Thread: flintlock kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

flintlock kit

whats in your kit,
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    whats in your kit,
    Kit? Are you asking a question? As in set of components to build a flintlock rifle or pistol?

range kit /possible bag, tools etc that sort of kit
    ballkeeper

I have a small box of bits I use with my flintlock.
    I have a half size hat pin to clear the flash hole. A small bristle brush to clean the flash pan if it starts to get caked with residue, a small brass hammer to give the flint a tap if it misfires. (Changing the angle slightly can save you changing the flint). I also have a small tin with pre-cut leather pieces for when I change the flint, and spare flints, and a slim screwdriver to undo the hammer screw that holds the flint.
    I also take a pistol rod with me with a brush on to clean out the bore if need to, and a brass ramrod as I do not use the one with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I have a small box of bits I use with my flintlock.
    I have a half size hat pin to clear the flash hole. A small bristle brush to clean the flash pan if it starts to get caked with residue, a small brass hammer to give the flint a tap if it misfires. (Changing the angle slightly can save you changing the flint). I also have a small tin with pre-cut leather pieces for when I change the flint, and spare flints, and a slim screwdriver to undo the hammer screw that holds the flint.
    I also take a pistol rod with me with a brush on to clean out the bore if need to, and a brass ramrod as I do not use the one with the gun.
    cheers enfield2band
    hat pin a good idea ,do you use a pan primer? some may say not to use at the firing point, others not bothered ?
    what sort of thickness leather do you use.
    ballkeeper

cheers enfield2band
    hat pin a good idea ,do you use a pan primer? some may say not to use at the firing point, others not bothered ?
    The leather I use is about 2mm thick. it is the back panel off an old leather chair. It is enough to grip the flint and the jaws on the cock. Some people prefer thin lead sheet. I have tried it and prefer leather.

I prime my flashpan from a flask after I have loaded it.

I think the best place to prime the pan is on the firing point. Once it is loaded and the flashpan has been primed it is in effect a loaded gun and should be treated accordingly.

That is just my opinion and others may differ.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    cheers enfield2band
    Bit confused. If you cannot prime the pan at the firing point then where can you?

Following an accident where a shooter lost a finger while priming (a matchlock as it happens) I think the MLAGB allow priming only from either a single dose phial or from one of those tiny priming flasks. I would not be happy priming from a larger flask, and anyway it will work better if using a finer powder than the main charge for priming
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL