honest if the LGV / LGU is fitted with a properly thought out trigger blade that makes effective use of the leverage offered by the design of the mechanism then set up correctly, it transforms into something that equals the Rekord or the Air Arms CD trigger unit.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    I stopped reading when he mentioned the record and air arms trigger, followed by 'we don't need a trigger that good in our ideal air rifle'. Followed by the Sig trigger which is more limiting in its adjustments, more complex in design, and requiring more components to make.

I assume the rest of that blog post will just be continuing to praise Sig.
    I stopped reading years ago when he claimed the HW35 was so named because it has a 35mm piston stroke, Dan.

If you scroll down to 'Weihrauch model numbers', you can read it for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I stopped reading years ago when he claimed the HW35 was so named because it has a 35mm piston stroke, Dan.

Next you'll be telling me my TX doesn't have 200mm stroke

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

Maybe he was referring to the 6 yards paper target version, Jim?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have offered on many occasions my view that the BEST general purpose, self contained and standard production legal limit air rifle EVER MADE is the Theoben Fenman in .20.
    This also happens to be a break barrel so would be my pick to answer this particular question.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I have offered on many occasions my view that the BEST general purpose, self contained and standard production legal limit air rifle EVER MADE is the Theoben Fenman in .20.
    This also happens to be a break barrel so would be my pick to answer this particular question.
    I agree with you Nick but being fussy they could have a better trigger.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I like so many aspects of many break barrels, making it hard to choose.

Keeping it simple (and pretty standard) I'd have to say the HW95, mildly fettled.
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    hw tuned 95k in 22
    Yep, the more I think, the more I'm with the lovely 95, as it exhibits so many desirable attributes.

For hunting, standard stock. For more target work, maybe fit the 98 stock?

But then I do love manual barrel latches. I haven't studied the LGV's latch close up, but would guess it's pretty much superb. 25mm bore and synthetic bearings attract; the weight & size (with hunting in mind) and the trigger less so.

So......how about that favourite, old classic, the HW35? The later, synthetic sealed versions make power easier. Barrel lock up, barrel quality, sturdy construction, accuracy and trigger all tick the boxes. But, ideally, maybe a custom stock or adjustable comb for scope use.

Wouldn't it be ironic if this gracefully ageing and respected classic were to feature highly?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

The FWB 127 Sport MK1 in .22 flavour

Quote Originally Posted by STR8SHOOT3R View Post
    Dunno about perfection, but a Walther LGV with a Rekord trigger would be pretty close for me.
    Yeah, I would have kept the LGV if it wasn't for that horrible rear-block-safety-trigger-something.
    With a custom stock it would be close to perfection.

So......how about that favourite, old classic, the HW35? The later, synthetic sealed versions make power easier. Barrel lock up, barrel quality, sturdy construction, accuracy and trigger all tick the boxes. But, ideally, maybe a custom stock or adjustable comb for scope use.

Wouldn't it be ironic if this gracefully ageing and respected classic were to feature highly?
    Mick's HW35 LGV is interesting, as it solves the 30mm inefficiency issue.
    But the 35's lockup isn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Mick's HW35 LGV is interesting, as it solves the 30mm inefficiency issue.
    But the 35's lockup isn't good enough.
    Mick's 25mm '35 is, most certainly, a beauty, evert. And I've been fortunate enough to have a few shots with it on more than one occasion. However, I seem to remember even Mick himself saying that, once he had lengthened the stroke on an older '35 (simply switching to the later piston is an even easier route for most) by about 5mm to 69-70mm, rifles such converted shoot that sweetly that he questions whether the 25mm conversion is worth the extra effort.

It would be lovely to compare '35s in different states of tune, like Mick's 25mm vs 70mm stroked one, on Jim Tyler's rig, giving a scientific and measurable comparison of recoil, surge, pellet exit timings and recoil and surge acceleration. In the meantime, just shooting and comparing, especially from different positions to gauge hold sensitivity, with a cross-section of knowledgeable and proficient springer shooters, is as close as most may get.

Personally, I'm more than happy with the '35's manual breech latch. Quiet and refined in operation. Yes, it may have its shortcomings, but it certainly provides a solid lock up if there are no issues. Guessing the LGV one may well be superior, though. And the one on the Slavia 634 is good, too.

Be great to see you at a Bash one day if you could possibly make it. Next year, maybe?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thumbs up

Original 65 with 12ft/lb and barrel shroud removed.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    A nicely sorted HW 80 will take a lot of beating

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Original 65 with 12ft/lb and barrel shroud removed.
    +1. Or an Original 60 Tylorean.

Back in the real world a well sorted Original 45 with a 15 or 16 inch barrel and moderator.

Be great to see you at a Bash one day if you could possibly make it. Next year, maybe?
    Thats been a dream since the first Bash... The missus has some libraries she wants to visit in the UK, so it might be possible to persuade her to take a trip..