Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Back in the real world a well sorted Original 45 with a 15 or 16 inch barrel and moderator.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if a 15/16 ins barrel would work ? I went to far with 12 ins and lost to much power.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Maybe he was referring to the 6 yards paper target version, Jim?
    I'm not sure the pellets would get quite that far, Tony.

In .177", an AA Field would only start to move when the piston was ~2.1mm from the cylinder wall, and a Hobby would start less than 1mm from the cylinder wall so, if the spring was monstrous enough to push the piston all the way, they'd only have in the order of a half to a quarter of a millisecond respectively to accelerate before the piston started to retreat.

Back on topic, the ideal break barrel IMO would have the weight and balance of something like the BSF B55 with a CD/Rekord trigger and the shot cycle of my LGV.

I'm quite lucky to already own my ultimate break barrel.
    Pro Elite Vglide reduced cylinder
    Last edited by Mr wobble; 18-06-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr wobble View Post
    I'm quite lucky to already own my ultimate break barrel.
    Pro Elite Vglide reduced cylinder
    Yep, I’d second that. However, I’ve just sorted my little 95 .22 and can’t seem to put it down! In fact, I have just come in from an hours plinking session with my 14year daughter with it - now seriously considering getting her a hw30
    I don’t hunt anymore, if I did it would still be the PE.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Back on topic, the ideal break barrel IMO would have the weight and balance of something like the BSF B55 with a CD/Rekord trigger and the shot cycle of my LGV.
    But is it possible to make something that light and small behave as good as the LGV??

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    But is it possible to make something that light and small behave as good as the LGV??
    There are two aspects to recoil and surge; the displacement (travel) and the nature (acceleration/deceleration and vibration).

I could get my HW95 to match either the displacement, or the nature, but not both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

So, in terms of rifles currently available, I'm thinking that the delightful little HW99S would tick many of those boxes? Small, slim and lightweight. The Rekord trigger. A firing cycle that defies the usual logic of light & full power vs refinement. On your rig, I'm sure you would highlight areas to address to try and get the firing cycle as close as possible to the LGV and then be able to address them through pragmatic spring selection.

I think a "JT99" would feature towards the top of many people's lists.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    If I'm truly honest, I can't seem to put down my .25 Supersport/Lightning set up, I truly do enjoy shooting it and it could still be improved upon with a proper tune and set up.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    If I'm truly honest, I can't seem to put down my .25 Supersport/Lightning set up, I truly do enjoy shooting it and it could still be improved upon with a proper tune and set up.

Pete
    Good Supersports and Lightnings can be very good with the correct setup, and I really love the classic stock design on the old Supersports.
    Good seals, and good spring guides can make a huge difference! People complain about the barrel lockup, but if you are willing to invest some time in adjusting the forks, they can have a very accurate and repeatable lockup.
    The triggers can be good, but not quite up to the standard that is possible on other designs.
    But even if they are good guns, I haven't been able to get them as good as some other guns with narrower tubes and more advanced trigger mechanisms.

My tuned TX and the LGV have a shotcycle that I have yet to see equalled in other guns..

Good Supersports and Lightnings can be very good with the correct setup, and I really love the classic stock design on the old Supersports.
    Good seals, and good spring guides can make a huge difference! People complain about the barrel lockup, but if you are willing to invest some time in adjusting the forks, they can have a very accurate and repeatable lockup.
    The triggers can be good, but not quite up to the standard that is possible on other designs.
    But even if they are good guns, I haven't been able to get them as good as some other guns with narrower tubes and more advanced trigger mechanisms.

My tuned TX and the LGV have a shotcycle that I have yet to see equalled in other guns..
    I have the rare "Custom" model that has the nut and bolt breech (like what's fitted to the later Mercury/Challenger), so no sloppy breech and the trigger is the same what's on the Superstar/Goldstar, so a massive improvement over the standard trigger, the Stock is also the type with the raised cheekpiece and pistol grip checkering, so the whole rifle is much better than the standard Supersport.

