Thread: Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I have the rare "Custom" model that has the nut and bolt breech (like what's fitted to the later Mercury/Challenger), so no sloppy breech and the trigger is the same what's on the Superstar/Goldstar, so a massive improvement over the standard trigger, the Stock is also the type with the raised cheekpiece and pistol grip checkering, so the whole rifle is much better than the standard Supersport.

Link below shows you what I mean, scroll down a bit to see the photo's.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ersport-custom

Pete
    P.S...Mine has the "well worn" look, lovingly applied by a few thoughtless previous owners....a few scrawks and dings on the woodwork and the bluing being well worn. Stock has been stippled by someone and, although it doesn't look nice, it actually feels good and offers grip. The off-colour pistol grip cap looks really naff, as well!

Someone fitted a Superstar style trigger blade at some point, too. And the trigger's certainly crisp enough to shoot them tight groups on paper and, most definitely, an excellent field trigger. I sort of take that pretend first stage up and treat it as a single stage trigger.

As I say, it really does have that well-worn look, like an everyday "farm tool", but the thing shoots that nicely that it will stay with me. And I wouldn't have thought I'd be saying this before owning the two rifles again in recent times, but I much prefer it to the Mercury S.

Not averse to getting another one, either, if one were to pop up at the right money........
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    P.S...Mine has the "well worn" look, lovingly applied by a few thoughtless previous owners....a few scrawks and dings on the woodwork and the bluing being well worn. Stock has been stippled by someone and, although it doesn't look nice, it actually feels good and offers grip. The off-colour pistol grip cap looks really naff, as well!

Someone fitted a Superstar style trigger blade at some point, too. And the trigger's certainly crisp enough to shoot them tight groups on paper and, most definitely, an excellent field trigger. I sort of take that pretend first stage up and treat it as a single stage trigger.

As I say, it really does have that well-worn look, like an everyday "farm tool", but the thing shoots that nicely that it will stay with me. And I wouldn't have thought I'd be saying this before owning the two rifles again in recent times, but I much prefer it to the Mercury S.

Not averse to getting another one, either, if one were to pop up at the right money........
    To be honest though Tone, although it's single stage trigger, I don't really notice any difference between that one or a HW/AA, I still seem to get a decent crisp let off and the same sort of accuracy, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest, it doesn't have the same sort of creep and crappy unpredictable let off you get with something like a Gamo.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Fully agree re the trigger, Pete. I find it very usable.

I also completely agree with the comments on the Gamo trigger. To be honest, that little Vipermax was accurate as standard, but was incredibly twangy. When I stripped it to fit the WW kit, I was also very pleasantly surprised with the build quality and finish to the piston and cylinder. But that trigger was really, really, really creepy.

Shame really, as the 25mm bore, long stroke and light piston made for ridiculously easy cocking and very pleasant firing characteristics.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Fully agree re the trigger, Pete. I find it very usable.

I also completely agree with the comments on the Gamo trigger. To be honest, that little Vipermax was accurate as standard, but was incredibly twangy. When I stripped it to fit the WW kit, I was also very pleasantly surprised with the build quality and finish to the piston and cylinder. But that trigger was really, really, really creepy.

Shame really, as the 25mm bore, long stroke and light piston made for ridiculously easy cocking and very pleasant firing characteristics.
    Yep, the same as my 'cock but luckily my trigger isn't too bad, it's usable but not brilliant.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in