Link below shows you what I mean, scroll down a bit to see the photo's.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ersport-custom

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Pete
    Pete, certainly from the point of view of having a handy, portable pointable rifle, I'm with you. Accurate too, as my good friend, Craig-P commented at a Bash, "It certainly hits what you point it at, doesn't it?", when he had a go with mine.

And I've had great fun with it, especially at The Hollow, and in particular, knocking great big chunks out of the pumpkin set out at about 30 yards at last year's Halloween Bash.

In terms of further improving your .25, I'd suggest switching back to a .22. Even if you aren't using one of the tight ".25" barrels, the calibre is more air hungry than the .22. So the .22 can be set up to shoot more sweetly. That one of mine is running those bits you sent me.....Tinbum guide & top hat and standard spring. It was running effortlessly at 14.5 with Superdomes! Latest set-up entailed three full coils off the spring and it runs absolutely effortlessly at just under 12 with the Hobby and JSB RS.

Sorry, I don't particularly like the "half-measure" breech bolt that much.

I do love my little 'Sport and it is a keeper but, like evert says, it won't ever quite display the level of refinement that guns like the LGV, TX, '77 etc can offer.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Thats been a dream since the first Bash... The missus has some libraries she wants to visit in the UK, so it might be possible to persuade her to take a trip..
    Be great to finally get to meet you, sir.

I have the rare "Custom" model that has the nut and bolt breech (like what's fitted to the later Mercury/Challenger), so no sloppy breech and the trigger is the same what's on the Superstar/Goldstar, so a massive improvement over the standard trigger, the Stock is also the type with the raised cheekpiece and pistol grip checkering, so the whole rifle is much better than the standard Supersport.

Link below shows you what I mean, scroll down a bit to see the photo's.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ersport-custom

Pete
    P.S...Mine has the "well worn" look, lovingly applied by a few thoughtless previous owners....a few scrawks and dings on the woodwork and the bluing being well worn. Stock has been stippled by someone and, although it doesn't look nice, it actually feels good and offers grip. The off-colour pistol grip cap looks really naff, as well!

Someone fitted a Superstar style trigger blade at some point, too. And the trigger's certainly crisp enough to shoot them tight groups on paper and, most definitely, an excellent field trigger. I sort of take that pretend first stage up and treat it as a single stage trigger.

As I say, it really does have that well-worn look, like an everyday "farm tool", but the thing shoots that nicely that it will stay with me. And I wouldn't have thought I'd be saying this before owning the two rifles again in recent times, but I much prefer it to the Mercury S.

Not averse to getting another one, either, if one were to pop up at the right money........

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    P.S...Mine has the "well worn" look, lovingly applied by a few thoughtless previous owners....a few scrawks and dings on the woodwork and the bluing being well worn. Stock has been stippled by someone and, although it doesn't look nice, it actually feels good and offers grip. The off-colour pistol grip cap looks really naff, as well!

Someone fitted a Superstar style trigger blade at some point, too. And the trigger's certainly crisp enough to shoot them tight groups on paper and, most definitely, an excellent field trigger. I sort of take that pretend first stage up and treat it as a single stage trigger.

As I say, it really does have that well-worn look, like an everyday "farm tool", but the thing shoots that nicely that it will stay with me. And I wouldn't have thought I'd be saying this before owning the two rifles again in recent times, but I much prefer it to the Mercury S.

Not averse to getting another one, either, if one were to pop up at the right money........
    To be honest though Tone, although it's single stage trigger, I don't really notice any difference between that one or a HW/AA, I still seem to get a decent crisp let off and the same sort of accuracy, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest, it doesn't have the same sort of creep and crappy unpredictable let off you get with something like a Gamo.

Pete

Fully agree re the trigger, Pete. I find it very usable.

I also completely agree with the comments on the Gamo trigger. To be honest, that little Vipermax was accurate as standard, but was incredibly twangy. When I stripped it to fit the WW kit, I was also very pleasantly surprised with the build quality and finish to the piston and cylinder. But that trigger was really, really, really creepy.

Shame really, as the 25mm bore, long stroke and light piston made for ridiculously easy cocking and very pleasant firing characteristics.